Community Support for the machines running the game
HAMM3R
Expert
Expert
CMDR: HAMM3R
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

This is how my X-55 button layout looks like

Postby HAMM3R » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:22 pm

These are the results of spending the good part of yesterday tinkering with the profiler trying to come up with at least remotely sensible layout. And of course I had to take advantage of the different modes to further complicate my gaming experience :P

It's still more or less WIP as I haven't thoroughly tested them in practice yet. Once up in the vacuum I'll probably notice things that are missing or not working in their current state.

Didn't feel like flooding the thread with gigantic images so here's thumbnail links.
Alternatively, you can click here for the actual library if you're not too keen on clicking through dem thumbnails.

MODE 1 - Docking
Image Image
Hardpoints and Prim./Sec. Fire are disabled here so I won't accidentally start shooting while entering a station or outpost. Obviously this shouldn't be switched on until inside the No-firing Zone :mrgreen: Also, the joystick's Witch Hat is empty because I had an idea at work what to bind in it but once I got home I had already forgotten what it was.

MODE 2 - Flight
Image Image

MODE 3 - Combat
Image Image
These are somewhat a shot in the dark but I hope to use this as little as possible :mrgreen:
Scooping fuel is very much like making love to a beautiful woman. First check the target is hot enough,
then approach slowly. Once close enough, pull out your scoop and fill her up. After you're done just
gently pull away, turn around and leave.

BarkingMad
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Barking Mad

Re: This is how my X-55 button layout looks like

Postby BarkingMad » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:22 am

Thanks for sharing. I haven't yet found the need to switch modes on my X52. I've got enough buttons as it is :)

Walter
Master
Master
CMDR: Walter Wall
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Walter » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:01 am

I've been looking at upgrading my T-Flight to something more complex, but have been put off a bit by the number of issues some have experienced: 'plug and pray' still seems to be the current operating mode, especially with Saitek sticks.
As yours is such a recent experience, would you mind giving us a bit more background - operating system, installation experience, etc?

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth

Postby Xebeth » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:49 pm

Walter wrote:I've been looking at upgrading my T-Flight to something more complex, but have been put off a bit by the number of issues some have experienced: 'plug and pray' still seems to be the current operating mode, especially with Saitek sticks.
As yours is such a recent experience, would you mind giving us a bit more background - operating system, installation experience, etc?

I got my X-55 this weekend, running under Windows7 64Bit didn't have any installation problems, drivers worked first time as did the configuration software.

ED recognises the X-55 and gives some defult binds (most of which I changed) and recognises all the axis and buttons. The configuration software takes a bit of fathoming out for programming, but I still managed to set one of the switches to request docking permission, the rest of the buttons, switches, etc I just set-up directly in ED.

The only issue I've had so far in 15-20 hours of play is the stiffness of the throttle, with apparently has something to do with the internal grease used (there are YouTube videos on the web on how to fix this), but I found that initially running the throttle back and forth a couple of dozen times sorted this out (if it starts to stiffen up I just run it back a forth a few times).

Apart from that no issues so far, how long that'll last we shall see.
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

HAMM3R
Expert
Expert

Postby HAMM3R » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:33 pm

Walter wrote:I've been looking at upgrading my T-Flight to something more complex, but have been put off a bit by the number of issues some have experienced: 'plug and pray' still seems to be the current operating mode, especially with Saitek sticks.

I'm running Win 7, 64-bit. Installation was indeed easy. Just run the driver installer, plug in the HOTAS when prompted, install profiler and you're good to go. Although I learned it doesn't like USB 3.0 ports. The throttle was hooked in one and it kept powering off and back on randomly. Switching to USB 2.0 fixed the issue.

The only gripe I have is this little wobbly "dead zone" in the joystick (see video below). Like something's loose inside. The game doesn't recognize any movement within the area. Eg. doing a roll from left to right the ship stops for a moment when the joystick is in center position before continuing the roll. It's especially noticable when maneuvering into a station/landing pad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-UXXhMDkgQ

I might have to send it back because I don't think it's suppose to do that.
Scooping fuel is very much like making love to a beautiful woman. First check the target is hot enough,
then approach slowly. Once close enough, pull out your scoop and fill her up. After you're done just

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth

Postby Xebeth » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:22 pm

HAMM3R wrote:

I'm running Win 7, 64-bit. Installation was indeed easy. Just run the driver installer, plug in the HOTAS when prompted, install profiler and you're good to go. Although I learned it doesn't like USB 3.0 ports. The throttle was hooked in one and it kept powering off and back on randomly. Switching to USB 2.0 fixed the issue.

The only gripe I have is this little wobbly "dead zone" in the joystick (see video below). Like something's loose inside. The game doesn't recognize any movement within the area. Eg. doing a roll from left to right the ship stops for a moment when the joystick is in center position before continuing the roll. It's especially noticable when maneuvering into a station/landing pad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-UXXhMDkgQ

I might have to send it back because I don't think it's suppose to do that.

Mine does that too, although I haven't seen any effect in game. IIRC I've also seen in mentioned in video reviews, so I think it's just part of the stick, I've had a number of different manufacturer's sticks over the years that do this.

However, if you are noticing an effect then it may be worth taking it up with the manufacturer.
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Walter
Master
Master
CMDR: Walter Wall

Postby Walter » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:49 am

Thanks, guys. Having spent far too long reading users' experience of other joysticks, I think I'll stick with my T-Flight/VoiceAttack/keyboard/mouse combination. The T-Flight has worked perfectly since an initial software/firmware reset cured an analogue/digital problem, it has no deadzones, works perfectly in Windows 8.1 and doesn't care if the socket is USB2 or USB3. Anyway, I probably wouldn't remember what all those buttons actually did.

HAMM3R
Expert
Expert

Postby HAMM3R » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:02 pm

Xebeth wrote:However, if you are noticing an effect then it may be worth taking it up with the manufacturer.

Well the strangest thing just happened. I have no idea what I did exactly but when I jumped into the game today that little 'nudge effect' didn't occure.

What I did is I tried different springs yesterday evening and fiddled with the profiler today. Maybe one of those (or both) did something. Either way, I'm keeping my fingers crossed it'll remain that way.

Sokonomi
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Sokonomi

Postby Sokonomi » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:56 pm

The way you have your power distribution would drive me bonkers, since im a hardcore beam user. ;)

Heres my layout;

On Throttle:
    SW1 : Select wingman 1.
    SW2 : Select wingman 2.
    SW3 : Select wingman 3.
    SW4 : Select wingmans Target.
    SW5 : Lights.
    SW6 : Landing gear.
    RTY 4 : Sensor range.
    RTY 3 : Cycle weapon groups
    TGL1 up : Galaxy map
    TGL1 dn : System map
    TGL2 up : Supercruise
    TGL2 dn : Hypercruise
    TGL3 up : Shield Cell
    TGL3 dn : Cargoscoop.
    TGL4 up : Silent mode.
    TGL4 dn : Eject cargo.
    Backbutton 1 : toggle headlook.
    Backbutton 2 : Switch throttle direction.
    Back rocker : Cycle subsystems.
    Pinky roller : Map zoom.
    Red Button : Booster
    Bottom HAT : UI control (moving tabs), also target cycling (L/R friendlies, U/D is enemies).
    Top HAT : Lateral thruster control.
    Mouse nipple : (stop snickering) headlook.
    Top Rotary : Rotate does nothing, press is controls hardpoints.
    Bottom Rotary: Rotate changes radar range, press controls landing gear.

On the stick:
    Witchhat HAT : Heatsink (U), Chaff (D), shieldcell (L), Unused (R)
    Cup HAT : Headlook.
    Castle HAT with Pinkybutton : Panel control
    Castle HAT w/o Pinkybutton : Power distribution control and also UI control.
    Top Red Button : Target highest threat.
    Side Red Button : Target closest to reticule.
    Index Trigger : duh (also UI select button)
    Thumb Trigger : secondary duh
    Pinky Trigger : Flight assist off while held

No need to use mode switches for me. Weapons dont deploy unless I explicitly push the button for them, so accidental fire wont happen unless I really furk up.

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Flip Martin

Postby Flip » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:51 pm

Xebeth wrote:The only issue I've had so far in 15-20 hours of play is the stiffness of the throttle, with apparently has something to do with the internal grease used (there are YouTube videos on the web on how to fix this), but I found that initially running the throttle back and forth a couple of dozen times sorted this out (if it starts to stiffen up I just run it back a forth a few times).

Yeah, apparently it happens when the grease is cold. When it gets warm, it becomes less sticky.
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty! ―Douglas Adams

Return to “Hardware and Technical”