What ship next?

Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Mongorians
Novice
Novice
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu May 07, 2015 11:23 am
CMDR: Mongorians
CMDR_Platform: None Specified
Contact:

What ship next?

Postby Mongorians » Thu May 14, 2015 11:12 am

I currently have a decently equipped Vulture. I have noticed that there is quite a substantial gap between this and those like the FDL and Python. Is there something I am missing or should I just continue my RES grind to get into those ships price range?

Thanks,

CMDR Mongorians
Image

Philip Coutts
Expert
Expert
Posts: 404
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:20 am
CMDR: Coutts
CMDR_Platform: None Specified
Contact:

Re: What ship next?

Postby Philip Coutts » Thu May 14, 2015 11:28 am

The issue is the Vulture is just too damn good. Absolute wrecking ball of a ship and it isn't that expensive. I've heard some players just don't get along with the FDL because of the hardpoint placement and the Python is rather pricey. I think Frontier need to add some more ships to provide some different paths to take.
Image

User avatar
de Carabas
Master
Master
Posts: 1255
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:23 pm
CMDR: de Carabas
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC
Contact:

Re: What ship next?

Postby de Carabas » Thu May 14, 2015 11:52 am

Yep, more ships needed. We're supposed to be getting 30 in total (before any expansions) but no idea when the last will be available.
Two more coming in 1.3 and we don't know the prices yet.
Originally the Vulture was much more expensive before the uproar on the main forum encouraged FD to reduce the price of both the Vulture and the FdL.
Image
Rename your screen shots automatically! - Screen Shot Changer Visit MartianFire for more info.

User avatar
stummies
Competent
Competent
Posts: 124
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:05 pm
CMDR: Stummies
CMDR_Platform: None Specified
Contact:

Re: What ship next?

Postby stummies » Thu May 14, 2015 11:55 am

The Vulture is the most efficient at RES farming, as of now, don' t know how this will change when they add the low/high intensity RES sites with 1.3. That said, I think the largest reason you're seeing some jaded opinions regarding those ships is functionally they're overkill. I've become pretty good at piloting my FDL and having a lot more fun farming RES than the Vulture. While the Vulture probably kills quicker the spawn rate does limit what you can get, and the FDL is more capable of handling incoming fire. When I flew the Vulture if the local pirates were hostile it wouldn't take much to overwhelm the ship, where as the FDL can tank the damage a lot better (double the shield strength).

I agree more ships will help this, but unless you add more content you're just replacing the flavor of the month with something different instead of giving people reasons to branch out. The other problem is say they do add a ship between the FDL/Python and the Vulture, what can they do to improve the ship? The Vulture is admittedly already nearly perfect for RES farming, you could argue that was the intent when they designed it since it fits so well. There are only really two options here, make it unique and quirky which they've done with the FDL and as pointed out netted mixed opinions, or make it better than/nerf the Vulture.
Image

Mongorians
Novice
Novice
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu May 07, 2015 11:23 am
CMDR: Mongorians
CMDR_Platform: None Specified
Contact:

Re: What ship next?

Postby Mongorians » Thu May 14, 2015 12:29 pm

stummies wrote:The Vulture is the most efficient at RES farming, as of now, don' t know how this will change when they add the low/high intensity RES sites with 1.3. That said, I think the largest reason you're seeing some jaded opinions regarding those ships is functionally they're overkill. I've become pretty good at piloting my FDL and having a lot more fun farming RES than the Vulture. While the Vulture probably kills quicker the spawn rate does limit what you can get, and the FDL is more capable of handling incoming fire. When I flew the Vulture if the local pirates were hostile it wouldn't take much to overwhelm the ship, where as the FDL can tank the damage a lot better (double the shield strength).

I agree more ships will help this, but unless you add more content you're just replacing the flavor of the month with something different instead of giving people reasons to branch out. The other problem is say they do add a ship between the FDL/Python and the Vulture, what can they do to improve the ship? The Vulture is admittedly already nearly perfect for RES farming, you could argue that was the intent when they designed it since it fits so well. There are only really two options here, make it unique and quirky which they've done with the FDL and as pointed out netted mixed opinions, or make it better than/nerf the Vulture.


Oh man if they nerf the vulture I am beyond screwed. I would have to resort to trading in a type 7 until the next combat capable frame was in reach.
Image

User avatar
Senex VII
Novice
Novice
Posts: 73
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:31 am
CMDR: Senex VII
CMDR_Platform: None Specified
Contact:

Re: What ship next?

Postby Senex VII » Thu May 14, 2015 2:30 pm

In my view, the Vulture is a means to an end, not an end in itself. It does what it does - RES farming - arguably better than anything else. It's quick and efficient and highly profitable, and it carries very little risk. I racked up nearly 200 kills in a single day in the recent Secure Zaonce CG, and brought my standing with the Alliance from neutral to allied. But would you want to do that all the time?

On the other hand, don't get rid of the vulture. Mine is currently stored at Alioth. I used the proceeds of the Zaonce CG, along with selling my Asp, to buy a Type 7. The Type 7 I used to get top 15% in Cultivating the corn, which in turn allowed me to buy back my Asp. So rather than trying to constantly 'upgrade' my ship, or find a do-everything ship like the Python, I'm getting a whole stable of ships.

There's no single ship that's best for everything. There's no single ship that you will enjoy flying all the time. And sometimes you just have to bring in the credits to make the next steps.

So why not make your own stable of specialist ships? That way you can fly the best at doing each thing, when you want to. And if you don't currently have that ship, you at least always have the means to achieve it quickly.

User avatar
StaticRadion
Expert
Expert
Posts: 425
Joined: Sun May 10, 2015 4:25 pm
CMDR: StaticRadion
CMDR_Platform: None Specified
Contact:

Re: What ship next?

Postby StaticRadion » Thu May 14, 2015 3:37 pm

Mongorians wrote:Oh man if they nerf the vulture I am beyond screwed. I would have to resort to trading in a type 7 until the next combat capable frame was in reach.


Funny that you should mention the Type-7 because that is what I was going to bring up. If you can find a nice trade location with a 7-10 min round trip with an 1800 credit per ton total profit I would probably go that rout. If you can meet those conditions at 216 tons the Type-7 will bring in between 2.3 and 3.3 mill an hour. That is unless you think you make more than that in a RES session.
Image

Mongorians
Novice
Novice
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu May 07, 2015 11:23 am
CMDR: Mongorians
CMDR_Platform: None Specified
Contact:

Re: What ship next?

Postby Mongorians » Fri May 15, 2015 11:02 am

StaticRadion wrote:
Mongorians wrote:Oh man if they nerf the vulture I am beyond screwed. I would have to resort to trading in a type 7 until the next combat capable frame was in reach.


Funny that you should mention the Type-7 because that is what I was going to bring up. If you can find a nice trade location with a 7-10 min round trip with an 1800 credit per ton total profit I would probably go that rout. If you can meet those conditions at 216 tons the Type-7 will bring in between 2.3 and 3.3 mill an hour. That is unless you think you make more than that in a RES session.


Unfortunately that is not the case. The most I have made in an hour in the best RES I have found was 2.5 mill. After that its been 1.1-1.6 mill, I will have to give the type 7 option a try. Just need to research the best ways to plan a route and what trade tools to use.
Image

klccd2
Harmless
Harmless
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri May 15, 2015 7:55 am
CMDR_Platform: None Specified
Contact:

Re: What ship next?

Postby klccd2 » Fri May 15, 2015 12:14 pm

Is there any best(cheapest) system to buy a ship in, getting out of my type 6 into an asp hopefully

User avatar
StaticRadion
Expert
Expert
Posts: 425
Joined: Sun May 10, 2015 4:25 pm
CMDR: StaticRadion
CMDR_Platform: None Specified
Contact:

Re: What ship next?

Postby StaticRadion » Fri May 15, 2015 7:21 pm

klccd2 wrote:Is there any best(cheapest) system to buy a ship in, getting out of my type 6 into an asp hopefully


Last i checked the ASP in specific has a 20% discount for those with the permit to Alioth, Irkutsk Station. You are a lucky guy because even if you don't have the permit already the community goal that came out today should make it a lot easier to pick up.
Image


Return to “General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 29 guests

i