Community Support for the machines running the game
Darwin
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Darwin
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

HTC Vive available for preorder

Postby Darwin » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:16 pm

The preorder page went live today at 3pm GMT.
Seems the website had the usual wobble in the first half hour or so.
"Due to a high volume of orders, we experienced an anomaly causing a 'sold out' error. Pre-orders are still available.

EU store still claims a shipping date starting April 2016
US store starting May 2016

Then the prices...
UK store £746.60
US Store $829.00

https://www.htcvive.com/preorder/en-us/
“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time”
CMDR Darwin, Inara profile

Darr Valen
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Darr Valen
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: HTC Vive available for preorder

Postby Darr Valen » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:08 am

I sat there this morning, still quite undecided as to whether or not to purchase, and just decided not to.

I think I'm going to wait for Pascal, and get a proper 3440x1440, UHD(60), or 2560x1440(100Hz+) gsync screen.

While I love the idea, looks, and included stuff of the Vive, the price is still a bit high for almost no games, besides Elite, that I'd actually play.
If it wasn't for the fatigue they were speaking of, and the controllers only having a 4 hour battery, I might have pulled the trigger.

As it was, I needed to upgrade my GPU, and buying the periphreal as well just made it a bit too much, without knowing the price of the next gen Pascal x80 GPU.

Will be waiting to watch videos of others that went ahead though.

CMDR Abil Midena
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Abil Midena

Postby CMDR Abil Midena » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:11 am

FYI: Tom's Hardware has an article on the Vive release. See article here if you wish: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/htc...led,31242.html

What I found a little troubling was a comment made by a staff writer. If you look down at the comments, he ( Kevin Carbotte - Kcarbotte ) responds to another comment about using a 980ti, and in part, says:

"Elite Dangerous works with Vive, but from my experience with it, It's not ideal. You need a much more powerfull rig to play the game. It was the only one not designed for VR from the start at the showcase, and it was the only one that dipped below 90fps, and the only game at the showcase that anyone reported getting motion sickness."

I always suggest people read the whole article and both comment/reply to form their own opinion, but it was not the sort of comment an ED player would hope for.
My Youtube Channel
Elite - Elite - Elite

Darr Valen
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Darr Valen

Postby Darr Valen » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:26 am

CMDR Abil Midena wrote:FYI: Tom's Hardware has an article on the Vive release. See article here if you wish: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/htc...led,31242.html

What I found a little troubling was a comment made by a staff writer. If you look down at the comments, he ( Kevin Carbotte - Kcarbotte ) responds to another comment about using a 980ti, and in part, says:

"Elite Dangerous works with Vive, but from my experience with it, It's not ideal. You need a much more powerfull rig to play the game. It was the only one not designed for VR from the start at the showcase, and it was the only one that dipped below 90fps, and the only game at the showcase that anyone reported getting motion sickness."

I always suggest people read the whole article and both comment/reply to form their own opinion, but it was not the sort of comment an ED player would hope for.

That's troubling, but I'd heard something similar speaking of the Vive being pretty good in space, but then just a vomit-sim on the ground, due to the hardware not being up to snuff to keep high enough framerates to avoid sim sickness, and the natural bob and roll of the planet buggies.

From what I've gathered, nothing is really VR/4K ready.. since the 9xx series was mostly just titan re-used cards and downgraded 7xx chips.. which nvidia has been bad for doing for a few gens now.

But, the limited playing time and motion sickness sortt of stuff greatly influenced my decision to wait.

As it stands, I sincerely hope the Vive, and a bit less the Rift, and all the other HMDs are successful.. I've awaited VR since I was a kid, and first put on a VR Boy, and fell in love.. until I got sick.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:18 pm

With all fees it's not 800$ but almost 1400$ so..
I'm going to wait.
I also don't give two hoots about the "walking around thing" that's just not going to happen unless someone wants to buy me a new house.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Nethaufer
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Nethaufer

Postby Nethaufer » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:44 pm

TorTorden wrote:With all fees it's not 800$ but almost 1400$ so..
I'm going to wait.
I also don't give two hoots about the "walking around thing" that's just not going to happen unless someone wants to buy me a new house.

It's cases like this where I wish I could give rep like on the FDev forums. My 'house' is about the size of a small bedroom, since I'm at college, and I'd be tripping over everything in my room and running into walls.
And that price tag. Christ almighty, that may be enough for some to hock up, but I have nowhere near that level of expendable income for it.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:54 pm

Yeah I could easily build a "vr recommended" spec computer for that.

It's not like I'm entirely being frugal since I will probably forget to cancel my rift pre order..

But that I can pay for in two months. The vive would take me at least three. Maybe four if I put it on the Mastercard that's too much even if I don't have anyone to yell at me for it.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

smartroad
Master
Master
CMDR: Lase Mooray (PC) smartroad78 (XBOX)

Postby smartroad » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:11 pm

Trouble for me is I would need to buy an uprated GFX card adding another £200 on the price (I wonder how bad a 960 would really be?!)
Group Policy - The Order of Mobius General Orders

Darwin
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Darwin

Postby Darwin » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:13 pm

Still trying to track down a definitive hardware requirements spec to give reasonable performance.

Horizons with VR recommends a minimum of GTX 980 or equivalent, yet some say a Ti or better is needed for reasonable performance.
“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time”
CMDR Darwin, Inara profile

AndyB
Master
Master
CMDR: Andy Bulman

Postby AndyB » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:36 pm

you could end up spending £500 on a graphics card just to get the thing running - ouch
Combat: Elite Trade: Elite Exploration: Elite

Mobius PvE Group Facebook Admin,
Mobius PvE Group Forum Moderator,
Mobius PvE Lead Admin,
Mobius PvE America Lead Admin,
Mobius Factions Assistant Admin,
Mobius PvE Eurasia Assistant Admin,

Return to “Hardware and Technical”