Saitek or Thrustmaster and why all say Saitek is bad ?

Community Support for the machines running the game
Sozzac
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Sozzac
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby Sozzac » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:49 am

At this moment I got a Logitech extreme pro with twist and strafe function fly with assist off :)

I need a new and most people is stay away from Saitek as I havent used joystick for years for gaming
and I realy dont fancy paying 4 grand for one

any advice?

I need strafing and twist options I dont wanna go back to keyboard

Br S

ps I also play SC ..

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Saitek or Thrustmaster and why all say Saitek is bad ?

Postby Loriath » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:28 am

It is like anything else. If you have a bad experience with anything, say a bad experience at a restaurant, you will tell EVERYONE Loudly. But if you don't have any issues, you don't tell everyone that "The restaurant was ok."

Same with products and services.

That said, I have the X52 Pro, and love it. No issues what so ever.
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

M. Kowalsky
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Matt Kowalsky

Postby M. Kowalsky » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:12 am

I don't have one myself, but it can't be all that bad if Mr Braben is using one: https://twitter.com/DavidBraben/status/ ... 8341511169

smartroad
Master
Master
CMDR: Lase Mooray (PC) smartroad78 (XBOX)

Postby smartroad » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:28 am

I have an old 10+year Saitek x45 and it is (mostly) still going strong. Had another thread here where I mentioned it might be on it's way out but they are niggles causes by it's use of potentiometers and they don't always read at the extremes (throttle) and have jitter in the middle (joystick). Would I buy another one? Yes it has been the one controller that I haven't changed, joypads I have had 4 or 5 in the same time of differing makes and manufactures, keyboards about 3 and countless mice. Sure it has never been as heavily used as it has now outside of playing Freelancer but has been on and off over that time.

Overall it is a good stick let down by the technology of its day. These days sticks use hall effect sensors and would last much much longer!

Saitek FTW! :lol:
Group Policy - The Order of Mobius General Orders

Y0URD34D
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Y0URD34D

Postby Y0URD34D » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:38 am

I own a X55 Rhino, and for me, the stick and throttle work well, just the 4-way hats loose the 'feedback-point' (like black vs brown Cherry-switches), which is just a tad sad, as for 190€ i expect it to work and not break as fast.
Overall I am very happy with it, for the last 6 months it has served me well.

D34D

LionOfNarnia
Master
Master
CMDR: Lion Freeman

Postby LionOfNarnia » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:49 am

I started with a T-Flight, been using an X52-Pro since June. No problems except that TS messes up the software calibration so I now run that on my 2nd PC.

It's - by a LONG way - the best HOTAS I've ever tried. Takes some research, thought & planning to optimise for E: D but worth the effort.

That said, I'd jump at the chance to help design an "X-69" ;) specifically for Elite (More buttons & less spinney, slidey things basically.)
"I don't always kill & eat things - but when I do it's because I'm a Lion & they were things"

Phreedom
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Phreedom

Postby Phreedom » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:54 am

I think the whole "Saitek is bad" started when it was acquired by Mad Catz back in 2007. Before the buyout, Saitek had a reputation of putting out quality peripherals while Mad Catz...well...didn't. Saitek's North American HQ was moved to Mad Catz San Diego offices and Saitek's rep started to fade...warranted or not.
Home System: Alioth / CMDR Since: Dec 2014-Mercenary Edition PC / Command Center / YouTube

Mouse
Master
Master
CMDR: Baigs

Postby Mouse » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:23 am

had a X-52 for over 10 years and loved it.. upgraded to a X-55 when it finally failed and so far have no issues
In the beginning the Universe was created. This had made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - HHGTTGImageImage

Jeffers2112
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Jasper Randall

Postby Jeffers2112 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:00 pm

Got an X-52 after my joystick died.
After a bit of fiddling to get it configured as I like it I'm finding it really good.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:35 pm

It's a rule of the Internet.

People log on to bitch nine times out of ten, if not more.
I don't know what market percentage on joysticks that are shared between site and Thrustmaster but I'm guessing it's into the 90 percentile combined (last time I checked logitech stopped making them)
It's very bad business to make something with an obscene failure rate since that will just cost you in warranties etc etc. Joysticks are also quite complex being both precision mechanical and electronic devices. Making a device like this that will be pulled and yanked around in the heat of simulated combat and never become loose or creaky is simply near impossible.

So a lot comes down to how you use it but I wouldn't expect them to last forever.
Saitek also has a fairly good track record from what I read when it comes to honouring warranty so they fix and or replace broken devices.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Return to “Hardware and Technical”