Community Support for the machines running the game
Xious
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Xious
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Horizons minimum systems requirements

Postby Xious » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:49 am

I haven't crossed over to Horizons yet and while looking at the Min Req's, it seems that my system is a bit behind.

My system handles normal ED with no problem though.

Currently, I have a dual core cpu and 4gb of ram. I'm ordering more memory but wondering if the cpu will handle Horizons.

What is different about Horizons that the specs are higher than ED?

de Carabas
Master
Master
CMDR: de Carabas
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Horizons minimum systems requirements

Postby de Carabas » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:11 pm

Minimum spec for the base game is Quad Core, so I guess you are running everything on low detail?

Horizons needs more grunt for the rendering of the planet surfaces, so for sure the processor is going to be important and so too will the GPU. What graphics card have you got?

I've got a laptop that is an i5 3300 (or somethign like that) with a 1GB 940M nvidia chip and 8GB RAM. It runs the base game OK on lower detail but driving on planet surfaces makes the game unplayable.
Rename your screen shots automatically! - Screen Shot Changer Visit MartianFire for more info.

Xious
Novice
Novice

Postby Xious » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:03 pm

The GPU is a Gforce 660 ti and the graphics are set to High with a few off the effects turned off. The game seems to run fine from what I can tell.

I'm checking to see if the mobo can accept an i5.

thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs

Postby thebs » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:24 pm

Xious wrote:I haven't crossed over to Horizons yet and while looking at the Min Req's, it seems that my system is a bit behind.
My system handles normal ED with no problem though.
Currently, I have a dual core cpu and 4gb of ram. I'm ordering more memory but wondering if the cpu will handle Horizons.
What is different about Horizons that the specs are higher than ED?

Two big things with ED 2.x (Horizons) ...

1) Native Win64, which not only means it supports >>2GiB heap in the program itself, as Win32 programs can only use 2GiB heap (at least not without requiring a processor w/PAE and a major performance hit in HIMEM paging), but also there is more memory consumption than 32-bit. Very long story, involves a discussion of computer architecture, how pointers and other structures work, both platform and software-level.

They needed the increased, 'flat addressing' heap for ...

2) OpenGL 3.x, greatly increased textures and capability, as well as a GPU to render it all. While the GPU is usually the limiter, the CPU can be a bottleneck. So you'll likely want a true, quad-core to drive the GPU and I/O with 2 cores, and another 2 cores for other operations (other I/O, non-GPU threads, etc...). Again, not dual-core/quad-thread (2/4) i3, but recommended (4/4) i5, or (4/8) i7 CPU in most cases to drive the GPU, I/O and other compute, simultaneously. In fact, I usually disable multi-threading in a game system, so my (4/8) i7 is only (4/4), long story.

► Show Spoiler

With ED 1.x, I've used as low as an (4/4) i5-2500K (SandyBridge) and (~2.5Tflop, single precision) GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GiB GDDR5.
With ED 2.x, I've always had a (4/8) i7-4970K (Haswell) and a (~3.5Tflop, single precision) GeForce GTX 970 4GiB GDDR5, or better.
In fact, I upgraded to an (~5.6Tflop, single precision) GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GiB GDDR5 for VR.

I wouldn't recommend anything less than 4GiB GDDR5 in a GPU for ED 2.x, if not 6GiB GDDR5. At the same time, for VR and even 4K, it's not looking like more than 6GiB GDDR5 buys much, based on the 8GiB (GTX 1070) v. 6GiB (GTX 980 Ti) benchmarks though.

Xious wrote:The GPU is a Gforce 660 ti and the graphics are set to High with a few off the effects turned off. The game seems to run fine from what I can tell. I'm checking to see if the mobo can accept an i5.
Why not just replace the mainboard? You're already going to drop US$200 on the i5. An updated mainboard is going to be <US$100 more. Many times, some retail outlets have US$20-40 off the bundle.

In fact, sometimes trying to buy an older i5 is more expensive than a newer one.
Last edited by thebs on Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

smartroad
Master
Master
CMDR: Lase Mooray (PC) smartroad78 (XBOX)

Postby smartroad » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:31 pm

I run Horizons on a Surface Pro 2 at low settings and it is very playable :D Even on planets. OK not blazing FPS but enough to play with :)
Group Policy - The Order of Mobius General Orders

de Carabas
Master
Master
CMDR: de Carabas

Postby de Carabas » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:47 pm

It's got to be said thebs, you know your stuff on hardware. Glad you do, because once again most of what you've written means nothing to me :)
Rename your screen shots automatically! - Screen Shot Changer Visit MartianFire for more info.

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath

Postby Loriath » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:05 pm

I run a GTX 650 normal, with a 6-8 year old i5-750 and it does fine in game. Planets tax it a little, and I only get around 30 in an SRV, but its still quite playable. Oh and 16GB of ram help :P
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth

Postby Xebeth » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:44 pm

I play on a Quad core with 8GB ram, the only thing I did for Horizons was put in a GTX970 GPU, everything runs fine on mostly max settings and I get over 60fps on planets.
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Xious
Novice
Novice

Postby Xious » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:06 pm

Actually, my other computer is already fully upgraded with an i5, 16gb ram, and Gforce 970. The problem is my daughter has laid claim to it.

Would it be a simple matter of swapping HDs? ... aside from reloading drivers...

Relix Typhon
Master
Master
CMDR: Relix Typhon

Postby Relix Typhon » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:26 pm

Xebeth wrote:I play on a Quad core with 8GB ram, the only thing I did for Horizons was put in a GTX970 GPU, everything runs fine on mostly max settings and I get over 60fps on planets.

How does it cope in a busy RES? I've got a hex core and GTX 980 and I get slight stuttering. I run on ultra but turn down shadows, this seems to help but I haven't properly tested yet

Return to “Hardware and Technical”