thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

SOHO NAS Solutions -- WAS: VR or 4K?

Postby thebs » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:59 pm

Moved from 'VR or 4K?' thread - viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5419

PREFACE: This started as a Linux comment, but quickly exposed it was about Samba, so more about CIFS/SMB file services, not Linux at all (much less re-installing Linux would 'solve' Samba configuration). Hence why I turned this into a NAS discussion, and now have decided to move it here.

So, the Linux myth, which I'll mark off-topic, but for completeness, will include prior to discussing CIFS/SMB, Samba and, ultimately, various point'n click, web GUI SOHO devices that use Samba (and other file services).

Off Topic
TorTorden wrote:IAs for osvr I see no reason to need to be versed in *nix to get one.
They claim the install process is down to three clicks and supports most steamvr titles if you get some vr controller interface in addition.
I just mean the "tweaking required" might not be what people want. I was making a correlation to the type of person it's for.

And it's not *nix, but open source platforms. Huge difference.

Walter wrote:Writing as someone whose attempts to come to terms with Ubuntu are tantamount to torture (current score: Ubuntu 6, Walter 1), I can understand this - I would be on reinstall 6 (at least) before getting anywhere.
Er, um, what? Linux shouldn't need to be installed more than once. Re-installing more than once will only result in the same issues every time you do.

GNU/Linux is deterministic, unlike Windows. I.e., you need someone who knows your hardware and Ubuntu to assist.

Side Note: Installing Linux is not using Linux. Just like installing Windows is not using Windows. Installing Windows is not fun either. That's why virtually all OEMs provide a recovery mode on-disk. It's usually a clone, so they can get a verbatim copy of what was originally installed, which is more deterministic than the Windows installer (let alone post-installation requirements).

Walter wrote:On the other hand, the OSVR HDK2 has a modular design so that the end user can update different parts of the headset from different suppliers which, in theory, should give a decent ROI in the long term.
Which is how open platforms are supposed to work. Of course, you get to deal with all the reconfiguration all the way, so you have to deep dive into it.

Walter wrote:Not so much Ubuntu (although I managed to finally cripple my first successful configuration)
Changing things left and right will cause that.

► Show Spoiler

Now the next post is on-topic ... as we focus on CIFS/SMB file services.
Last edited by thebs on Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:24 pm, edited 10 times in total.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

thebs
Master
Master

Understanding CIFS/SMB file and print services (and Samba's purpose)

Postby thebs » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:04 pm

Walter wrote:more Samba - trying to get Ubuntu, Windows and Mac OS sharing the same files on a network is my main problem.
That's not Linux then. Not at all. That's SMB/CIFS Windows Services, which is an utter mess on Windows, let alone when you start throwing more OSes in to the mix.

► Show Spoiler

Walter wrote:I don't think I'm sacrificing the right sort of chicken.
If you don't understand the internals of how SMB/CIFS works, which is laid out in all the endless Samba documentation SMB/CIFS (emulate Windows "bug for bug, in every version"), then yeah, you'll get confused easily. But even most Windows Server administrators don't know those internals either ... unless they are Samba gurus.

► Show Spoiler

Probably the best way to "use" Samba is to get a NAS device with a nice web GUI and be done with it ... continued in next post. ;)
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

thebs
Master
Master

QNAP and Synology solutions and experiences (largely Synology)

Postby thebs » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:17 pm

QNAP and Synology are probably the two most highly regarded "just works" NAS solutions for SOHO (Small Office, Home Office) to SMB (Small to Medium Business) customers. Synology has some really inexpensive options in the entry-level "j" series of products, and even a few of the "Value" ones.

Most NAS devices come with a very generic Samba implementation atop of a BSD fork or custom Linux distribution that works well with everything from Windows XP to Windows 8, probably 10 now too, typically via SMB/CIFS and other, emulated Windows Servers very "pared down" (instead of the kitchen since like Samba can be configured to do), and then also MacOS X Solutions, whether via IETF/POSIX NFS, AppleTalk or also SMB/CIFS . My favorite NAS solution is Synology, which uses a custom Linux release and various service implementations, including Samba, in their Disk Station (DS) Manager (DSM).

It's up to you if you want to just use a PC, and load something like OpenFiler or a full blown distro like Ubuntu LTS, but I prefer to get a SOHO NAS unit and be done with it. I mean, don't get me wrong ... I still have a Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 Server installation at home on a full system with 6 drives in RAID-6. But I don't leave it on 24x7, and it's for my own developments. My 24x7 box is a Synology, and that's what my wife and I use for everything else we do.

Synology makes it so freak'n easy to even move the disks from the same series product to another, if your box fails. Done that a couple of times now over the years. That sold me because the DSM OS in firmware is backed up, with its configuration, to the disks. So it can be "restored" if you move your disks to another box of the same product series. E.g,. I've now done an old DS211j to DS214j and an sold DS212j to DS215j, one being my parent's, the other being a friend's.

Today, I personally wone a pair of tiny little Synology DS416slim micro-boxes (actually one is a DS414slim, the other a newer DS416slim), which has over 5TiB of usable storage via 4x2TB 2.5" drives. I can fit one in my backpack and take it anywhere, while the other one stays on 24x7 and doesn't pull even 30W.

A lot of these SOHO devices already have a lot of pre-built open source that you just click and install, and gives all sorts of DNLA and uPNP client support, various Apple, Android, Roku, Set-top and other support, via various protocols. E.g., rip all your music and movies, and it will index various music and movies from the Internet and you'll get a very iTunes and Netflix-like experience with the Android, iOS, Roku, etc... DS apps (phones, tablets and, again, things like Roku and other devices), as well as the Java-based web front-end (on PCs).

► Show Spoiler

Walter wrote:Finally solved the problem and restored a semblance of sanity by buying a large thumb drive. Peace is restored.
Or, again, just get a SOHO NAS with a GUI.

Walter wrote:Sorry - drifting off topic.
Well, File Services and sharing files is a popular topic. Has nothing to do with Linux though.

► Show Spoiler

Return to “Hardware and Technical”