Time for a new flight stick... X52 Pro or X-55 Rhino???

Community Support for the machines running the game
pargyrak
Master
Master
CMDR: pargyrak
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Time for a new flight stick... X52 Pro or X-55 Rhino???

Postby pargyrak » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:59 pm

My X52 non pro starting to show signs of fatigue... I have two options. One to order a new pro or to use the good old MS Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 leaving the X52 throttle. Has any one done it? The FF2 is unused although dates back to the previous millennium if I am not mistaken...
Order of Mobius Council
Friends call me pargy

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Loriath » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:01 pm

pargyrak wrote:My X52 non pro starting to show signs of fatigue... I have two options. One to order a new pro or to use the good old MS Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 leaving the X52 throttle. Has any one done it? The FF2 is unused although dates back to the previous millennium if I am not mistaken...

Is that even USB? Or do you have an adapter? Hell if it works and you save a few $$ might as well.

What sort of Fatigue issues?
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

pargyrak
Master
Master

Postby pargyrak » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:18 pm

Yes it is USB and it very very well build. I found it in a box that it was packed when I left Greece and it was there till I opened the box 6 years and 4 moves later. It could use a few more buttons but when I tried it and it felt better than the X52.
Now that I am on holidays in Greece, I got myself a Logitech G13 game board so I am thinking to combine the game board (for buttons) the X52 throttle and the ForceFeedback when I get back.

The joystick of the x52 started to get off center and making some annoying squeaks.
Order of Mobius Council
Friends call me pargy

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath

Postby Loriath » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:21 pm

pargyrak wrote:Yes it is USB and it very very well build. I found it in a box that it was packed when I left Greece and it was there till I opened the box 6 years and 4 moves later. It could use a few more buttons but when I tried it and it felt better than the X52.
Now that I am on holidays in Greece, I got myself a Logitech G13 game board so I am thinking to combine the game board (for buttons) the X52 throttle and the ForceFeedback when I get back.

The joystick of the x52 started to get off center and making some annoying squeaks.

I have considered a G13, but I cant seem to make myself do it. As far as the annoying squeaks, it needs some lithium grease. And the Off center is fixed with the magnet mod.

See here for the magnet mod https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfJNiHmEszk

and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CETNk4HIjU4 for the lube fix for creak.
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

pargyrak
Master
Master

Postby pargyrak » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:40 pm

Thanks I will take a look when I am back home. I am paying 10 Euros per 5Gb so youtube is currently off limits
Order of Mobius Council
Friends call me pargy

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:40 pm

bought a g13 on a whim during a sale, can't really recommend it since I find it rather pointless been collecting dust for the most part.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Xerxryn
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Xerxryn

Postby Xerxryn » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:32 am

JohnLuke wrote:I **LOVE** my X-52 Pro. :D

I believe that in order to take advantage of the 3 profiles, you'll have to install the software that comes with the HOTAS. I had nothing but trouble with that software, to the point of Windows not even booting up. It was God awful. I spent a good hour or more removing that crap from my PC and getting things back to normal. YMMV. BTW, I am running Windows 7 64bit.

I use the Windows game controller 'software' to turn off the choke, and dim the illumination. Everything else is configured through E-D. I am making use of every button and thumbwheel, except the mouse. (it works but it's much more awkward than using the mouse that is 4" away.)
;)

It's a bit of a problem that the saitek software is garbage, I have my doubt about the saitek route but there not much choice at this price range. I think I may go a different way and get the CH pro throttle. CH users love them and never heard any real problems with them. So keep my current stick and combine it with the CH throttle is the way to go for me.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:23 am

I too spent a lot of time contemplating getting either a saitek or even the thrustmaster warthog.

But I went with CH fighterstick and prothrottle, absolutely no regrets even though it probably cost me more than the warthog in the end.
And I even topped it off with the CH pro-pedals :\
each of these cost about as much as the saitek x52 at the least, so no argument on price point here.

I have had no problems with the software, but for now all I have needed was calibrating my stick and throttle (they need a re-cal every 14-20 days or so but that is about it)

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Hrdina
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Hrdina

Postby Hrdina » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:10 am

TorTorden wrote:I too spent a lot of time contemplating getting either a saitek or even the thrustmaster warthog.

But I went with CH fighterstick and prothrottle, absolutely no regrets even though it probably cost me more than the warthog in the end.
And I even topped it off with the CH pro-pedals :\
each of these cost about as much as the saitek x52 at the least, so no argument on price point here.

I have had no problems with the software, but for now all I have needed was calibrating my stick and throttle (they need a re-cal every 14-20 days or so but that is about it)

I've been using CH kit for years, absolutely years.

I originally bought it for IL2 Sturmovik and for MS Flight Sim, but it works really well for Dangerous too.

I've got four pieces (Stick, Throttle, Pedals, and Yoke) and use all but the yoke for Dangerous. I only use the pedals for combat, though. I've been really happy with it, and highly recommend it. Make sure you get the latest CH Control Manager SW, though, and check out the CH Hangar forum for help with programming it.
Jameson & Son are my copilots

pargyrak
Master
Master

Postby pargyrak » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:33 pm

Well I found a small offer for X52 Pro and bought it during my lunch break. Can't wait to get home to test drive it in a Hi-RES
Order of Mobius Council
Friends call me pargy

Return to “Hardware and Technical”