Community Support for the game and it's features
GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Black screen

Postby GlobusDiablo » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:47 am

I can no longer access the game. When I press play from the launcher I get a black screen. Task manager lets me get out.

I so want to love this game, but FD really are fucking this up. This build is not even close to release status. God damn it... :cry:

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Re: Black screen

Postby GlobusDiablo » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:45 pm

Right. Fluke or not. If I turn on the screen before the pc, E: D will launch, but not if I turn the pc on before the screen.

This is not a hardware issue, as all other software works fine, except for E: D.

In lack of a better term, could it be a "hardware registry routine" that isn't working properly? I have no clue.

Niddi
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Aske
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby Niddi » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:38 pm

But the monitor works in Windows, no matter when you turn it on? Really strange. Have you tried verifying the game files (Option in the launcher)?

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:52 pm

Niddi wrote:But the monitor works in Windows, no matter when you turn it on? Really strange. Have you tried verifying the game files (Option in the launcher)?

Yeah tried that too.

Yes, both screens work (46 inch TV and 24 inch pc screen) all the time except for E: D (If I turn my pc on before the TV).

Walter
Master
Master
CMDR: Walter Wall

Postby Walter » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:56 pm

GlobusDiablo wrote:
Niddi wrote:Both screens work (46 inch TV and 24 inch pc screen) all the time except for E: D (If I turn my pc on before the TV).

I have a similar setup (but with more modest screens) and have no problems. It sounds like ED is having difficulty talking to your video output. It's an obvious and patronising question that you've probably asked yourself: are the drivers for your graphics card up to date?

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:26 pm

Walter wrote:
GlobusDiablo wrote:Both screens work (46 inch TV and 24 inch pc screen) all the time except for E: D (If I turn my pc on before the TV).

I have a similar setup (but with more modest screens) and have no problems. It sounds like ED is having difficulty talking to your video output. It's an obvious and patronising question that you've probably asked yourself: are the drivers for your graphics card up to date?

No problem. I don't consider it patronising. :)

Yes, all drivers are up to date. Keep in mind that the pc, and all other games on it function perfectly.

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:34 pm

Walter wrote:
GlobusDiablo wrote:Both screens work (46 inch TV and 24 inch pc screen) all the time except for E: D (If I turn my pc on before the TV).

It might be because I use the two different screens at different times? Sometime the one, sometimes the other, and sometimes both at the same time. Depends on my needs. And my wife. :)

The point is that I have never seen "black screen problem" on my pc until I booted up E: D. This would suggest that the problem is related to the E: D software, no?

Walter
Master
Master
CMDR: Walter Wall

Postby Walter » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:04 am

Computers are a bit like people: they start off much the same, but they grow up differently. This is the big problem facing developers because they can never tell what (rogue) software the OS has been exposed to, what software-specific drivers have been installed. Many of the early problems in Beta seem to have based on player environment. I'm not saying this is your problem, because I don't know enough and only the really easy problems can be resolved remotely.
It's like the old lady whose car was fine for the first ten minutes or so but then the engine would cough and splutter. Nobody at the garage could understand the problem because nobody could replicate the it. Finally the mechanic asked the lady to show him the problem by driving him round the block.
'Well first I pull out the handy hook,' said the lady as she got in, pulled out the choke and hung her handbag on it.
You may need to be of a certain age to understand that story.
So I have no idea what your problem is. It could be something simple or a complicated chain of cause and effect. I don't know why I'm putting my five eggs in, because you already know all this.
There is just one thing: you're the only player I know who has a screw loose.

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:26 am

Walter wrote:....There is just one thing: you're the only player I know who has a screw loose.

:shock:

:D

Well I can think of at least one more person Walter... ;)

I hear you though. Apparently I am one of few experiencing this problem, so it must be a combination of the E: D software and my pc setup.

I have a few things ticketed at FD, and my connection issues seem to have reasonably high priority. Heard from them recently about the connection issue, asking for dxdiag, MTU settings, and what not. I have no clue what it all means, but I did my best to comply.

Something that puzzled me, was that they said that they couldn't see my ethernet connection in the dxdiag. Which is odd, since it's an onboard Realtek component...

As the problem is random, it does make it even harder to pin down. I do still think it's related to some kind of hardware detection routine though, as none of my other games have this issue.

Edit: Completely forgot about my sig... Yes it's true.. :) .. Are all your bolts nice and tight though?...

2. Edit: Sorry. I'm mixing up different tickets here. I have random connection drop outs as well. Different story. Ah well. Cat's really out of the bag now init?... Nuts and bolts and screws eh?...

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:02 pm

Return to “Gameplay and Features”