Community Support for the machines running the game
blazingmaniac
Expert
Expert
CMDR: blazing
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: 1440p Monitor Selection

Postby blazingmaniac » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:28 pm

ok.......... well it's arrived and installed.

First impressions.... It's HUGE!!!!!! like absolutely massive. I have a big desk that coped fine with 3 x 24" screens but this is a monster!!

Ok the bits you actually want to know.

I have mainly had go of ED and The Division with the majority of time spend on ED.

So firstly, on loading ED it defaulted to 1680 x 1050 for the menus which looked ok actually.
I then changed the resolution to 1920 x 1080 and it is looks fine, it's not as crystal clear as a native monitor at that size but it is pretty good.
Next was 2540 x 1440p. This looked really good, not hideously stretched and much sharper as you would expect.
The for the full 4k which looked really good, it's weird as it is soooo clear.

As for frame rates. I turned V-Sync off and in full 4k mode with all detail levels unchanged I was getting over 60fps in the station. I tried the debug cam as well and that was also hovering around 61-62 frames.
Next i launched as i thought maybe sitting stationary is not as demanding. Stayed at over 60fps.
Once clear of the station frame rates went up to mid 70's!!!
Ok planet time....

61 + fps all the way in from space, through orbit and then landing, maybe the odd dip to 58/59 fps very briefly.
SRV... 60 +fps both in the base and all the way to 10 kms out.
The only time I saw a dip in fps was when i called my ship in, it then dropped to approx 48/49 for a short while and this was while I was stationary in the SRV.

So will it do 1440p, Yes it really will and it is pretty decent as well. 1080p is plenty usable as well if you are struggling with the higher resolutions and need more performance.

The Division at 4k ran well, according to the onscreen frame rate clock it was between 31 fps and 48. Obviously G-Sync is working it's magic as it was buttery smooth.

I also had a very quick go on BF4 and that ran in 4k as well, I didnt make a note of the fps but it felt smooth and looked good. When i checked some of the settings had been lowered so I need to have a play about with that at a later date and see what it can handle detail wise.

**UPDATE** just did a station approach and landing at Raff's in 1440p mode and was getting 120fps all the way in.

CMDR Abil Midena
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Abil Midena

Postby CMDR Abil Midena » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:30 pm

This is not good news for my wallet.

Thanks for the update. Keep them coming.

edit* How 'sharp' would you say 4k is, especially compared to 1080?
Is it deadly razor sharp, butterknife sharp, or Reese Witherspoon's chin sharp?
My Youtube Channel
Elite - Elite - Elite

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:44 pm

CMDR Abil Midena wrote:This is not good news for my wallet.

Thanks for the update. Keep them coming.

edit* How 'sharp' would you say 4k is, especially compared to 1080?
Is it deadly razor sharp, butterknife sharp, or Reese Witherspoon's chin sharp?

I'm guessing it's like coming out of a 10 year stint in a POW camp an finally getting new glasses.

Sharp really isn't the right term, it's just 4x as many pixels of all the things.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Darr Valen
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Darr Valen
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Darr Valen » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:14 pm

CMDR Abil Midena wrote:I'm trying to keep the three of us and our specs/fps straight...

We each have an ssd and 16gb ram...throw those out.
Our cpus are different, and our gpus are different. I'd have to look up the relative performance for the CPU's, but so little has changed in the last 4-5 yrs, I dunno if it matters for games. It does for stuff like video editing, etc, but not so much for games.

So for the GPU's...I know using SS to get 4k-like isn't the same performance wise as just running 4k, but it gives a good idea.

Pixels:
780(what res are you running ED Darr?).
980:6080x1080 for 6.5M. - 1.5SS for 9.8M - 3840x2160 for 8.3M.
1080:5760x1080 for 6.2M - 1.5SS for 9.3M - 2.0SS for 12.4M

So...
ED FPS@pix:

ED FPS@pix:
? @6.5M
60 space / Low 40's station / High 30-Low 40 planet @ 9.8M
TBD@ 8.3M

ED FPS@pix:
60 everywhere@6.2M.
XXspace/YYstation/ZZplanet @1.5 SS 9.3M I don't friggin remember because I'm old. Will redo and post.
AAspace/BBstation/CCplanet @2.0 SS 12.4M I don't friggin remember because I'm old. Will redo and post.
What I do recall is that 2.0 SS was playable, but the HUD/station still looked like jagged aliased ass, which is my main beef with ED.

W3 FPS@pix
Mid-50's @6.2M (this was mid-20's when I was running on my 780ti).

I can update this if you guys feed me da infos.

E:D keeps consistent 60FPS since I've tuned the settings to do so. 1920x1080 is my res. I don't normally run scaled if I plan to land on a planet, otherwise it's 2715x1527, with the same settings otherwise. I see drops to 50fps or so depending on the amount of things going on in that area, but otherwise, I hold at 60fps. Obviously the drops are problematic.. but my 780 was just not enough to hit 4 years without dropping settings. 4 years was my build goal overall.

blazingmaniac wrote:ok.......... well it's arrived and installed.

First impressions.... It's HUGE!!!!!! like absolutely massive. I have a big desk that coped fine with 3 x 24" screens but this is a monster!!

Ok the bits you actually want to know.

I have mainly had go of ED and The Division with the majority of time spend on ED.

So firstly, on loading ED it defaulted to 1680 x 1050 for the menus which looked ok actually.
I then changed the resolution to 1920 x 1080 and it is looks fine, it's not as crystal clear as a native monitor at that size but it is pretty good.
Next was 2540 x 1440p. This looked really good, not hideously stretched and much sharper as you would expect.
The for the full 4k which looked really good, it's weird as it is soooo clear.

As for frame rates. I turned V-Sync off and in full 4k mode with all detail levels unchanged I was getting over 60fps in the station. I tried the debug cam as well and that was also hovering around 61-62 frames.
Next i launched as i thought maybe sitting stationary is not as demanding. Stayed at over 60fps.
Once clear of the station frame rates went up to mid 70's!!!
Ok planet time....

61 + fps all the way in from space, through orbit and then landing, maybe the odd dip to 58/59 fps very briefly.
SRV... 60 +fps both in the base and all the way to 10 kms out.
The only time I saw a dip in fps was when i called my ship in, it then dropped to approx 48/49 for a short while and this was while I was stationary in the SRV.

So will it do 1440p, Yes it really will and it is pretty decent as well. 1080p is plenty usable as well if you are struggling with the higher resolutions and need more performance.

The Division at 4k ran well, according to the onscreen frame rate clock it was between 31 fps and 48. Obviously G-Sync is working it's magic as it was buttery smooth.

I also had a very quick go on BF4 and that ran in 4k as well, I didnt make a note of the fps but it felt smooth and looked good. When i checked some of the settings had been lowered so I need to have a play about with that at a later date and see what it can handle detail wise.

**UPDATE** just did a station approach and landing at Raff's in 1440p mode and was getting 120fps all the way in.

I'm having trouble finding that monitor for sale here.. But the 27" versions are easy to find. The clarity thing I get. When Netflix or Amazon buffers to 2160, it all of the suddens is like looking through binoculars, and tuning the focus just right to get a clear image. I'm still hesitant to go 4K, since I don't upgrade every 1.5-2 years. But I would love to have another UHD screen, especially a pc monitor, in the house. UHD looks so amazing. It's like seeing an image with glasses for the first time, or at least I assume so, since I have no vision issues. 32" is big. I replaced my 32" with my current monitor before. 32" is just so freakin' obstructive on most desks. It's not a bad size at all, it's just a huge size. A proper 32-34" screen would be pretty good to look at though, especially compared to those people that game on large TVs.. that's just heresy. large tv gaming is not comparable to large monitor gaming..

Is your 980ti at stock clocks or? If my gaming pc was X99, I'd have ordered 2 1080FTWs and HB SLI'd them.. but that's my server. My z87 is x16 or x8, and I don't have any experience doing x8 SLI gaming. if it would even be worth it, which I assume it would not be. Then again, I bought a 5820k, not a 5960k, because I didn't need 40 PCI-e lanes.. so that's a moot point anyway. I'm certainly not buying a new i7 to get full x16 SLI speed.. Something I might need to look into.

I digress.I guess I might as well put my order in for a 1080FTW, and hope that the TI launches within 90 days. Or wait for a Hybrid to come back in stock.

You know what, nevermind. I'm going 1440p 144. I love UHD.. I just can't justify the eventual GPU upgrade in 1-2 years to keep the levels in gaming I want.

Darr Valen
Expert
Expert

Postby Darr Valen » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:01 pm

I did it.. I can't believe how much it was.. but I did it.

Asus ROG Swift PG279Q and an EVGA 1080 FTW. Arriving Friday (unless some stupid storm delays)
Decided I didn't care enough about getting a Hydro to wait.. as my SC ACX has run fantastically this entire time.
So I'll have my first main-screen IPS, 1440p, and Gsync screen.

So yeah.. my bank account takes a hit, but I have a new monitor and gpu incoming. Now to go hyperventilate at that price for a while.

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:25 pm

Darr Valen wrote: Now to go hyperventilate at that price for a while.

Don't worry.....I'm doing that for you...... :shock:

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:42 pm

I still have $700 left on the mastercard after the rift, and some other stuff..

And now the washing machine is making new grinding, ticking noises..

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

blazingmaniac
Expert
Expert
CMDR: blazing

Postby blazingmaniac » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:53 pm

Darr Valen wrote:I did it.. I can't believe how much it was.. but I did it.

Asus ROG Swift PG279Q and an EVGA 1080 FTW. Arriving Friday (unless some stupid storm delays)
Decided I didn't care enough about getting a Hydro to wait.. as my SC ACX has run fantastically this entire time.

So yeah.. my bank account takes a hit, but I have a new monitor and gpu incoming. Now to go hyperventilate at that price for a while.

I am sure you will be a happy person when it's all up and running though :D

Darr Valen
Expert
Expert

Postby Darr Valen » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:57 pm

blazingmaniac wrote:
Darr Valen wrote:I did it.. I can't believe how much it was.. but I did it.

I am sure you will be a happy person when it's all up and running though :D

I sincerely hope so. Never spent this much on a monitor.. TV, sure.. but not a monitor. And I'm more aware of how bad my framerate is in the witcher 3.. Running behind a knight and getting 52-60fps.
no bueno.

Newegg had/has the 34" predator 3440 freesync on sale for $30 more than what mine was.. Too bad there's no AMD equivalent nearing a 1080. Not fanboyism, just fact.

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:37 pm

TorTorden wrote:I still have $700 left on the mastercard after the rift, and some other stuff..

And now the washing machine is making new grinding, ticking noises..

Just become a nudist - problem solved.
It's time to give this another go.

Return to “Hardware and Technical”