New Nvidia gfx incoming! (VR) Here we go! :)

Community Support for the machines running the game
CMDR Abil Midena
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Abil Midena
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: New Nvidia gfx incoming! (VR) Here we go! :)

Postby CMDR Abil Midena » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:21 pm

I'm still waiting to be able to actually order one. Not preorder. Nice paper launch nvidia.
My Youtube Channel
Elite - Elite - Elite

thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs

Postby thebs » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:03 pm

TorTorden wrote:Sure it's a tall order.
But unlike Oculus, HTC has been moving millions of smartphones in the tech industry (until Samsung seized the market).
Indeed. HTC has always communicated its issues better too.

TorTorden wrote:So unless everyone in the company with this kind of manufacturing and distribution got replaced by inexperienced 18 year olds I think HTC is more up to the task than Oculus and Facebook.
Well, that's common to Google as well.

► Show Spoiler
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby GlobusDiablo » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:33 pm

And the little brother punches above its weight too. :)

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/ms ... iew,1.html

thebs
Master
Master

Postby thebs » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:06 pm

GlobusDiablo wrote:And the little brother punches above its weight too. :)
Stock GTX 1070 v. GTX 980 Ti is within 5% of each other, as most predicted.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:30 pm

thebs wrote:
GlobusDiablo wrote:And the little brother punches above its weight too. :)
Stock GTX 1070 v. GTX 980 Ti is within 5% of each other, as most predicted.

Indeed. And only 100 GBP difference for the MSI Twin Frozr editions on Scan:

https://www.scan.co.uk/search.aspx?q=gtx+1070+msi

These new cards are more expensive than the previous generation, negating advantages a bit.

Still in love with the 1080 Twin Frozr mind. Silly me. :)

thebs
Master
Master

Postby thebs » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:43 pm

GlobusDiablo wrote:These new cards are more expensive than the previous generation, negating advantages a bit.
The 1070 is artificially marked up US$70 right now. Outside the US I think it's also €70 and £50, respectively, but don't quote me.

The OEMs are going to keep prices artificially inflated at the "Founder's Edition" prices of US$699 and US$449, which are US$100 and US$70 over the list price of US$599 and US$379, for the GTX 1080 and GTX 1070, respectively.

That said, if one can get a GTX 1070 for the same price as a GTX 980 Ti, it's a no-brainer. Get the GTX 1070 for the sheer, reduced heat and thermals.

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:46 pm

thebs wrote:...That said, if one can get a GTX 1070 for the same price as a GTX 980 Ti, it's a no-brainer. Get the GTX 1070 for the sheer, reduced heat and thermals.

Indeed. And the VRAM. Edit: and as I said, it's 100 bob cheaper. :)

thebs
Master
Master

Postby thebs » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:00 pm

GlobusDiablo wrote:
thebs wrote:...That said, if one can get a GTX 1070 for the same price as a GTX 980 Ti, it's a no-brainer. Get the GTX 1070 for the sheer, reduced heat and thermals.
Indeed. And the VRAM.
That's more debatable.

I.e., Size-wise, no one is showing much of an improvement from 6GiB to 8GiB of GDDR5. In fact, some benchmarks show them getting closer at higher resolutions, like 4K.

Furthermore, the GTX 980 Ti still has a wider datapath than even the GTX 1080 (although at least the 1080 has GDDR5X, the 1070 does not). After all, increasing the synchronous clock (usually "effective" clock, as clocks rarely change, but more bits are added per cycle) of DRAM might make the burst throughput look better in the spec sheets, but it's still DRAM and a slouch in latency. So width can factor in more.

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:09 pm

thebs wrote:
GlobusDiablo wrote:
Indeed. And the VRAM.
That's more debatable.

I.e., Size-wise, no one is showing much of an improvement from 6GiB to 8GiB of GDDR5. In fact, some benchmarks show them getting closer at higher resolutions, like 4K.

Furthermore, the GTX 980 Ti still has a wider datapath than even the GTX 1080 (although at least the 1080 has GDDR5X, the 1070 does not). After all, increasing the synchronous clock (usually "effective" clock, as clocks rarely change, but more bits are added per cycle) of DRAM might make the burst throughput look better in the spec sheets, but it's still DRAM and a slouch in latency. So width can factor in more.

I'll take your word for it. ;)

thebs
Master
Master

Postby thebs » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:27 pm

GlobusDiablo wrote:
thebs wrote:
GlobusDiablo wrote:Indeed. And the VRAM.
That's more debatable.

I'll take your word for it. ;)
We'll see if some games make use of the additional 2GiB of GDDR5 in the GTX 1070 over the GTX 980 Ti. So far, we're not seeing it at 4K, and the performance limitations of 4K seem to be a linear one too. I.e., it seems to be a vector-computational limitation, rather than a framebuffer + textual one.

The great thing about the GeForce 10 over the GeForce 9 is that they have reduced the transistor count, pinouts and traces and other things that reduced fabrication costs and related complexity, which always affects yields too. The way they did it was by feature shrinkage (TSMC 28nm to 16nm FET) and kicking up the clock. That only goes so far, which means any future GTX 1080 Ti will be interesting to watch, and a hint where the GeForce 11/12 might be headed.

In any case, we're starting to hit the physical limits in feature sizes. I.e., oversimplifying things (I won't even get into the energy and field aspects), but feature sizes are only a few dozen atoms wide now. It's amazing we can still have tens of billions of junctions between the layers without a single defect at high yields.

Return to “Hardware and Technical”