Community Support for the machines running the game
thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Windows update roadblock [Solved - Yay!]

Postby thebs » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:46 pm

JustSomeGuy wrote:I did not know that they actually keep the images up to date with updates, and not just serve day 1 .iso file.
Not any more. That stopped with NT 6+ (Vista and later). Only 1 Update. If they stopped that, most OEMs would revolt, as would their Enterprise customers. Heck, they still get that request, repeatedly, from Enterprise customers to release >>1 Update over 5+ years. Most of us MCPs agree, it's stupid not to.

All NT 5.x (2000, XP, 2003) versions had 3+ Updates. That made it easier to clean install XP on even a circa 2010 PC. Microsoft understood that and purposely stopped doing it for that reason. Even worse, they changed the "slipstreaming" of updates with NT6.0/6.1 (Vista, 7, 2008), and changed it yet again with NT 6.2+ (8+/2012), which is a real PITA when the tools and procedures change.

I.e., for those of us who know how to pre-update the install directory, it's gotten progressively more difficult with each version. This is purposeful, sadly enough, to force enterprises to be on the latest version.

I mean, the whole reason for Updates is to "roll up" all fixes into a well integration tested update. With NT/Windows, it's 10x more beneficial because Microsoft has all sorts of "inter-dependency issues." That's beyond just the installation issues.

E.g., SQL Slammer hit in early 2003 just one (1) week after a full Update. The full, rolled-up Windows Server 2000 update fixed an issue that was known from last fall, where two (2) newer Windows Updates broke a MS SQL fix that would have prevented SQL Slammer. Microsoft let it break the fix, purposely (they admitted it in the Notes of the 2 patches), because Microsoft hadn't figured out how to make them co-exist, and figured a general Windows patch for all systems was better than the one that fixed MS SQL, which had less systems.

I.e., I was at a Fortune 20 company on the call where Microsoft blamed its own MCPs for "failing to install updates." A week later, a Network World article had the guts to call Microsoft out on that, and disclosed the two (2) updates for Windows that uninstalled the fix, and said if you didn't immediately install the latest, full Update in just the handful of days earlier that week since release (again, less than a week, which was a major downtime schedule), you were at the mercy of Microsoft's own screw-up that they had let sit.

In other words, by "staying current" with patches, you were vulnerable. And it's hypocritical for Microsoft to stop releasing Updates, for this very reason -- it was the only thing that actually fixed the "integration issue" between 3 patches.

Microsoft had the article yanked from the on-line version, but I had the print edition. Saved my colleagues' butts with management.

► Show Spoiler
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Windows update roadblock

Postby thebs » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:16 pm

AndyB wrote:what if i told you that after installing from a mounted image the only update listed is for windows 10? i guess that's the advantage of downloading the iso directly from microsoft, its the latest version and has all the updates :)
Well, yeah!

I mean, Windows 10 is the latest version, and will be the last version of Windows. So I'm sure they are going to keep "rolling updates," at least until the Next-Gen OS comes out. Their strategy is still in-flux on the latter.

Microsoft is chucking the GDI, core MS IE libraries and other things, which are 100% required subsystems for 100% of Windows software built since 1994 and 1997, respectively. The base "recovery" modes, including CHKDSK, are extremely limited in functionality, and none-too-different (even age-wise) to their pre-GDI codebase in OS/2 (which Microsoft has legal IP and copyright access too, even post-1995, long story).

E.g., their first attempt is Windows 10 Server "Nano," which finally removs the Graphic Display Interface (GDI) that all Windows apps are rooted on, even "Core" versions of Windows Server that still must have a GDI just to display a console.

I.e., Windows 10 Server "Nano" breaks 100% of all existing Windows apps, even most server apps, and have to be built differently, which is leading into the Next Gen platform, post-Windows.

Windows, and all applications, are also "unclean" for things other than 32-bit, byte-aligned x86. If you run into the components of MS Office 64-bit that haven't been ported over, now you understand why. It's also why MS Office OpenXML (4 different "transitional" versions) != the ISO Office OpenXML 2008 standard, which has already raised the ire of the UK (among other) governments, especially with the 2007 and 2010 incompatibilities in their "transitional" XML versions.

Microsoft has officially dropped ARM and other platforms as well from Windows, and it's not a surprise why the XBox One is a PC too (8 core, 2 GPU, AMD Jaguar). It finally "dawned" on them once they had to put an x86 byte code emulator/translator (slowly translates code into native object code over several runs) in their non-x86[-64] run-times for .NET. It was just unsustainable ... and slow.

That's why they are getting away from Windows for the future.

Not right away. In fact, Microsoft is becoming a non-exclusive apple. They are moving to become Intel's #1 PC vendor themselves, which is actually a good thing. A lot of issues are going to be removed from typical PC OEMs, who are often just getting the same, reference system from the Big 3 Chinese/Tawainese ODMs (ECS, FIC, Foxconn) anyway.

But Windows 10 is the last version ... ever. We'll see if that changes if Microsoft has success as a PC vendor, but for now, that's the strategy.

► Show Spoiler
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

Return to “Hardware and Technical”