Community Support for the machines running the game
Mattwood
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Dread Pirate Willy
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Pentium G3258/Corsair Link questions

Postby Mattwood » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:57 am

So i went out and replaced my laptop last week, put together a computer for around 600 quid.. (I was given the 240gb ssd free, and the 1tb drive is from a very old desktop)

The brief specs are:

Fractal Node 304 Case (airflow aint bad, it's just a ballache fitting everything in, will post pics if anyone is interested)
Pentium 20th Anniversary G3258 Processor OC to 4.5ghz @ 1.3v
Corsair H80i GT cooler (29oc idle - 65/70oc under load(Prime95))
Asus Z97i PLUS Mini ITX board (awesome little board, so many features for such a tiny board)
8GB Kingston Memory 1866mhz
Nvidia EVGA Superclocked 960 w/ ACX cooler
1 x 120gb SSD w/ OS
1 x 240gb SSD (games)
1 x 1tb HDU (storage)

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/p9Pnf7

I have a few questions regarding the Pentium, i've googled it but i was wondering if anyone here had one; 1.3v seems a little high for overclocking and daily use, however it's a 50 quid chip and i'm planning on upgrading to an i5 when i have the cash. If anyone does has one, whats your OC/voltage and temperatures?

Also, corsair link.. why is this software so buggy?!

As a footnote yeah i am aware this chip can and will bottleneck, i havn't seen it yet and i'm playing elite full ultra @ 2715 x 1527. I know elite isn't too CPU intensive though. it's worth noting all the games i currently own can be played at ultra with no issues.

LionOfNarnia
Master
Master
CMDR: Lion Freeman

Re: Pentium G3258/Corsair Link questions

Postby LionOfNarnia » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:30 pm

Can't comment on your build, I have an i7-3770, 12gb & an HD7990, but I do have an H-series cooler and I haven't had any problems with CorsairLink in the six months it's been running.
"I don't always kill & eat things - but when I do it's because I'm a Lion & they were things"

Avago-Earo
Master
Master
CMDR: AVAGO EARO

Postby Avago-Earo » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:31 pm

Sorry I don't have the knowledge to answer regarding the G3258 Processor because I'm relatively new to PC buiding, but it may help you to know that I did my first build a year ago and got a used i5 4460 from Novatech. It was advertised as being used in a Display/Demonstration PC. It's been stable the whole time and I saved quite a few quid. There are obviously risks to buying used components but Novatech were very up front about returning goods for replacement or refund. They even offered me that months after the agreed time limit when I had a problem, but that was with the Motherboard anyway so I had no need to return it.

Hope this helps a bit.
"Wibble"

Mattwood
Novice
Novice

Postby Mattwood » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:39 pm

LionOfNarnia wrote:I do have an H-series cooler and I haven't had any problems with CorsairLink in the six months it's been running.

Hmm i may need to do a reinstall of it then, see how that goes. When you right click the tray icon and choose quiet/balanced is there a noticeable change in the fan idle speed? It does select the profile but usually on quiet mode it's silent.

Avago-Earo wrote:Sorry I don't have the knowledge to answer regarding the G3258 Processor because I'm relatively new to PC buiding, but it may help you to know that I did my first build a year ago and got a used i5 4460 from Novatech. It was advertised as being used in a Display/Demonstration PC.

Wow i didn't know you could buy ex display from Novatech, you got a link for it? I can hardly imagine they stressed it that much and i'm sure it'd be installed with care aswell.

All in all i'm well happy with the price/specs of this machine. It runs like a dream.

LionOfNarnia
Master
Master

Postby LionOfNarnia » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:57 pm

Quiet as a Mouse (well, a Mouse without a keyboard, anyway ;) )

"I don't always kill & eat things - but when I do it's because I'm a Lion & they were things"

Mattwood
Novice
Novice

Postby Mattwood » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:19 pm

LionOfNarnia wrote:Quiet as a Mouse (well, a Mouse without a keyboard, anyway ;) )

Nice! i originally wanted to go ATX and get a 100i but i didn't want a huge PC on my drawers. The fractal node 304 doesn't look too out of place (apart from being white, £20 more for a black one?!?)..

Wouldn't happen to have a TMPIN0(or equivalent) sensor on corsair link too would you? I'm told this is the CPU slot itself and gets to around 100c, this is normal. Anything above 200 however, isn't.

LionOfNarnia
Master
Master

Postby LionOfNarnia » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:02 pm

I have this case - http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/carbide-se ... tower-case

No idea about that sensor, sorry.

Avago-Earo
Master
Master
CMDR: AVAGO EARO

Postby Avago-Earo » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:28 am

"Wibble"

Return to “Hardware and Technical”