Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Project Controller 1

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:22 am

Because the Warthog does not have enough buttons..... :D

Not really......I just love building this kinda shit....

I have always used Rocatts powergrid to run macros, problem is I have to keep switching screens, I then moved to a Thrustmaster MFD, with this the buttons are close together and small so I always have to look at it to make sure which button to hit.......I thought I wonder if I can build a controller that sits around the Warthog joystick.....

So I slung a few ideas down on paper and this morning decided to make a mock up out of an old box.....

Cut a few holes for it to sit over the joystick base and worked out the slope of the front.....Whether this is correct or not time will tell....

► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

Owing to picture limit per post I will continue in another...
Last edited by Cmdr Kharma on Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:49 am, edited 3 times in total.

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous

Re: Project Controller 2

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:29 am

I had the idea of 2 sloping panels up the sides of the joystick so I could easily hit the buttons.......This in practise did not work out as I kept hitting the right hand one with my knuckles and to make it small enough for that not to happen would render it virtually useless....

So I decided on just one......

► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

Continued....
Last edited by Cmdr Kharma on Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous

Re: Project Controller 3

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:44 am

I then marked out, cut and put the side on......

► Show Spoiler

And then put the joystick back in place......

► Show Spoiler

I was going to put the switches that would have been on the right hand "wing" on the flat surface that was there......But after looking at the model....I could see they would fit on the flat part above the slope.......

► Show Spoiler

They would be used for SRV commands like board ship...Dismiss etc as I do not use the joystick for steering so I have my hand free.....

The ones on the slope would be for quick power management macros and stuff you need in a hurry as I can hit them with my thumb.....

And that's it for now........

Still got to work out what to put on the lower main panel....I have a few ideas...Wingmen etc....But no doubt they will also change as this has once you start to model it....

Thinking now I should have uploaded all this to my website and just linked to it.....

Hmmmmmmmm.........

*Edit* Quick and dirty...... http://www.allaboutorc.net/new-controller-project.html

Now just got to try it in game to make sure it does not hinder play.....

Toodily pip for now.....

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth

Re: Project Controller 1

Postby Xebeth » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:49 pm

Intriguing, interested to see how this pans out.

How will you get the game to recognise the buttons, will you be using some sort of USB interface?
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:05 pm

Yea.......Using one I bought for a DCS A-10C cockpit controller build........

From Leo Bodner.....

http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php ... cts_id=205

It's been stuck in boxes along with a load of other stuff I was planning on using for A-10C.....

So I thought I might as well use it for something....

Now just need to find a use for the Arduino and Pokeys...... :D

Digga
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Digga
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby Digga » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:01 pm

Thanks for sharing your project, hope you keep us updated :)

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous

Re: Project Controller 4

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:33 am

After playing a session last night with the mock up in place I can say it did not hinder gameplay at all.......I did not even know it was there.....So that's a good start....

I had an hour last night and was up early this morning so decided to work on the button layout.....

► Show Spoiler

As mentioned previously I have some stuff left over from old projects so I will be using what I have....The buttons will be tactile switches mounted on stripboard...This I will have to buy....Also the round navigation module in the centre will have to be purchased.....

The buttons being through the hole type means the frontplate will have to be aluminium because of the height they sit off of the stripboard.....The controller itself will be 3mm MDF and this is too thick for the buttons to protrude through unless I cut a 12mm square opening and have the whole switch protrude through which will look shit....I could use a router to rebate around the boards, but fixing to 1.5mm of MDF does not sound a good idea to me....

Only thing I'm not too keen on is the stripboard will have to be machine screwed through the front panel and the heads will be on show, but I can live with that......

Another thing is I plan to use Toggles for the scoop and lights.....Not sure if Xpadder can handle these as I need an "On release" setting.....Otherwise I would have to flip the switch up and down to get it to work which defeats the idea.....

I know SV Mapper has an on release setting and I'm wondering if SV mapper and Xpadder can run and work at the same time....

This is what I'm going to test next because if I cannot get the toggles to work I will have to change to buttons and that will change the panel layout......

Till next time......

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous

Re: Project Controller 5

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:57 pm

Well there goes the morning.... :roll:

I hooked up the switch to the interface......

► Show Spoiler

Tried it with Xpadder.......Switch works but sends a repeated key press.....Set it to toggle and the same....So no good.....

Tried SV mapper and it would not recognise the interface......Quickish google and it looks like it only supports 4, which I already have....

Disconnect MFD and try again......Still no good......More google......

Looks like there is a problem recognising the interface if you have a warthog connected......Hmmmmm.....I swear I've had them both connected in SV mapper in the past......But no matter what I try nope.....Will not work.......

Now do I stay with toggles or switch to buttons......Toggles would look better......More google.......

I find out I could spend £6 on the latest Xpadder which supports an "On Release"...But seeing as I squeak when I walk the search is on for a free alternative......

Stumble across something called HIDmacros for flightsims......Worth a look seeing as it's free......So I download it.....

Opened it up and had a play....Not knowing what was what....BUT it did recognise the interface plus the switch in an up and down state....Nice.......Bit of reading later and configured the switch as a sorta macro but not......In the down state send keystroke "C" in the up state send keystroke "C".......Tested in notepad and whaddya know.....Works with just a single keypress sent in each position.....

Plug the MFD back in....Fire up Xpadder....Check in Notepad.....Yep both work together......

Fire up game.......Test in game.....Works fine.....

So now I know I can keep the toggles it's back to the layout and maybe pop out and get the MDF as there's 15% off today.......

Told ya I squeak...... :D

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous

Re: Project Controller 6

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:41 am

A few things arrived this week and an unforeseen spend......

The navigation button module arrived.....

► Show Spoiler

I should have read the description in full as this has a 10 way connector on the back.....

► Show Spoiler

So I had to source the pins and the connector blocks......The pins are minute.....

► Show Spoiler

The button above it is 12mm.....

To Be continued...

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous

Re: Project Controller 7

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:02 am

This is where the spend came in....

No matter what I did to try and crimp the pins it just did not work.....Needle nose pliers sorta worked but the connection looked like shite and the pin had to be forced into the connector....Not good.....

Went for a search and found out the tool to crimp these pins runs at £284 :shock:

Bollocks to that.....More searching and found a Japanese tool that says it does the job for £30....Still more than I wanted to spend,That's like £3 a crimp.....But I was somewhat snookered....So I ordered one....

It arrived and it does not look much for £30.....

► Show Spoiler

BUT it is well made and crimps like a champion....Good connection to the wire and a good clamp on the insulation.....The pins went into the connector with ease after a little tweak on width.....

► Show Spoiler

Sorted.....

Now today I intend to start the build on the base...

Just in case anybody is wondering why I am using 3mm MDF........It is because it can be cut with a Stanley knife......I have to work in the house as at the moment I have no workshop and the weather is not reliable enough to set up outside........

Onwards and upwards......

Return to “Hardware and Technical”