GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Xbox 360 controller and the Oculus Rift

Postby GlobusDiablo » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:02 pm

Just a thought.

I'm using the 360 controller and very happy with. This also means that I won't have to switch controllers if we ever get to walk around in this awesome game.
But I have a plan to go "total immersion" when the OR goes retail. So I noticed that the standard config for the 360 has roll and pitch on the left analogue stick, but in the cockpit animation roll and pitch are on my right hand.

So aside from a lot of other minor alterations, I've moved roll and pitch to my right analogue stick, and vertical and horizontal thrust to my left analogue stick. Takes a bit of getting used to, but I'm counting on it bettering the immersion when it's time for the OR. Now moving right analogue stick moves my right hand in the cockpit.

Any other thoughts on the subject?

SJT
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Stephen Taylor
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Xbox 360 controller and the Oculus Rift

Postby SJT » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:36 pm

I can't comment on the experience with the 360 controller as I use an X52 Pro with the OR. When I look down And see the stick movements in the game world, it does make me feel like those arms are really my arms moving those sticks.

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:46 pm

SJT wrote:I can't comment on the experience with the 360 controller as I use an X52 Pro with the OR. When I look down And see the stick movements in the game world, it does make me feel like those arms are really my arms moving those sticks.

I've had the x52 pro at the top of my wish list for some time.
But having to swap to a gamepad "when" we get first person movement has made me settle for the 360. It's actually quite alright.

Feedback on the OR would be nice. Are you happy with it? Do you know when it goes retail?

SJT
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Stephen Taylor
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby SJT » Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:35 pm

GlobusDiablo wrote:
SJT wrote:I can't comment on the experience with the 360 controller as I use an X52 Pro with the OR. When I look down And see the stick movements in the game world, it does make me feel like those arms are really my arms moving those sticks.

I've had the x52 pro at the top of my wish list for some time.
But having to swap to a gamepad "when" we get first person movement has made me settle for the 360. It's actually quite alright.

Feedback on the OR would be nice. Are you happy with it? Do you know when it goes retail?

The DK2 is a great and using it with ED is a fantastic experience. Imagine flying through the superstructure of a capital ship and getting out of your seat and looking around the Cobra cockpit! However, it does have its drawbacks.

It can be very uncomfortable after extended periods. This depends a lot on the structure of your face. I've improved comfort by having it hang on my face rather than have the strap tight at the back of my head like you would with goggles.

Text in ED can be difficult to read due to the choice of orange HUD. There's more green pixels in the Samsung panel than anything else and changing the HUD text to a pure green with the hack has made it very clear. Unfortunately it messes up your other colours.

You do need a decent card to run ED at a decent frame rate. I had a 760 and this was a bit poor so have now got a 980 to run it at the 75hz of the OR. Remember the OR DK2 is HD but the pixels are split between each eye so you're only getting half HD resolution in reality.

The Galaxy map looks great with OR but is very difficult to control. This is up to FD to fix. To be fair, using OR is clearly marked as experimental in the options and they probably won't be spending too much time soon on fixing it. Of course, unless you're a good typist, you need to remove the rift to see the keyboard for typing system names into search. For all other controls I use the X52 Pro and Voiceattack. My daughter can wander around in Minecraft with the Rift for ages with nonill effects.

I've not had a problem with sickness in ED. It seems like I only suffer from it when I'm seated in real life but walking in game (Alien Isolation).

I mainly play with TrackIR5 which I can highly recommend. I use the OR for some dogfighting and sight-seeing when I want the extra wow-factor and I'm not bothered with reading bulletin boards or typing.

There's loads more info on the VR page on the official forum.

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:57 pm

SJT wrote:The DK2 is a great and using it with ED is a fantastic experience. Imagine flying through the superstructure of a capital ship and getting out of your seat and looking around the Cobra cockpit! However, it does have its drawbacks.......

Thanks SJT.

It'll be interesting to see what the retail version can do, and when E: D have it implemented properly.

Return to “Hardware and Technical”