Community Support for the machines running the game
Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Opinions of GTX 960

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Fri May 08, 2015 12:12 am

qlock wrote:FYI: the current version of ED only uses one card in a system with SLI. I was disappointing to find that out when pairing 2 970's. still plays great on one though.

Huh? I've seen lots of people talk about using SLI with ED. I was so impressed with how ED looks with supersampling set to 1.5 or 2.0 that I picked up a second 970 and SLI worked with no problems. I spent a few hours doing some FPS tests. I won't post all the numbers here, but my FPS was between 70% and 90% higher with two gfx cards installed under various conditions (2560x1440).

Now, with supersampling set to 1.5, I maintain a solid 60FPS (v-sync on and limited to 60FPS), except it can drop into the 50's in the station and in a RES. At 2.0 it will usually be 50-60FPS in most situations, and drop into the 40's in the station and in a RES. So I'm using 1.5 now and will experiment with adjusting down some of the other graphics quality settings to boost the FPS.
It's time to give this another go.

stummies
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Stummies

Postby stummies » Wed May 13, 2015 8:16 pm

I was recently playing the game on an i7 920, 12GB memory and a GTX 760 1GB. No hard numbers to provide but the game ran well enough, smooth frame rates (subjective), med/high settings at 1080p. Upgraded last weekend to a GTX970, same system otherwise... maxed settings and plays like a dream. A 960 would have likely done fine too.

Cmdr Schmitt
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: SCHMITT

Postby Cmdr Schmitt » Wed May 13, 2015 8:41 pm

Today I upgraded from Gtx 570 to an Asus Gtx 960 4MB Strix. What a nice change! Before I was running 1080p 30 - 60 fps with no AA and the card sounded like a vacuum cleaner. Now I run at full ultra setting with AA and 1*SS and it haven't been dropping under 55 fps in a busy station....and it's soooo quiet!

smartroad
Master
Master
CMDR: Lase Mooray (PC) smartroad78 (XBOX)
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby smartroad » Wed May 13, 2015 9:08 pm

I've brought the 960 now :) On ultra at 1080p I get a smooth 60FPS (v-sync) everywhere except in station when it drops to 56-57
Group Policy - The Order of Mobius General Orders

DeepCut
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: DEEPCUT

Postby DeepCut » Tue May 19, 2015 8:06 pm

The 970 VRAM problem is offputting for 4K users :

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2875740/ ... specs.html

But stringent tests on the 960 4GB version can be summarised by saying that for some games, depending on the code and the rest of the PC architecture, there is an improvement, so i ordered one it arrives tomorrow.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/1888- ... ark-vs-2gb

atb,

DC.

Boozeman
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Boozeman

Postby Boozeman » Wed May 20, 2015 6:27 am

Hi,

I upgraded from Asus GTX 570 Direct CU II colossal 3 slot monster card to an Asus Strix GTX 960 Direct CU II 2MB. All with ultra and did not find any problems. GTX 960 noise is slight breeze compared to to GTX 570. I do not want any better than that, because I have no room for 3 display sets.

andyraptor
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: andyraptor

Postby andyraptor » Tue May 26, 2015 5:18 pm

Wish I had seen this thread earlier :(

I run a older i7 920, similiar to stummies, my HD 5970 finally gave up the ghost so I updated to one of these 3 weeks ago

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprod ... ubcat=1752

runs E:D on ultra settings smooth as butter, windowed 1920 x 1080 + 2 other screens ( 3 screen setup total ) ... quiet as a mouse and I just can't tell you how impressed I am with it

I experimented with various XFire setups when they where all the rage many years ago ( ok 6 ish) and frankly I found them a complete waste of cash..... go for single card setups... :)

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:47 am

I got the 2gb 960 and it runs fine at Max settings at 1080p.
Even 3x1080p is playable when dropping a few settings from Max.
I normally just prefer one screen, the other two monitors gets plenty use for web browsing and watching Netflix while trading.

I am however eyeing a bigger card, but that's mainly because I'm also tempted to hop on the VR bandwagon.
But I'm trying to contain myself for atleast a finished product version of the oculus.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Riboflavin
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Riboflavin

Postby Riboflavin » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:20 pm

TorTorden wrote:I am however eyeing a bigger card, but that's mainly because I'm also tempted to hop on the VR bandwagon.
But I'm trying to contain myself for atleast a finished product version of the oculus.

I'm also so close to order a new graphic card and the oculus. The experience must be awesome. But on the other hand, to wait for a final product, which might be around not that far away in the future, has also some advantages. So hard to wait and decide.....

Skipp
Master
Master
CMDR: Skipp Doe

Postby Skipp » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:55 am

the new GTX9xxx series is just a masterpiece of GPU hardware. The architecture is brand new and it uses way less energy to give you at least 40% boost (compared to other cards from the last generation) with no heat whatsoever.

I got the MSI GTX970 last week and it barely uses the coolers. Can't hear anything from it. I had the GTX770 that rand ED perfectly in all situations but the new GTX series have this thing called DSR (downsampling super resolution) where the GPU runs the game in a much higher resolution (for example 2x or 4x your native resolution), then it applies all the filters and FXAA and downscales it back to your monitor which makes the edges on the corners look perfectly smooth.

This is even more noticable in games with crap FXAA, and Elite is one of them. I have a 24'' monitor that runs in 1920x1200 and with all details maxed out and the best AA option enabled I have jagged lines - especially on the HUD. What I do now, is run the game at 3840x2400 and once the image gets downscaled to my native resolution everything looks amazing and even the station interior has no jagged lines what-so-ever.

So if you can get it - go for any of the new mid-high range GPUs from the 9xx line.
ImageImage

Return to “Hardware and Technical”