Let's Talk Thargoids!

Eveything that is canon in the Elite: Dangerous universe.
EAGLE 5
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: EAGLE 5
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Let's Talk Thargoids!

Postby EAGLE 5 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:36 am

Octopoid wrote:Scooping up Tharglets.. I remember it well :)

Would be great if the Alliance got some sort of Alien tie-in against the Empire and Federation, that's a story line I would be interested in :)

That would be fun but in all likelihood the Thargoids exchange netted humanity (the Alliance specifically) advances in sciences not directly related to weaponry. It would not have been logical for them to hand their greatest foe the secrets to their weapons which have proved to be devastatingly more capable.

de Carabas
Master
Master
CMDR: de Carabas
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby de Carabas » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:31 pm

I might be opening myself up to ridicule (for a change) but is there any reason why I was under the impression that Thargoids were actually six foot tall Rabbit like creatures?

Or is this just another memory from when I was 11 that actually turns out to be total nonsense and something to add to the list of stuff to talk to a shrink about? :P
Rename your screen shots automatically! - Screen Shot Changer Visit MartianFire for more info.

HAMM3R
Expert
Expert
CMDR: HAMM3R

Postby HAMM3R » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:33 pm

They're actually rodents. Here's a picture of a Thargoid pilot on a small combat ship.

Scooping fuel is very much like making love to a beautiful woman. First check the target is hot enough,
then approach slowly. Once close enough, pull out your scoop and fill her up. After you're done just
gently pull away, turn around and leave.

de Carabas
Master
Master
CMDR: de Carabas

Postby de Carabas » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:47 pm

HAMM3R wrote:They're actually rodents. Here's a picture of a Thargoid pilot on a small combat ship.

Here is where a suitable reply should be posted. I can't do that because my brain just totally got fried trying to process the meaning of that picture. Thanks HAMM3R :D
Rename your screen shots automatically! - Screen Shot Changer Visit MartianFire for more info.

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth

Postby Xebeth » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:08 pm

EAGLE 5 wrote:That would be fun but in all likelihood the Thargoids exchange netted humanity (the Alliance specifically) advances in sciences not directly related to weaponry. It would not have been logical for them to hand their greatest foe the secrets to their weapons which have proved to be devastatingly more capable.

Hmm, because we have no examples of one power giving weapons and training to another power just to end fighting them later in a drawn-out and protracted war ;)
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth

Postby Xebeth » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:18 pm

It's also possible that the original peace treaty between humans and Thargoids was unsanctioned by the Queen, or in the intervening 50 years there has been some sort of coup. The Thargoids may well have been using this time to fully remove the Mycoid virus and return themselves to full strength.

Alternatively, our first interaction may be with some renegade faction of the Thargoids, perhaps they are having their own power struggles and one group may even need humanities help.

Of course they may simply now be a bunch of psychotic bugs bent on galactic domination, in which case much pew pew will ensue...
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

EAGLE 5
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: EAGLE 5

Postby EAGLE 5 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:47 am

Quiet now. There is nothing to see here and please steer clear of the "advisors" ;)

I do agree that we will encounter Thargoids with different levels of disposition towrd Humans. That will be quite a challenge because to us stuipd Humans "they all look alike"

Speaking of Thargoid physiology one game that I used to play as a kid at the same time I had the original Elite was Obliterator. The splash/screen box art creature is what I always pictured one to be. Partially mechanical part parasite with insect like features. Image

Mikisew01
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Vandal Stormovik

Postby Mikisew01 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:13 pm

I am somewhat surprised that this thread has not been picked back up since our latest discoveries of Thargoid crashed ships in Horizons. I find it interesting that the approach Galnet has taken is that humanity thinks the original encounters could have been a myth, but now with these ships found that it is bringing new questions to everyone. Any thoughts about our newest discoveries of Thargoid ships?

UnmarkedBoxcar
Master
Master
CMDR: UnmarkedBoxcar

Postby UnmarkedBoxcar » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:25 pm

It's interesting to me because the alien crash sites look organic and thargoid-y, yet the ancient ruins seem to be of a different sort of construction. I'm currently watching a rather interesting video made by a Commander Josh Hawkins about the "largest alien crash site" yet found. It's...kinda fascinating.

Bolasie
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Bolasie

Postby Bolasie » Thu May 25, 2017 10:46 am

So maybe his real name is Edmund Mahondibles, or even Edmundibles Mahondibles. Someone needs to tear that rubber face off of him and reveal the wobbly insectoid mandibles. I have seen 'V' (the original in the eighties of course), so of course I know what I am talking/babbling/rambling about. Death to the insectoids.

Unless of course they are going to give us better FSD technology, in which case I give a hearty handshake and friendly welcome to our new insect overlords!

Return to “Official Lore Talk”