Community Support for the machines running the game
GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: 5.1 Sound Solution?

Postby GlobusDiablo » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:37 pm

Avago-Earo wrote:....Got my Cambridge Audio stereo amp and connected it to the rear speaker jack on the PC. Took the rear speaker cables out of the Home Cinema and connected them to the C.A. amp. Connected the front speaker jack of the mobo to the auxiliary (RCA) L & R input on the h' cinema. (did it this way for reasons of the positions of the amps and speakers / lengths of cables and wires (all the same ohms))

Set up PC audio config thus: Quadrophonic. Going get a cable to connect a guitar practice amp to the sub woofer output on the PC, then I'll go 5.1.

It works fine, I just have to balance front and rear manually with the two amps respective volume controls. Sounds great actually, just more frigging cables and wires to manage .

Sounds absolutely crazy! :shock: :D

Get yourself an hdmi receiver Avi. You won't regret it.

Avago-Earo
Master
Master
CMDR: AVAGO EARO
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby Avago-Earo » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:59 pm

Funds allowing I will.
"Wibble"

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:18 pm

Back again.

After reconnecting to E: D (haven't been on since the infamous newsletter) digital surround is off again. I checked the pc, and it's sending juicy digital surround via hdmi to my Onkyo amp. I tried blu ray, and Dark Souls 2. Great digital surround, including center speaker.

But E: D won't work. Bollocks.

Edit: Created a ticket.

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:50 pm

GlobusDiablo wrote:Back again.

After reconnecting to E: D (haven't been on since the infamous newsletter) digital surround is off again. I checked the pc, and it's sending juicy digital surround via hdmi to my Onkyo amp. I tried blu ray, and Dark Souls 2. Great digital surround, including center speaker.

But E: D won't work. Bollocks.

Edit: Created a ticket.

Solved.

Did a complete erase and reinstall of the game, and magically the center speaker signal reappeared.

FzCruzer
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: FzCruzer

Postby FzCruzer » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:38 pm

Wanted to thank all that contributed to this thread, even though, my initial problem and solution ended up being a little different than yours.

I upgraded my sound system or so I thought to a digital only (optical) sound bar and surround system. I could not get it to produce 5.1 sound in Elite. I also needed a simple analog output to support two base shakers that I have installed in my sim rig. I could not figure out how to get both an analog output and could not figure out why I did not have full surround sound.

I have been using a Logiteck Z5500 system and it was not all that great and was not producing 5.1 sound in elite either using the optical input.

So what I ended up doing is going back to the Z5500 system and used the direct 6 channel input. I have great surround sound and an analog signal for the shakers. It is great now, the low tones in the game really make the base come alive with the large subwoofer and shakers, even simple things like going into a station sounds and feels amazing.

Thanks again.

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:21 pm

FzCruzer wrote:Wanted to thank all that contributed to this thread, even though, my initial problem and solution ended up being a little different than yours.........

Cheers Commander. Sounds like an awesome setup.

Yeah, unless you're using hdmi, the direct channnel input is the only way to access the true digital surround signal in Elite: Dangerous. Optical only carries decoded surround signals.

I've been very impressed with Logitech pc speaker systems in the past. I had a 2.1 system some years back which was very impressive. I found this nice little review of your system:

http://youtube.com/v/xEm6Pw_VGrw

I'd love to hear/see more about your sim rig?

Fly safe.

FzCruzer
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: FzCruzer

Postby FzCruzer » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:36 pm

I like the hardware threads, maybe I will clean up the rig, known in the house as the contraption, and start a thread soon to share.

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:02 pm

FzCruzer wrote:I like the hardware threads, maybe I will clean up the rig, known in the house as the contraption, and start a thread soon to share.

Sounds good. Would you drop me a link here when you do?

Return to “Hardware and Technical”