New Nvidia gfx incoming! (VR) Here we go! :)

Community Support for the machines running the game
TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: New Nvidia gfx incoming! (VR) Here we go! :)

Postby TorTorden » Mon May 30, 2016 9:50 pm

thebs wrote:
AndyB wrote:$699? I wish, the pre order price in the UK is £619, at the current exchange rate that means we pay $905
Sorry, yeah, I'm usually pretty good about putting "US" in front of "$", but I'm still not quite fully programmed (like I am with the "+1" country code). All I can say is that I'm better than most Americans on the Internet. Heck, too many still don't even bother to put their own, US area code on phone numbers, and assume I know what area code they are in.

It has gotten to the point where I have gained a fairly OK understanding of imperial measurements even though they are utterly daft. For internet purposes only.

Although I draw the line at Fahrenheit. I'm never going to bother to learn the basics of that.
Use kelvin or Celsius.

Then again we aren't entirely innocent us europeans when it comes to general ignorance.
Heck quite a few think GTA5 is more documentary than satire.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs

[OT] UK Imperial != US Customary (not since the 1870s)

Postby thebs » Tue May 31, 2016 12:45 am

TorTorden wrote:It has gotten to the point where I have gained a fairly OK understanding of imperial measurements even though they are utterly daft. For internet purposes only.
FYI, UK Imperial != US Customary Measurement.

This is probably the biggest ignorance in the world, including among even Americans. Unlike the British, the US Customary has been standardized on Metric since the 19th Century.

Off Topic
In the 1860-70s, metric measurements were finally well standardized** was now precise down to at least 5 significant digits**. More well established precision to 9 significant digits wouldn't be available for the ISO Metric standards until newer techniques, largely based on understanding the atom and electromagnetic spectrum turn of the century and later. But even 5 significant digits is when the early foundations of the US NIST and others recognized the importance of ensuring all future US Customary measurements were based on the draft or implemented ISO Metric standards. It was later updated to 9 significant digits in the early 20th century to match the ISO Metric precision.

I.e., the US purposely broke with the UK then, which is why the US avoided all issues that the British ran into for the next hundred years, basically until the 1970s.

**Key Point: Don't get me started on the "meter" and its history of own "variations" prior to then ... along with typical British v. French "scientific warring" for control. In fact, this is why the British did not join the Americans in standardizing around the "ISO" Meter (yes, there was more than one "meter" in the 19th century). By the 1870s, the US believed the French were right, the British were wrong, and we staked our future on that, which is why even today you have great variation between US and UK that the average American and Briton doesn't understand.

E.g., 40mpg-Imp ~ 32mpg-US -- something I constantly have to point out to the British, your economy cars are not more fuel efficient. ;)

Historical note and case-in-point ... guess which nation was given one of the only handful, official, 19th Century Meter sticks of 5 significant digits? (pre-wavelength definition)

The UK finally adopted the Metric system for all new manufacturing almost exactly 100 years later, in the 1970s. The catalyst? The new SEPECAT Jaguar attack aircraft and (not produced) trainer, purposely to avoid the issues that occurred with the licensed produced L1A1 SLR. This was something the US did not have a problem with when it came to the M14, even though it was a 100% US-side design and not based on the FAL.

► Show Spoiler

TorTorden wrote:Although I draw the line at Fahrenheit. I'm never going to bother to learn the basics of that. Use kelvin or Celsius.
I prefer Celsius as it 0, 10, 20, 30 and 40 make far more sense to me. But the US media is its own inertia.

Off Topic
It's literally the US media. Ignore them. 75-80% of Americans turn off their TVs for a reason. Since the late '80s, when the US Congress broke down the barriers allowing huge corporate conglomerates of media to own different industries and cities (we used to prevent us), this has been the case ... massive, force-fed, simple media.

► Show Spoiler

So ... the US media now targets 20-25% of the US population that watches TV 8+ hours day. That's because they are focused on advertising dollars, and sensationalism sells ... much like the UK media's print publications (a different type, but same approach). They are no longer about local and focused.

► Show Spoiler

TorTorden wrote:Then again we aren't entirely innocent us europeans when it comes to general ignorance. Heck quite a few think GTA5 is more documentary than satire.
Americans understand Europeans far more than you realize. Don't let the US media's 8 year-old logic make you think otherwise.

I.e., if I wasn't an American, I'd hate Americans based on their media. But I am an American Engineer, and I know my history ... including two failed attempts to invade Canada (among other things).

Off Topic
► Show Spoiler
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby GlobusDiablo » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:31 pm

Found the card for me:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/ms ... iew,1.html

Now all I need to do is find the green... :)

Still undecided on the HMD, but leaning more and more towards the Vive (tried it at a shop a few weeks ago and was very impressed).

thebs
Master
Master

Guru3D non-VR, and RoadtoVR reviews ...

Postby thebs » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:23 pm

thebs wrote:
GlobusDiablo wrote:GTX1080 reviewed:
http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/nv ... iew,1.html
I like this article, because they look at some of the latest OpenGL titles, like the id Tech 6 engine in Doom, not just DirectX, which is closer to the Horizon's (Elite 2.x's) OpenGL v3 engine.
... cut ... The 1080 Takeaways
    The gap between the GTX 970 and 980 continues to be less than the "jump" to 980 Ti, then again another "jump" to 1080
... cut ... Now ... Back to the Subject
Rift and Vive VR is not just ...
    Framebuffer being around 2.5-3K, the 980 Ti handles that fine, but ...
    Two points-of-origin -- to render for -- and not just a single point of higher resolution
... cut ... The 1070 Wildcard
The GTX 1070 is really the "wildcard" here, and probably the ultimate value, if one can wait, especially for the standard, non-Founders edition.
    Should easily match a stock (if not overclocked) GTX 980 Ti
    Should consume 100W less than GTX 980 Ti, making even a heavily discounted 980 Ti a non-consideration

GlobusDiablo wrote:Found the card for me:
Still undecided on the HMD, but leaning more and more towards the Vive (tried it at a shop a few weeks ago and was very impressed).
As I mentioned, the Doom OpenGL benchmarks are the most relevant (see my preceding).

The funny thing is that the 1070 seems to lose a little potency at higher resolutions, edging out the 980 Ti at 2K (1080p), but the being edged out by 4K (2160p). But still, if and when the 1070 starts selling for under $400, and it should by the fall, it's really the card to get, especially if the 1080 remains >>$600, like many suspect it will for some time.

At least for non-VR. So ... back to VR.

Here's a 1080 v. 980 Ti series of benchmarks. Nothing great, no Elite, but check it out ...
- http://www.roadtovr.com/nvidia-gtx-1080 ... benchmarks

The higher clocks and added, improved memory in the 1080 seems to give it more consistency than the 980 Ti. At the same time, it seems the overall framerate in the 980 Ti does benefit from its added units, over the 1080. It's closer than it should be, compared to the non-VR benchmarks where it's almost always 30%+ faster. Now this could be because of the VR titles involved, and a more intense, OpenGL v3 title like E:D Horizons could give the 1080 an even greater showing.

So now ... I want to see the 1070 benchmarks v. the 980 Ti. ;)
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

Avago-Earo
Master
Master
CMDR: AVAGO EARO

Postby Avago-Earo » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:41 pm

Nice card.
"Wibble"

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:30 am

Avago-Earo wrote:Nice card.

Aye Commander. But the prices are a bit steap to put it mildly. I won't be upgrading until I decide on an HMD (pricey too), so time will tell. Probably Christmas time. :)

CMDR Reaper
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Reaper

Postby CMDR Reaper » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:35 am

Avago-Earo wrote:

Nice card.

Yeah. Just ordered that one. Can't wait :D :D

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:57 am

CMDR Reaper wrote:Yeah. Just ordered that one. Can't wait :D :D

Lucky bugger. :) Do keep me posted on your findings. Especially if they're VR related. :)

thebs
Master
Master

'HTC is promising that any new Vive order will ship within 72 hours'

Postby thebs » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:31 pm

'HTC is promising that any new Vive order will ship within 72 hours'
- http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/7/118772 ... you-buy-it

'HTC says is now selling the Vive online and will ship the gadget internationally within two to three days of purchase.'
- http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/nows-your-c ... il-stores/

Tall (pun)order(pun) ;)

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:34 pm

Sure it's a tall order.
But unlike Oculus, HTC has been moving millions of smartphones in the tech industry (until Samsung seized the market).

So unless everyone in the company with this kind of manufacturing and distribution got replaced by inexperienced 18 year olds I think HTC is more up to the task than Oculus and Facebook.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Return to “Hardware and Technical”