Got the GFX card and now the Vive is out of stock!

Community Support for the machines running the game
smartroad
Master
Master
CMDR: Lase Mooray (PC) smartroad78 (XBOX)
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Got the GFX card and now the Vive is out of stock!

Postby smartroad » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:46 pm

So I get the 1080 ready for VR, the 4 weeks I was waiting I for the card everywhere had the Vive in stock. As soon as the GFX card gets in stock and I order it, no one has the bleeding Vive in stock!! :x

I was so looking forward to getting it for the weekend! :(
Group Policy - The Order of Mobius General Orders

thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Got the GFX card and now the Vive is out of stock!

Postby thebs » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:54 pm

smartroad wrote:So I get the 1080 ready for VR, the 4 weeks I was waiting I for the card everywhere had the Vive in stock. As soon as the GFX card gets in stock and I order it, no one has the bleeding Vive in stock!! :x

Rift tomorrow. Glad I got in the queue.

I'll eventually get a Vive for the wife, but more like Christmas-time, likely with a GTX 1070 to go with it.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:15 pm

Those who wait for something good.

Spend a lot of time refreshing their browsers I guess.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

AJH
Competent
Competent
CMDR: AJH

Postby AJH » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:46 pm

Sorry to hear that. If you have any questions about it once you get it, let me know. I'll be happy to help. Did you check both online and in physical stores. Don't know if any stores around you have it, but there are a growing list of stores with physical inventory.

smartroad
Master
Master

Postby smartroad » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:39 pm

AJH wrote:Sorry to hear that. If you have any questions about it once you get it, let me know. I'll be happy to help. Did you check both online and in physical stores. Don't know if any stores around you have it, but there are a growing list of stores with physical inventory.

Yeah I've been hunting and hunting. I was going to really slum in and buy from a Dixons group store when I saw they had it online in stock (in the morning) but buy the time I could get onto a computer to actually order they were out of stock :(

thebs
Master
Master

Postby thebs » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:00 pm

smartroad wrote:So I get the 1080 ready for VR, the 4 weeks I was waiting I for the card everywhere had the Vive in stock. As soon as the GFX card gets in stock and I order it, no one has the bleeding Vive in stock!! :x

I cannot speak to the HTC Vive, but for the Oculus Rift, the GTX 980 Ti and GTX 1070 are sufficient in my book -- unless you're doing mining, especially ice mining in densely populated rings. Then you'll want a GTX 1080, but you'll still likely drop under 90fps.
- viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5478#p66149

I was extremely surprised how good my GTX 980 Ti was at planetary landings. It was shooting the mining laser in ice rings that finally got the FPS really down. So a GTX 1070, with the Rift, does very well. The GTX 980 Ti is also sufficient. The GTX 980, much more the GTX 970, will not.

YMMV with the Vive.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:14 pm

Ice mining has some buggered effect so that's, well just buggered whether it is on a normal display or HMD.

I have now played a little with both HMD's, and the rift for where ED is concerned is heads above.

I can pretty much achieve stable 80-90fps where the Vive never goes over 45 regardless of settings, sometimes it might dip. Had one today where I seemed to be getting 30, but after a restart it was back to mostly 90fps for the evening.
not to mention at no supersampling the rift looks to be almost twice the resolution than the vive for some reason.

Now I don't notice much about the god rays, there is however something I am noticing quite often, is it seem the panels in the rift are at a much lower bit rate than the vive, might very well be the vive is running 10 bit and the rift 8, that's a lot less rendering fidelity and would explain all the banding and dithering I am seeing in the rift (even out of ED).

It's certainly not perfect, and the vive is more comfortable to wear, I certainly got less hot in the vive.
Oddly enough.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

thebs
Master
Master

Postby thebs » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:33 am

TorTorden wrote:Ice mining has some buggered effect so that's, well just buggered whether it is on a normal display or HMD.
It was actually my first time trying it.

TorTorden wrote:I have now played a little with both HMD's, and the rift for where ED is concerned is heads above.
I can pretty much achieve stable 80-90fps where the Vive never goes over 45 regardless of settings, sometimes it might dip. Had one today where I seemed to be getting 30, but after a restart it was back to mostly 90fps for the evening.
not to mention at no supersampling the rift looks to be almost twice the resolution than the vive for some reason.
I heard as much. As much as I wanted a Vive for other titles, Elite is what I play nearly all of the time. I also briefly tried out DCS World, and it is awesome too, in the Rift.

TorTorden wrote:Now I don't notice much about the god rays, there is however something I am noticing quite often, is it seem the panels in the rift are at a much lower bit rate than the vive, might very well be the vive is running 10 bit and the rift 8, that's a lot less rendering fidelity and would explain all the banding and dithering I am seeing in the rift (even out of ED).
I rarely have seen the God rays, just here and there. I also see some weird lighting rays on the floor lights in the Asp, with the dithering you speak of.

TorTorden wrote:It's certainly not perfect, and the vive is more comfortable to wear, I certainly got less hot in the vive. Oddly enough.
Comfort is what I was afraid of in the Rift. But in all honesty, I actually got used to it quickly.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:42 am

No giant jaggies, and the fps alone makes the rift the easy choice for Elite.

I do get oculus face but I couldn't really care. It's just awesome to play elite in it.
But I have only had one full session in it.
Now if they could get vive to look and perform like the rift then we'll that would have just been absolutely perfect...

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

smartroad
Master
Master

Postby smartroad » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:58 am

I just can't bring myself to buy the Rift, I hate Facebook with a passion, I am only on it because some of my friends think it is the only communication method available these days :roll: (and I am getting even more annoyed as FB keeps wanting more details from me - I have the bare minimum and they want more 'to complete my profile' - or more accurately so they can make more money off of me and they are SOOOOO not getting my mobile number!)

I was really excited when the Rift first came out on Kickstarter - I didn't have the money at the time, but then Facebook brought them and, more recently, they have started with the DRM for Rift games despite them saying Rift games would work with any HMD.

That said I am worried about the visual issue of the Vive with ED but I do hope that it is something a software fix can deal with - given it seems that ED is the only game suffering with it?

Return to “Hardware and Technical”