Community Support for the machines running the game
Jeffers2112
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Jasper Randall
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

X-52 configuration issue

Postby Jeffers2112 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:29 am

I've just got an X-52 HOTAS and I'm trying to set it up.
In Elite I selected X-52 as controls and then changed a few things to customise it to my liking.
I have a couple of issues. Elite doesn't seem to recognise input from the little scroll wheel or it's switch (button J32 on the properties screen) on the throttle. It also doesn't see button J31, which is the one by the ministick on the throttle.
All of these work fine on the HOTAS properties screen, so I know that they are working. I've also downloaded the latest drivers (7.0.27.13, unless anyone knows of anything later) I can't find button J30, but that not a big issue. I'm just puzzled as to where it might be....
Any ideas?

de Carabas
Master
Master
CMDR: de Carabas

Re: X-52 configuration issue

Postby de Carabas » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:21 pm

I had the same issue when I was on win 8.1. There's a thread on the main forum with some guidance on how to setup. If I can find the link I'll post it. For me it didn't help but I found that what did was to have a profile where I mapped the scroll wheel up to the numpad 5 and scroll down to numpad 2. I then mapped those keys to what I wanted in the options (which was scrolling through subsystems and to move between tabs in the menus).

Since upgrading to Win 10, that no longer works and I can get somewhere by running with no profile setup. The problem now is that it moves too far - one click up moves two or three tabs/subsystems which is very annoying. It's also clearly treating the scroll wheel (and the little button you mentioned) as if it's the mouse which causes some confusion.

I do plan to spend some time on sorting this, just haven't got round to it yet.

Might be something in here (says pro but sure it applies to normal x52 as well) https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15257
Rename your screen shots automatically! - Screen Shot Changer Visit MartianFire for more info.

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:04 pm

When I ran windows 7 E-D had no problem picking up the "mouse wheel" on the throttle as well as the mouse button. I was able to assign them to things in game, and I didn't use the Saitek profile software at all.

BTW, you do need to turn off the clutch in Windows game controller if you weren't aware. I'm not sure what all buttons that limits, I think it's just the stick's pinkie button.

Anyway... when I installed Windows10, E-D wouldn't see several of the buttons on my X-52 Pro, although Windows 'game controller' saw them working just fine. I ended up following the instructions hereand installing the Saitek profiler. I setup a profile with one mode and all buttons are unassigned (critical to your success in this endeavor). E-D picks up the "mouse" button as a numbered button (no mouse conflicts with screen navigation.... YAY!) and the thumbwheel is able to be used as well.

My only gripe is that I have to select my profile within the Saitek profiler each time I reboot, otherwise the 'unassigned' buttons won't work correctly. I'm old and the less I have to remember, the better. ;)

Hope that helps. :)
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

de Carabas
Master
Master

Postby de Carabas » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:16 pm

JohnLuke wrote: ..... I ended up following the instructions hereand installing the Saitek profiler.

That was the post I was looking for. These instructions didn't work for me in win8 nor in Win10.
JohnLuke wrote:My only gripe is that I have to select my profile within the Saitek profiler each time I reboot, otherwise the 'unassigned' buttons won't work correctly. I'm old and the less I have to remember, the better. ;)

You can specify a start-up profile by right-clicking on it in the menu from the notification area and selecting the 'Set as startup profile'. Or do you mean that bit doesn't work for you?

The software and drivers are a little inconsistant. I read somewhere that Saitek were going to release Win10 drivers in September but not sure how reliable that is.

UPDATE: Just found there are beta drivers from yesterday ftp://ftp.saitek.com/pub/software/beta/Windows10/ anyone feeling brave?
Rename your screen shots automatically! - Screen Shot Changer Visit MartianFire for more info.

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly

Postby JohnLuke » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:06 pm

de Carabas wrote:You can specify a start-up profile by right-clicking on it in the menu from the notification area and selecting the 'Set as startup profile'. Or do you mean that bit doesn't work for you?

Genius! Thank you, thank you, thank you! :D

I never thought to right click on the profile itself on the menu.
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

de Carabas
Master
Master

Postby de Carabas » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:18 am

I realised last night that the pinkie switch on my X52 isn't detected in game any more. This is since the move to Win 10, again I've not noticed it as I only use it in combat and I was exploring......

Clutch mode is disabled. I've tried the win10 bets drivers as well. :(

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath

Postby Loriath » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:09 am

de Carabas wrote:I realised last night that the pinkie switch on my X52 isn't detected in game any more. This is since the move to Win 10, again I've not noticed it as I only use it in combat and I was exploring......

Do you have the Programming software installed? Check that the Pinkie is set as Undefined in there. If it got switched it will screw up.
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

de Carabas
Master
Master

Postby de Carabas » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:09 am

Loriath wrote:
de Carabas wrote:I realised last night that the pinkie switch on my X52 isn't detected in game any more. This is since the move to Win 10, again I've not noticed it as I only use it in combat and I was exploring......

Do you have the Programming software installed? Check that the Pinkie is set as Undefined in there. If it got switched it will screw up.

Good thought, I'll double-check. At the moment the software is there and running but with no profile selected so it shouldn't matter what it says in there. I think.

I'll go in there and check it all this evening. Given the issues with the pinkie switch and the fact the scroll wheel is doing more movement than one increment at a time (if that makes sense) I'm going to need to play about for a bit.

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly

Postby JohnLuke » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:14 am

de Carabas wrote:
Good thought, I'll double-check. At the moment the software is there and running but with no profile selected so it shouldn't matter what it says in there. I think.

I'll go in there and check it all this evening. Given the issues with the pinkie switch and the fact the scroll wheel is doing more movement than one increment at a time (if that makes sense) I'm going to need to play about for a bit.

You probably need to have a profile selected and running. Otherwise the Saitek profiler will assign the pinky switch to clutch, I believe. I recommend making a profile that unassigns every switch that you're having trouble with.
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Jeffers2112
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Jasper Randall

Postby Jeffers2112 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:13 am

I think it's all sorted.
Thanks very much to JohnLuke for the tips. I've installed the Saitek software and set up a profile with pretty much everything "unprogrammed" except for the throttle scroll wheel which I've mapped to page-up & page-down to adjust scanner range.
Only tested in it in training so far but it's looking good!
Plus it's quite cool having my CMDR name on the MFD when I'm playing!

Return to “Hardware and Technical”