GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Fan profiles and temps on gfx?

Postby GlobusDiablo » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:28 am

Hey all

I've been messing with this since I got a new pc with a Zotac reference GTX980ti card.

After installing MSI Afterburner, I've been monitoring fan profiles. The stock built in fan profile lets the card run straight to 84 C, and sets fans to 50%. I assume it simply throttles performance from there on, to keep it at that temperature.

Using the Steam VR test I can see that the card starts throttling at around 80 C, bringing down performance from an 11 score, to a 10.8.

Creating a custom fan profile in MSI Afterburner I can keep the card under 80 C by turning the max fan up to approx. 75% at 80 C. This secures the 11 score in the Steam VR performance test.

But my question is this. Is the card built to handle a constant 84 C temperature in the long run? I could live without the fan noise, and don't mind the throttling as I don't have a demanding screen setup or VR atm.

Thanks in advance. :)

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Fan profiles and temps on gfx?

Postby TorTorden » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:55 am

It should be OK at those temps but I would seriously consider options of increasing airflow or adding a case fan.

Depends also on the card's cooling solution, blower style cards (that i suspect this is) run hotter and LOUDER!
than the multi fan versions hence why I now stay away from these.
When I first got my 980ti I opened the window in the side panel and that helped airflow around it. But also adding a case fan in there took my temps from 75c+ to a 69c load temp.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:10 am

TorTorden wrote:It should be OK at those temps but I would seriously consider options of increasing airflow or adding a case fan.

Depends also on the card's cooling solution, blower style cards (that i suspect this is) run hotter and LOUDER!
than the multi fan versions hence why I now stay away from these.
When I first got my 980ti I opened the window in the side panel and that helped airflow around it. But also adding a case fan in there took my temps from 75c+ to a 69c load temp.

Cheers TT. Airflow is actually ok I think. I removed the unused pci slot covers and put in some wire mesh which actually made it possible to drop the custom fan speed 10 or 15% if I recall, while still holding the same gpu temp (around 75 C).

Yeah, single fan doing all the hard work, but I was just wondering if these gpu's are built to run with temps in the mid 80s constantly. It sounds scorching hot, but I've read elsewhere that it's considered pretty standard temps for gpus.

I had a Twin Frozr 780 gtx in my last pc, and that baby was quiet, and never ran above 65 C if I recall.

Though I enjoy the performance of this pc (got it for a steal), I sure would like to build a new one around the MSI GTX1080 X. :)

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:29 pm

My last gpu would idle at 75 and reach 90+ while gaming. Also blower (my last blower card)
Never noticed any issues and honestly if you aren't going vr or 4K the 980ti is plenty good.

I am quite fine with the 980ti even for vr, certainly not left wanting enough to spend $700 on a 1080.

My plan is to wait another generation gpu and biuld a machine around that.
Apart from my gpu the rest of the machine is from 2014 so a new build next fall/spring 2018 is not bad at all.
Expect to relegate my current rig then to an htpc.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:37 pm

TorTorden wrote:...My plan is to wait another generation gpu and biuld a machine around that...

Sounds like a good plan actually... :) Might just do the same.

Having a "high end" surround setup, I'm very pleased with having an htpc. It does set other requirements to the pc though. Fan noise and general aesthetics are very important on the WAF meter.

The Fractal Design Define S is an obvious choice for me, come next build. :)

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:58 pm

GlobusDiablo wrote:
TorTorden wrote:...My plan is to wait another generation gpu and biuld a machine around that...

Sounds like a good plan actually... :) Might just do the same.

Having a "high end" surround setup, I'm very pleased with having an htpc. It does set other requirements to the pc though. Fan noise and general aesthetics are very important on the WAF meter.

The Fractal Design Define S is an obvious choice for me, come next build. :)

I'm sporting a Dali mentor 7.2 setup myself
Off a Denon 4520 AVR and an Emotiva xpa5 Amp (200w @ 8ohm all channels driven), but I keep my electronics rack on the other side of the wall. Nothing quiets a pc, and amp hum more than simply having it in another room ;)
Same with aesthetics, out of sight out of mind hehe.

I have yet to be happy with PC as a main source device I much prefer my oppo 103d so the PC outside couch gaming (for the HT side of things) is more of a network server to the oppo.

Grayscale output from any gpu even the 980ti leaves a lot to be desired.
Oddly enough outputting full range to tv/projector then using software settings in video players works better than a straight 16-255 output from the gpu.

Both result in black and white crushing of details where the Oppo is just spot on.
But that is probably as expected from a $600 blueray player (worth every penny)...
But as I said. Outputting 0-255 from the card and using the settings in either kodi or mpc to software signal to 16-255 is oddly the better signal.

Not to mention the poor quality coming out of the bloody realtek audio chip's.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:28 pm

TorTorden wrote:...I'm sporting a Dali mentor 7.2 setup myself
Off a Denon 4520 AVR and an Emotiva xpa5 Amp (200w @ 8ohm all channels driven), but I keep my electronics rack on the other side of the wall. Nothing quiets a pc, and amp hum more than simply having it in another room ;)
Same with aesthetics, out of sight out of mind hehe...

Ooh, sounds very nice! I'm rocking a Denon 3808 AVR with a mixed 5.0 (System Audio center - JBL CF150 fronts - Mission 70 sides).Sony 46" TV. Don't have the "other side of the wall" option available to me... :( ;)

Agree on all points. No pc can compete with a dedicated Blu-ray/DVD/CD or other device of a certain caliber. But as a gaming machine/youtube player even work station when it hits me, it just blows all "competition" away. No consol comes close. :)

Waiting on my TrackHat Plus kit by the way. Should be here any day now.

Since I'll be skipping first gen VR, I might as well skip this gen gpu as well. :)

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:04 pm

I'm with you there.

And I honestly am kind of regretting getting my ps4 although my bd player cost considerably more ;)

I believe in using the best tool (at least available) for any given job so PC for gaming and whatnot
The bd player for everything else.

I kind of fell off the PC gamer wagon a few years back and on the home movie train, so my PC had been on the backburner until I found elite.

I was really considering system audio before I got these Mentor speakers.
But just as I was ready to start shopping and buy my new fronts these puppies come on sale with a $600 discount.
Since that pushed the speakers down from "too much money" to "ooh I can afford that" (its a thin line) I just went for it.

As for display I'm rocking a 50" plasma for daily TV viewing with a 90" front projection setup for movies and more serious game enjoyment ;)

Anyhoo I'm running off topic here..

So 75c is what I consider just fine. 85c is a little hot but should be fine.
Unless you start seeing artifacting during loads.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:12 pm

TorTorden wrote:...Anyhoo I'm running off topic here..

So 75c is what I consider just fine. 85c is a little hot but should be fine.
Unless you start seeing artifacting during loads.

Off topic is my middle name don't you know.

Yeah, I'm sticking with my custom fan setting which is 75% at 80 C. This keeps the gpu at around 75 C max.

But a drop from 75 to 50% is really noticable on the fans. Oh hell, I'm going in circles here. Which is also my middle name by the way... Can one have two middle names? Which is then the most middle?... SOMEBODY STOP ME!!!

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:00 pm

Globus......

Shut up.....

Twat......

:D

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

Return to “Hardware and Technical”