Community Support for the machines running the game
Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Anaglyph 3D

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:09 am

Anyone tried this? Have you got it working and is it worth it even if it's just to check it out but not for playing? Or does it work great even for playing?

I've really got an itch to see this game in 3D. I'm almost fooled by the 2D screen images at times, but at other times it all goes flat and I'd love to see a station just hanging there in the vacuum. I wasn't planning on it, but now I think I'm going to have to get an Oculus CV1 when they come out (if they are not too expensive). In the meantime, I wouldn't mind getting a taste of 3D using anaglyph glasses and my standard monitor. Even if it's just in the hanger and flying in and around the station for a few minutes it would be worth a few bucks for a pair of glasses.

But I can't find any clear spec about what is needed. Most of the articles and posts are from 1-3 years ago. I couldn't find anything on Frontier's Elite Dangerous website past Alpha that said to use red/cyan glasses. On the Frontier Forums website a moderator said to use red/green glasses. Most people say they are using red/blue, but others say you have to use red/green! Others say they can't get it to work well no matter what they try. I think maybe the red/blue was for an experimental mode in the early testing, and maybe the red/green is what you are supposed to use with the released game. Or is that vise versa? :P

So does anybody know the truth about using old fashioned anaglyph 3D glasses?

Thanks.
It's time to give this another go.

TomoRosso

Re: Anaglyph 3D

Postby TomoRosso » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:48 am

Yes I tried it a while back, I used red/cyan glasses. My experience was mixed. Using the in-game anaglyph 3D settings - there is quite a lot of ghosting especially on the things that would be close to you such as the HUD, info and chat panels. It also alters the colours of everything, if you have the default orange HUD it looks yellow instead. Stations. interior of stations, planets and stars did look good though. There are separation sliders that you can move to help reduce the ghosting, however this also reduces the sense of depth.

I found slightly better results using the anaglyph 3D settings in the nvidia control panel, there was a little less depth but hardly any ghosting, not sure if AMD Catalyst has a similar function. I may get some red/green glasses and try it again.

clivewil
Master
Master
CMDR: clivewil + clivus

Postby clivewil » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:56 am

I wouldn't mind getting a taste of 3D using anaglyph glasses and my standard monitor.

i have a set of nVidia 3D Vision 2 glasses but my monitor doesn't support 120Hz so i haven't seen them in action yet

the other day i found a set of red/cyan anaglyph glasses that came with an old old game called Magic Carpet, i might give those a try and see whether they work
-- Fly safely, shoot straight, kill quickly, land softly --

TomoRosso

Postby TomoRosso » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:49 am

I recently got a curved Samsung monitor, it has a "game mode" which gives E:D a slight faux 3D effect. There's not really any sense of depth to it but it certainly makes stations and the clouds/terrain on the planets look less flat. I've just ordered some magenta/green glasses from amazon so I will let you know if they are better than the red/cyan glasses tomorrow.

TomoRosso

Postby TomoRosso » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:05 am

OK - Iv'e tried the Anaglyph 3D with both types of glasses now and to summarise:-

Red/Cyan - Noticeable HUD/Text ghosting when using "in game" 3D settings - HUD colours change to yellow - Less ghosting with nvidia Anaglyph 3D enabled through nvidia control panel but also less depth.

Magenta/Green - Ghosting as bad if not worse than R/C glasses with "in-game" settings - HUD colour changes and there is a noticeable yellow hue to the whole game - less ghosting with nvidia anaglyph 3D but the yellow hue is still there, less depth.

If I had to choose the better of the two I would say red/cyan but both are very ....meh! But then again it's old skool 3D.

Avago-Earo
Master
Master
CMDR: AVAGO EARO

Postby Avago-Earo » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:21 am

I got anaglyph working pretty well on my 32" TV. The trick I found to reduce ghosting was to tape another cyan lens on as it was this Colour that was bleeding through. I also set colour to high and contrast and brightness settings were changed until it was 'just so'. Setting sharpness right down also helped reduce ghosting as it simply reduced the lines in Space Ports. I hope this helps.

I've also had some success with a home made Oculus. See my thread "Oculus Thrift" in General Discussions.

Hope you have some fun with your classes. I found the best in game 3D for me are : (Sliders) 3D Separation High and Focal Distance all the way down or a quarter in. Once you have the ghosting sorted you can take advantage of these settings. The settings above gave a surprising sense of scale. Adjust them hovering above the tower blocks at the Space Port and inside until you are happy with the feeling of being there. Then go to an Outpost and fly alongside the tower for further adjustments. The focal distance seems the most effective for me and really fools my nut into thinking that something on a TV screen is HUGE! It's to do with at what distance 3D is noticeable (parallax I think) as beyond a certain distance the rays from a light source become virtually parallel so appear flat like viewing tree and hills in the distance OK I'll shut up now.
"Wibble"

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:53 pm

Thanks, guys. for the clear reviews and tips.

I'm going to pick up some red/cyan glasses from Amazon, but I'm not paying for shipping. :roll:

smartroad
Master
Master
CMDR: Lase Mooray (PC) smartroad78 (XBOX)
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby smartroad » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:07 pm

I found that outside of the ships interior not much appeared in 3D with anaglyph glasses. It was like I was looking through the cockpit onto a flat surface (one that was about 8-10" behind my screen mind you :D)
Group Policy - The Order of Mobius General Orders

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Wed May 06, 2015 2:40 am

Got my 3D glasses today. From what I read here, I ordered two pair - just in case. First I tried the in-game settings. Then I tried the Nvidia settings. Overall impression is pretty disappointing, but it was very cool at times.

Using the ED settings, when I looked through the blue lens it looked good. When I looked through the red lens there was a significant blue shadow shifted to the right. I popped out the red lens on the second pair of glasses and taped them over the red lens on the first pair. This reduced the blue shadow about 90% but did not eliminate it. I experimented with the 3D depth slider and some things looked better at 25% and others at 75%. In either case, adjust the other slider (I don't remember the name, but it is marked experimental) until the images are aligned and there is minimal ghosting. Sometimes you need to adjust them both until you get a good alignment.

Using the debug camera, walking around the ship gave some good results. I never noticed before that the Vulture doesn't have a way in. Anyway, things were a little dark so I boosted up the gamma a bit. If the ship and landing pad looked okay, the rest of the station interior - not so much. Flying around outside the station, especially on the bright side, looked pretty cool. But turn toward a planet and the double vision is just terrible. I supercruised around a sun and it looked pretty bad, too. And with the gamma turned up, the stars look like they are painted on a wall 20 feet outside the cockpit. Turning down the gamma helps with the stars, and planets a bit, but it makes everything else too dark. Also, you can't see red or green, so that messes with your gameplay. One other thing was that I gained a good appreciation for the width of the Vulture's cockpit, and how far away the fuselage is from the canopy.

The Nvidia controls gave similar results. One odd thing was that when looking through the red lens, the blue shadow was shifted to the left, vs. shifted to the right for the ED controls. Also, when doubling up the red lenses, the the blue shadow disappeared. Regardless, the overall effect was about the same - maybe a fraction better for walking around your ship with the debug camera. Nvidia also had convergence controls that didn't seem to do anything.

It seems that a big problem, in both cases, is that doubling up the red lenses makes the red side darker than the blue side. It's like looking through sunglasses on only one eye. This is distracting and messes things up, and will probably lead to eyestrain over time. Also, looking through all that plastic gets a little blurry. So the problem appears to be mostly with the glasses themselves. If you can find a pair where the red color/frequency/whatever filters out all the blue, and vise versa, and they both pass the same amount of light, it would probably work pretty well.

So overall, it was fun while it lasted, but I think I've already had enough. It might be nice if Frontier could sell a proper pair of glasses that are calibrated to the game settings. The good news for me is I get to start experimenting with SLI tomorrow. :mrgreen:

Avago-Earo
Master
Master
CMDR: AVAGO EARO

Postby Avago-Earo » Wed May 06, 2015 11:46 am

Yeah I did that. On my previous post I said the Cyan lens but I meant the Red side. I don't know if Hue/Tint in the Nvidia panel (or AMD equivalent) would help things further.
"Wibble"

Return to “Hardware and Technical”