Saitek or Thrustmaster and why all say Saitek is bad ?

Community Support for the machines running the game
Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Saitek or Thrustmaster and why all say Saitek is bad ?

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:38 pm

I had a cheaper Saitek and it's the only joystick I remember that broke. It lasted less than a year of actual use. I replaced it with the Logitech and couldn't be happier. Did your Logitech break, or are you just looking for an upgrade? As for throttles, nothing beats the CH Pro Throttle because of the analog thumb joystick for thruster control - imho, of course. If CH made a twist joystick I'd buy one in an instant.

(p.s. I didn't add the links)
It's time to give this another go.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:02 pm

It seems the forum does weird a thing whenever you type logitech and don't immediately punctuate.

Talk about sneaky advertising...

I also went with CH kit, that mi I joystick on the throttle really work, and I got pedals for rudder.

If you don't want to go with pedals you could setup up so a buttons to shift roll to rudder.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

HAMM3R
Expert
Expert
CMDR: HAMM3R

Postby HAMM3R » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:31 pm

I'm loving my X-55. Only gripe is the smaller rotary on the throttle stick isn't centered correctly. If I center the rotary so that it clicks the calibration software shows that it's actually applied slightly forwards.

Set my forward/backward thrusters on to it and took a while to figure out why my speed wouldn't go to zero eventhough I pulled the throttle all the way back :lol:
Scooping fuel is very much like making love to a beautiful woman. First check the target is hot enough,
then approach slowly. Once close enough, pull out your scoop and fill her up. After you're done just
gently pull away, turn around and leave.

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby GlobusDiablo » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:57 pm

Saitek has the twist stick giving you rudder on the stick, which I consider a bonus.

I'll be going for the x52pro equivalent come Vive/Oculus retail release.

VR, new graphics card, HOTAS... 2016 is going to be expensive... :)

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Xebeth » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:49 pm

I've had an X-55 for 6 months or more and I'm very happy with it.

The stick did start to make an annoying grinding sound, but a bit of WD40 sorted that, otherwise no problems
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Wolf
Master
Master
CMDR: Dexter Wolf

Postby Wolf » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:58 pm

TorTorden wrote:It seems the forum does weird a thing whenever you type logitech and don't immediately punctuate.

Talk about sneaky advertising...

Yep. Playing around with automated product linking, but it does not do what I want it to do. :(
So far it either links nothing, or too much, or at the most inconvenient places ;) I will try some more variants.
The behaviour will change in the next couple of days, until I'm satisfied.

Hope it does not disturb too much until then.

Cheers
Wolf

evovi
Master
Master
CMDR: Auloria

Postby evovi » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:00 pm

I've got the x52 - only gripe I have is the led's behind the buttons sometimes think they are in a rave - other than that, I love it, I keep looking for the pro version on eBay as a bargain but keep missing out by a few ££

FANTA5M1C
Competent
Competent
CMDR: FANTA5M1C

Postby FANTA5M1C » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:00 pm

Well, this isn't tremendously relevent as I have cheaper equipment than you're looking for, but I figured I'd talk about what I have in case someone is looking in that range.

I have a thrustmaster T.16000M for my right hand and an ancient saitek cyborg graphite for my left. Overall, I love the setup, but I need to replace the thrustmaster already because I think it's defective. It worked great for a month, and now I've started getting crossed signals between the RZ twist axis and the U axis throttle slider. Thankfully, I only have the slider set to my sensor zoom, but if I move it off of center I often get sudden yaw inputs that have put me into a wall or asteroid more than once. Other than the defect I must agree with it's most common criticisms and say that the buttons feel cheapish, and the trigger feels especially fragile, but the stick itself is smooth and accurate as long as you keep it greased.

The saitek isn't perfect as it needs an immense dead zone (being old and analog), but that's ok for the verticle and lateral strafing thrusters I've assigned it to, and the large throttle paddle makes it easy to adjust without looking. In fact, the range and accuracy are nearly that of a HOTAS handle and I use the full range throttle with zero issues. The buttons are all well made and show no signs of problems. I honestly wish there was a way to move the trigger over to the thrustmaster. Honestly, I'm surprised to say that if you're looking for a dual stick setup, I'd be hard pressed to suggest a better off-hand stick. It's only real downsides are the stick accuracy and the lack of a twist axis, and it makes up for that with solid construction and a better throttle than any modern single stick controller I can find.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:12 pm

Aye there really was some good sticks for good value back in the day.
They broke a lot too though.
I think I wore out three logitech sticks with just descent alone :lol:

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

MrGuarnere
Novice
Novice
CMDR: MrGuarnere

Postby MrGuarnere » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:27 am

Had a Saitek Evo Cyborg joystick for like the last 10 years and its only just started to miss centre a bit, so I decided to upgrade and got myself the Saitek X52 HOTAS and its the best thing I have ever used! Makes the game 1000x more enjoyable and makes you feel like you're properly flying the ship.

Best £60 I ever spent!

Return to “Hardware and Technical”