Community Support for the machines running the game
thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Saitek X56

Postby thebs » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:15 pm

Schmobius wrote:That makes more sense now. I tried from within the saitek software and elite to map it, and failed. Thanks for the link, I'll take a look.

Having never used the Saitek software, I don't know whether or not it enables the added, analog axes. I assume it does, although it might be in another menu in the software, not just the mapping.

I.e., Windows has to be told to "enable" those added analog axes, beyond what the base driver does, likely before any mapping functions will work.

I used the .reg file (registry hack) included in the ZIP archive from Aussiedroid, should enable the added axes. You will likely need to reboot and/or at least unplug/re-plug your X-55 controllers for it to work after doing so.

Again, I did not use any other files from the Aussiedroid package, and by-passed the added Saitek software completely. I mapped my settings inside of Elite itself, including after the added axes were enabled via the registry hack.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Flip Martin

Postby Flip » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:13 pm

I received a X56 today, as a replacement for the second X55 that broke under warranty. First thing i noticed is they replaced my secondary trigger with a mini stick so I’ll have to rethink my mapping. Grrr.
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty! ―Douglas Adams

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:37 pm

*Gets violin out*

:D

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

thebs
Master
Master

Postby thebs » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:21 pm

Flip wrote:I received a X56 today, as a replacement for the second X55 that broke under warranty. First thing i noticed is they replaced my secondary trigger with a mini stick so I’ll have to rethink my mapping. Grrr.

Yeah, looks like I will be getting a X-56 as a replacement for my X-55 as well. Guess I have a HOTAS for Wifey now. ;)
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby Flip » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:12 pm

lol

thebs
Master
Master

First, hands-on with the X-56, on the same system that had a X-55

Postby thebs » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:05 pm

thebs wrote:
Xebeth wrote:
thebs wrote:Popped for a X56 with my AmEx points and will get Tuesday.
Congrats, looking forward to hearing how you get on with it.
Will definitely report the X-55 v. X-56 experience by Wednesday.

So, really quick here at lunch ...

What I did ...
- I used the same system as the X-55 was on, using its USB 2.0 ports
- The X-56 required updated drivers, which were a quick download, install, plug-in device
- I don't know if the new drivers enabled the added axes, or my prior registry hack still worked for it

What worked out-of-the-box ...
- Elite custom binding file (under user profile's Apps/Local): Simple X55 to X56 string change worked
- The X-56 Joystick is unchanged from X-55, the new Joystick Thumb Stick is still button #2 when pressed (my secondary fire)
- I wouldn't want to use Joystick button #2 as a fire button, if I mapped the Joystick Thumb Stick as some axes
- The X-56 Throttle is another story ...

Throttle differences between X-56 and X-55 ...
- Button #4 (my boost) and #5 (my chaff) were swapped (and that couldn't be because of the registry hack), they literally swapped the assignments
- Other than the Throttle itself, all the other axes mappings were also now different, my Throttle Thumb Stick was mapped to dials, and vice-versa, required me to remap (could be due to my prior registry hack?)
- I had to spend a lot of time remapping those things

Now ... the negatives ...
- Joystick RZ (twist) in the X-56 was off, even worse than the X-55, center being 56% (compared to 52% prior) requiring me to set a big deadzone, even after Windows calibration
- Throttle is as someone else said, seems to "harden up" as its sits, then "glide" when moved ... no idea what they are doing

That said ... I really like the new Throttle Thumb Stick on the X-56, although I'm having to "re-learn" where up-down is at. On the prior Throttle Thumb Nipple, it was aligned almost off-axis. I had to "learn" it as well. The new one is more straight up-down, which means it's "rotated" a bit from the prior. But it's very, very precise.

The most annoying thing is how the Throttle itself seemingly "hardens" without movement. I find myself jamming that thing back and forth every time I high wake, just to keep it smoother. No idea what they put in there, because once you do it a few times, it does glide much better for the next 2-3 minutes, before hardening again without any movement for 4-5+.

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth

Re: First, hands-on with the X-56, on the same system that had a X-55

Postby Xebeth » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:51 pm

thebs wrote:
thebs wrote:
Xebeth wrote: Congrats, looking forward to hearing how you get on with it.
Will definitely report the X-55 v. X-56 experience by Wednesday.

<snip>

The most annoying thing is how the Throttle itself seemingly "hardens" without movement. I find myself jamming that thing back and forth every time I high wake, just to keep it smoother. No idea what they put in there, because once you do it a few times, it does glide much better for the next 2-3 minutes, before hardening again without any movement for 4-5+.

I had exactly the same thing on my X-55 when I first got it, I almost couldn't move it out of the box, and it would freeze up again after a few minutes of no use, I found leaving it centralised when not in game helped and I made sure I moved it back and forth every time I was near it when not in game, after a couple of weeks the issue went away, and has never returned even after day of being unused. Apparently it's the grease they use.
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

thebs
Master
Master

Postby thebs » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:11 pm

Xebeth wrote:
thebs wrote:
thebs wrote: Will definitely report the X-55 v. X-56 experience by Wednesday.

<snip>

I had exactly the same thing on my X-55 when I first got it, I almost couldn't move it out of the box, and it would freeze up again after a few minutes of no use, I found leaving it centralised when not in game helped and I made sure I moved it back and forth every time I was near it when not in game, after a couple of weeks the issue went away, and has never returned even after day of being unused. Apparently it's the grease they use.

I remember the X-55 needing time to "loosen up," but I don't ever remember my X-55 being as bad as this X-56. It's really tough at times, although I agree on leaving it "in the middle."

Might be the reason for me to change it to forward+reverse. Right now I just use it for forward-only, and the "Pinky Slider" (really 2 buttons, depending on direction) is what I use for forward-reverse (max-max) to "touch up" (such as in stations).

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby Flip » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:31 pm

Another problem with mine (which i set up this evening) is the stick sticking: when I want to roll left or right, there’s always a step i have to force through before the stick moves, like the cup at the bottom of it stuck on the base. I tried the weakest spring and that helped a bit, but not completely.

The throttle is quite hard to move here too. And yeah, it’s the grease they use (not sure it should be called grease when it’s meant to increase friction, btw). I removed some on my X-55’s and that helped. Guess I’ll have to do it on the 56 too.

I’m pretty sure the X-56 will suffer the same exact flaws the X-55 had, as the changes are pretty much cosmetic only. And I’m pretty sure it’s gonna be the last Saitek product I use.

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:38 pm

Xebeth wrote:and I made sure I moved it back and forth every time I was near it .

Figures......

:)

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

Return to “Hardware and Technical”