Community Support for the machines running the game
TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: 1440p Monitor Selection

Postby TorTorden » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:38 pm

Darr Valen wrote:GPU and Monitor just arrived. Will update shortly with results.
*fingers CROSSSSSSSSSSED not BLB*

Here's some happy thoughts and well wishes :)

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Darr Valen
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Darr Valen
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Darr Valen » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:48 pm

TorTorden wrote:
Darr Valen wrote:GPU and Monitor just arrived. Will update shortly with results.
*fingers CROSSSSSSSSSSED not BLB*

Here's some happy thoughts and well wishes :)

I would have posted more info.. but.. Seriously, this looks so good. I keep jumping into games to test it out. 120FPS or more is easily doable in E:D with the following settings:

Haven't had time to tweak settings more than just clicking the max optimum in the GeForce Experience 3.0 menu for 2560x1440. I think I might scale to DSR's UHD.

*Edit* Forgot to say thanks!

Some new results of testing. Quite a change from "not ready" sitting at the the line between red and yellow.
De-clocked to ensure stability with new hardware.

Darr Valen
Expert
Expert

Postby Darr Valen » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:50 pm

GTA V with the following settings:

So, the FPS. In the GTA V Benchmark, I was keeping a solid 60-110FPS. Drops as low at 35. Not bad considering. In game, I was solid 45-60 in town. When I went out to the PCH, I hit my first frame drops, down to 32-35FPS in the lowest spots. This however brings up a serious suggestion. If you're buying a new monitor, BUY A GSYNC EQUIPPED PANEL. Seriously. With Gsync, I didn't notice my low frame rates until the things dropped below 40FPS. Above that, it felt like I was viewing a normal 60FPS panel. I was looking at my FPS, looking at the game. It was smooth and nice. No tearing or chopping. Around 38 it started getting low-fps looking, and at 35 it was clearly visible, but not that bad still.

When I was in a Luxor flying over the hills to the city, I was low flying and fast, and my frame rate dropped to the lowest I'd seen, at 28FPS or so. Flew through downtown keeping 45-55FPS though, and a bit of altitude solved most of the frame drops. Again, I'm WELL over what I'd normally run at, which will be 2560x1440. I'm at 5K. But remember, G-Sync was working, so 45-55 looked like standard 60FPS. So a non-issue there.

Now this is just so freakin' beyond the scope of waht I was expecting. I'm sure I could have gone with a 4K panel now.. but I'm fine with what I have. This IPS is beautiful to look at, and has confirmed my belief that my cheap IPS info screens are not of the same quality as this screen. I'm just blown away. If you're shopping for a new monitor this year, 1440p w/Gsync won't steer you wrong. I forgot to open precision X or GPU Z to monitor my GPU.. but it's been silent and running like a champ, so I wasn't overly concerned. Sitting at 45ºC right now, which is not bad considering it's tech-hot in this bubble of my room. The 1080 is a seriously powerful card.. I feel like I didn't get a full GPU in the 780, compared to how much faster and more powerful this 1080 is.

I'll post a few more of these in the coming week as I get into games. Right now, I want to test out Lego Harry Potter at 1440. I would try Bioshock Remastered, but that game is a terrible mess that hasn't run as well as the original.. and doesn't look as good so far, compared to the original, which allowed you to force a bunch of stuff on via the NCP.

Will login to WoW and Paragon later and take some measurements. Will do Battlefront tomorrow most likely. I already played it a bit earlier, and wow.. it's just.. wow.

This is a bit of a long read.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:26 pm

It's a wonder you have the time to type it all out ;)
I remember forgetting to type up some opinions on VR for a couple of weeks since I was to busy having an awesome time :D

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Darr Valen
Expert
Expert

Postby Darr Valen » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:57 pm

TorTorden wrote:It's a wonder you have the time to type it all out ;)
I remember forgetting to type up some opinions on VR for a couple of weeks since I was to busy having an awesome time :D

I can't dive into games for long right now. Busy RL.

Results from Lego Star Wars The Force Awakens:
Motion Sickness from bad design, returned. Motion Blur forced back on..
Keeping 190-200FPS, which is effectively hitting the cap of 143Hz (no idea why they're hertz steps are in odd numbers.. 29, 43, 59, 143, etc)
Game plays amazingly at 2560x1440 with the 190-200FPS standard.
Game plays at 50-60FPS at 5K. Looks fine. Cannot play with borderless, as it is a bit ridiculous. Goes offscreen badly.

Will update with some more games once I boot onto my old SSD and windows 7. Wish I still had Dark Souls 2 and 3 installed.. Dark Souls 3 looked amazing at 1080p, which more than made up for that terrible circa 2001 JRPG combat system.

RadioActiveLobster
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: RadioActiveLobster

Postby RadioActiveLobster » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:52 pm

Darr Valen wrote:Yeah, Gsync on is one of the main reasons I'm buying a new monitor, so ULMB will be disabled.
Have you tried running Gsync with vsync turned off and if so, how was it? I'd read that you can disable vsync with gsync on now.

I run GSync with VSync off all the time. It's a 144 Hz monitor so you very rarely ever hit the limit and have to worry about V-Sync kicking in.

Darr Valen
Expert
Expert

Postby Darr Valen » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:29 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1f_iomLU0s

Just trying to land with a mouse and keyboard.. which is harder than it appears for someone that's always used a HOTAS. Why/how do people do it? This would make me want to go get a HOTAS if I didn't have one. Regardless. This is a test video of what it was like for me at 5k using DSR. Video itself supports up to 2160p60 if you want to see Elite at a higher res.

Now back to finishing The Witcher 3, so I can remove it for good, and get back into Elite. :mrgreen:

CMDR Abil Midena
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Abil Midena

Postby CMDR Abil Midena » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:04 am

blazingmaniac wrote:I can certainly have a go for you :)
E:D just looks amazing. And it really is razor sharp. For example on the python I can see metal textures on each panel on the ship. Planets look so realistic s you pass by them especially ELW's.
I am very happy with my investment it has to be said.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Did you get a chance to run with the new monitor in the middle, and 2 of your old ones on each side, and see if Nvidia surround works?

How did it look?
My Youtube Channel
Elite - Elite - Elite

blazingmaniac
Expert
Expert
CMDR: blazing

Postby blazingmaniac » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:56 am

I haven't yet as been too busy trying every game I own I 4k lol. I'll do it today as I am back to work tomorrow so no pc game time for 2 weeks once that happens.

blazingmaniac
Expert
Expert
CMDR: blazing

Postby blazingmaniac » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:09 pm

OK I have done a quick test and it was not great. For some reason with the 4k screen in the center and the 2 x 1080p screens either side it restricted the resolution to no more than 3072 x 768 which was hideously low resolution. I could not get it to go to 5760 x 1080 at all. So it is a bit of a fail with surround sadly.

Return to “Hardware and Technical”