New Nvidia gfx incoming! (VR) Here we go! :)

Community Support for the machines running the game
thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

GTX 1080 reviews, analysis ... (plus 1070 specualations)

Postby thebs » Tue May 17, 2016 3:06 pm

GlobusDiablo wrote:GTX1080 reviewed:
http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/nv ... iew,1.html
I like this article, because they look at some of the latest OpenGL titles, like the id Tech 6 engine in Doom, not just DirectX, which is closer to the Horizon's (Elite 2.x's) OpenGL v3 engine.
And for those that don't have a lot of time, the single page two (2) here at Anand has a lot of benchmarks and info on its own.
Some other reviews, for completeness ...

The 1080 Takeaways

So, what we're seeing is a common theme here. Against the GTX 1080 8GiB GDDR5'X' ...
    GTX 980 Ti 6GiB is around 25% slower (GTX 1080 33% faster), at nearly all resolutions
    GTX 980 4GiB is always 33% slower (GTX 1080 50% faster), often 40% slower (1080 66% faster), and at 4K it can be nearly half speed (1080 80% faster)
Which means ...
    With most of today's titles, the traditional 6GiB GDDR5 in the GTX 980 Ti scales well up to 4K
    The same is not true for the 4GiB in the GTX 980 (and 970), does not starting at 2.5K, and definitely not at 4K
    The gap between the GTX 970 and 980 continues to be less than the "jump" to 980 Ti, then again another "jump" to 1080
So, this really brings us to these realities, putting VR aside (more in a moment) ...
    The GTX 1080 is an outstanding upgrade from the GTX 980, and the 980 should be dropped from any consideration at all, period
    The GTX 1080 has the price-performance to match (overclocked) or best (stock) a discounted GTX 980 Ti, while knocking off 50W power
    If one already has a GTX 980 Ti, then one might want to wait on a newer model

Now ... Back to the Subject

Rift and Vive VR is not just ...
    Framebuffer being around 2.5-3K, the 980 Ti handles that fine, but ...
    Two points-of-origin -- to render for -- and not just a single point of higher resolution
► Show Spoiler

The 1070 Wildcard

The GTX 1070 is really the "wildcard" here, and probably the ultimate value, if one can wait, especially for the standard, non-Founders edition.
    8GiB GDDR5 (non-'X'), plenty of framebuffer to do 4K, and more
    Should easily match a stock (if not overclocked) GTX 980 Ti
    Should consume 100W less than GTX 980 Ti, making even a heavily discounted 980 Ti a non-consideration
► Show Spoiler
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

thebs
Master
Master

nVidia 1080 Founder's ($699) sells out in 9 min, pre-orders of OEM models (all $699+, $100+ markup) as soon as available

Postby thebs » Fri May 27, 2016 6:27 pm

The Founder's Edition ($699), available from nVidia, sold out in 9 minutes. Most OEM models available for pre-order (ship weeks later), which are supposed to be $599 list (after the initial Founder's Edition availability), have been marked-up to the same, or more, $699+ during their pre-orders (using the moniker), at Amazon, NewEgg and others. We have truly reached the point of early access markup like high demand cars -- at the retail market, not just eBay any more.

Side Note: Seems there was a small dip to just over $686 at Amazon at one point.

This is now far worse than what happened with the 600 series when it first appeared, the last time there was a feature size, and corresponding power, shrink. We'll see when reality comes back, but I think this is how it's just going to be going forward. OEM models well beyond list, with alleged "special sauce." Glad I didn't wait, and got a $500 980 Ti, otherwise I might be waiting a long time. ;)

CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

AndyB
Master
Master
CMDR: Andy Bulman

Re: New Nvidia gfx incoming! (VR) Here we go! :)

Postby AndyB » Sat May 28, 2016 4:20 am

$699? I wish, the pre order price in the UK is £619, at the current exchange rate that means we pay $905
Combat: Elite Trade: Elite Exploration: Elite

Mobius PvE Group Facebook Admin,
Mobius PvE Group Forum Moderator,
Mobius PvE Lead Admin,
Mobius PvE America Lead Admin,
Mobius Factions Assistant Admin,
Mobius PvE Eurasia Assistant Admin,

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Sat May 28, 2016 10:19 am

Yea saw that yesterday in an email from ebuyer......

I'm gonna wait a bit me thinks.....

I'm due a new build this year........But it'll be towards the end....

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo

Postby GlobusDiablo » Sat May 28, 2016 11:21 am

Cmdr Kharma wrote:...But it'll be towards the end....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdnaPAJgAQI

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Sat May 28, 2016 12:34 pm

She cooks a shit breakfast.......

;)

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Sat May 28, 2016 12:40 pm

Cmdr Kharma wrote:She cooks a shit breakfast.......

;)

I wouldn't know. I never stayed for breakfast... :shock:

What a lass.

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Sat May 28, 2016 12:53 pm

Yep....

Many a Kleenex moment......

:P <------ That's the face.....

:D

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Sat May 28, 2016 12:56 pm

Cmdr Kharma wrote:Yep....

Many a Kleenex moment......

:P <------ That's the face.....

thebs
Master
Master

Postby thebs » Sun May 29, 2016 10:08 pm

AndyB wrote:$699? I wish, the pre order price in the UK is £619, at the current exchange rate that means we pay $905
Sorry, yeah, I'm usually pretty good about putting "US" in front of "$", but I'm still not quite fully programmed (like I am with the "+1" country code). All I can say is that I'm better than most Americans on the Internet. Heck, too many still don't even bother to put their own, US area code on phone numbers, and assume I know what area code they are in.

Return to “Hardware and Technical”