Community Support for the machines running the game
Avago-Earo
Master
Master
CMDR: AVAGO EARO
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

5.1 Sound Solution?

Postby Avago-Earo » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:29 pm

I am thinking of purchasing the device on the link at the bottom of this post.

Here are my reasons:

I have my PC hooked up to a 32" TV in my living room and also a 5.1 surround amplifier with optical (SPDIF) inputs. The amp carries proper 5.1 sound and is not one of those that offers an approximation by sending signals to different speakers according to sudden changes in frequency then reverbs or doubles it up to give the impression of 5.1, like an explosion appearing from behind as the result of a 'best guess'.

So that cleared up, here's an attempt to explain my set up and possible solution and hopefully some replies for or against my proposal (I might be wrong, that's why I'm posting this). Apologies in advance if it's a bit lengthy but I don't want to miss anything and end up editing or bouncing back and forth over details that need further examination. Bollox, I've just made it longer just saying that.

Right. I don't want to rig up different speakers from the sound card as I already have surround speakers mounted to the wall. Neither do I want to solder in extra wires to the existing speaker and try to match and run them to another amp via the sound card. Also there was a post a while back on the Elite Forum about 5.1 not being that good with ED on some sound cards and a good few replies stated that the best 5.1 reproduction was through HDMI and that it seemed to be the current trend with today's technology.

Well. My GPU (GT 740 Super Clocked -yeah I know I'm saving for a 'real' one) has 5.1 sound over HDMI, but given the age of my TV (7 year old 32" Panasonic 1080p still amazing picture though) it doesn't support the newer sound signal on HDMI so it dithers down to 2.1. (Jeez this is long winded, get on with it!)

According to the device on the link at the bottom, I should be able to plug the GPU's HDMI into the audio extractor and the HDMI out into the TV then the 5.1 audio is routed to the optical out into my 5.1 amp's optical in and viola! sorted!

Am I right about this? And congratulations +rep yourself for getting this far into the post.

HDMI Audio Extractor:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Premium-HDMI- ... 27dfd2a913
"Wibble"

DustKart
Competent
Competent
CMDR: DustKart

Re: 5.1 Sound Solution?

Postby DustKart » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:43 pm

It would appear that's what it does.
What amp do you have (just out of interest)?

Avago-Earo
Master
Master

Postby Avago-Earo » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:22 pm

DustKart wrote:It would appear that's what it does.
What amp do you have (just out of interest)?

Nothing special. LG blu Ray player with supplied speakers so not up there with the big boys but I've heard worse for much more money. Can't find the manual but I know it supports DTS and all the ones that were prevalent when I got it 5 years ago. Did a test disc with it to confirm 5.1.
"Wibble"

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby GlobusDiablo » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:33 pm

Interesting post and solution. I started a few threads on this issue in the official forum (back in the day :P )

Yes. You need hdmi interface if you want access to full surround sound.

DTS, ProLogic and all that are compressed formats that can run through spdif (optical). E: D does not support this feature.

E: D runs uncompressed digital surround sound through hdmi.

So far so good. So does the box give you surround through your system. I couldn't say. I think it's quiete technical regarding what capabilities your amp has in handling uncompressed signals.

I run a similar setup to yours, using optical connection to my Denon surround receiver, but I have to use virtual surround setting, as I have no hdmi in. I have been seriously considering buying a newer Denon with hdmi features.

The box isn't exactly cheap, so I might consider getting a newer amp with built in hdmi interface. Could be a win win. :D

My 2p. :)
Last edited by GlobusDiablo on Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Avago-Earo
Master
Master

Postby Avago-Earo » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:57 pm

Cheers Globus.

I think you're thinking what I'm thinking without either of us knowing for sure. I have sent e-mails to the various ones I've looked at concerning these matters.

I think the only way to know for sure is to get one. There are a few UK sellers of similar items advertising DTS etc from HDMI, which is probably better considering all the shipping issues that can (and have to me) arise.

Anyway cheers for the input. I know my way fairly well concerning audio as I record instruments vocals and MIDI using PC these days but I've never really had to concern myself with PCM and DTS etc as just dither down to CD quality. One day I may go into video as my software does that with 7.1, but that will be back to the drawing board I think.
"Wibble"

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:01 pm

Avago-Earo wrote:Cheers Globus.

I think you're thinking what I'm thinking without either of us knowing for sure. I have sent e-mails to the various ones I've looked at concerning these matters.

I think the only way to know for sure is to get one. There are a few UK sellers of similar items advertising DTS etc from HDMI, which is probably better considering all the shipping issues that can (and have to me) arise.

Anyway cheers for the input. I know my way fairly well concerning audio as I record instruments vocals and MIDI using PC these days but I've never really had to concern myself with PCM and DTS etc as just dither down to CD quality. One day I may go into video as my software does that with 7.1, but that will be back to the drawing board I think.

Good. Just keep in mind that DTS, DD (dolby digital), and all those different formats are all compressed. So they won't do you any good with E: D.
It all comes down to the ability to handle the uncompressed signal via hdmi (from graphics card to amp). :)

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:09 pm

From what I read in the link, it says nothing of converting uncompressed to DTS, or any other recognized compressed digital format for that matter. I fear you might just end up with a badly compressed mono/stereo signal running through optical.
Tread carefully my friend. :)

Edit: It can handle the formats, but I don't think it codes them. I don't see any official logo's anywhere on the box...

Avago-Earo
Master
Master

Postby Avago-Earo » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:49 pm

GlobusDiablo wrote:From what I read in the link, it says nothing of converting uncompressed to DTS, or any other recognized compressed digital format for that matter. I fear you might just end up with a badly compressed mono/stereo signal running through optical.
Tread carefully my friend. :)

Edit: It can handle the formats, but I don't think it codes them. I don't see any official logo's anywhere on the box...

Very good point, I may have to reconsider (and just put up with virtual surround in the meantime). On a positive note though it gives me food for thought. There must be a way to combine all this in a box. Hmmm...

Well, We get sound out of our amps right?

(ok analogous electrical signals that move over an electromagnetic coil or suchlike that in turn moves a diaphragm that is amplified in a cone that rarefies the surrounding air that in turn moves our ear drum that then gets sent to our brain that interprets the message as perceived sound - if a tree falls but there's no one there does it make a sound etc etc)

And devices convert digital packets of various formats into corresponding electrical signals that get amplified according to their formats to be send along the corresponding wires, yeah?

But eventually all this information does get through in the right place in the right order with compatible devices. Why not have a chip that recognises the signal type and format and sends it along the correct signal path to the optical SPDIF output? You can probably see this is way out of my comfort zone and I could be talking crap but whatever the format we have devices that convert them all or they wouldn't exist.

I'm going to be Googling again...
"Wibble"

Avago-Earo
Master
Master

Postby Avago-Earo » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:50 pm

"Wibble"

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:13 pm

Avago-Earo wrote: (ok analogous electrical signals that move over an electromagnetic coil or suchlike that in turn moves a diaphragm that is amplified in a cone that rarefies the surrounding air that in turn moves our ear drum that then gets sent to our brain that interprets the message as perceived sound - if a tree falls but there's no one there does it make a sound etc etc).....

Settle down Commander! :D

It's all down to licensing. Using the registered compression software is expensive.

Nope. Same thing again. Stick your hdmi source in here (compressed or otherwise), and we promise you "sound" out the other end, through optical. Stear clear my friend.

I can buy a second hand surround receiver from a main brand, with hdmi support, including all the major compression licenses for the equivalant of say 60 quid and upward. That would be my safest bet.

But it's the uncompressed surround signal you'll be getting from E: D, so you need an amp that can handle that.

Return to “Hardware and Technical”