Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Sozzac
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: New screen advice tips?

Postby Sozzac » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:52 pm

Mattwood wrote:
Sozzac wrote:
Mattwood wrote:What do you mean by die out? screen fade or intermittent failure?

Screen just turn black :/

Permanently or in certain circumstances? no software changes/drivers etc? Cables checked?

Is the monitor showing signs of power? (LED's etc) if no power it could be a cap blown but this would be a permanent failure, can be easy to solve if you have a soldering iron and can order the replacement cap.

Perma dead screens 2 of them the leds are lit up but the screen is dead

Replacement CAP where can I find those ?

Mattwood
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Dread Pirate Willy

Postby Mattwood » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:44 pm

Hmmm, most of the time when the caps are dead it's on the power circuit so i'm not sure you'd see power to the LED's aswell. When they were failing was it gradual or instant?

If you have a little bit of tinkering knowledge you could take the monitor apart, check the caps for any that have bulging or popped tops, be careful doing this as caps can and will hold charge. While you're in there reseat the cabling if theres no bad caps (Depending on age caps are common to bulge in monitors and are a pretty easy fix)

For reference, heres a vid showing exactly this

For reference, blown caps will look like this:

In extreme cases they'll look like this

Caps are available at http://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/passive-c ... apacitors/ or any similar sites. You need to know the exact spec of the caps there and a little soldering knowledge too.

Edited to add YT link

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:32 pm

Years ago found one in work that was being chucked......Thought I'd take it as I wanted a monitor at the time for a jukebox project....

It did not work.....Took it apart....Found a domed cap......Replaced it and the monitor worked.....

First time I had done it...But I had nothing to lose...so why not try it.....

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

Sozzac
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby Sozzac » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:13 am

Well one was star ting to show black fields that go black the other just go installera death

Sozzac
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby Sozzac » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:15 am

Well I think I mood some screens soon :)

Mattwood
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Dread Pirate Willy

Postby Mattwood » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:31 pm

Cmdr Kharma wrote:Years ago found one in work that was being chucked......Thought I'd take it as I wanted a monitor at the time for a jukebox project....

It did not work.....Took it apart....Found a domed cap......Replaced it and the monitor worked.....

First time I had done it...But I had nothing to lose...so why not try it.....

Seems to be one of the most common reasons a monitor will go kaput, TV's too, people throw them out all the time and it's possible all they need is the caps changing.

Definitely struck gold with a free monitor though!

Sozzac wrote:Well I think I mood some screens soon :)

It's worth taking them apart before you buy new ones though if that's what you mean, if you can't fix them yourself someone will for very little money :)

Return to “Hardware and Technical”