KRRONOSS
Competent
Competent
CMDR: KRRONOSS
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

HOTAS set up & SRV

Postby KRRONOSS » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:47 am

Hi CMDRs,

I have a few questions I thought I might lump in one thread, if I may.

I use a Thrustmaster HOTAS & have seen a few set up configs, some of which don't seem to account for up & down thrusters (when flying). How do most people take off & land without these? Am I missing something (apart from auto dock)? The main one was in this video where their set up is displayed: https://youtu.be/WtD41MRibe4 but didn't show vertical thrust binding (maybe it's just not displayed??)

Also, I've just got Horizons and am having some trouble with driving the SRV. It wasn't auto config'd to the HOTAS so has caused me some driving issues lol. Any suggestions on how to bind to make it easier to drive?

Thx in advance. o7
Astronomy compels the soul to look upward, and leads us from this world to another.

Plato, The Republic, 342 BCE.

AJH
Competent
Competent
CMDR: AJH
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: HOTAS set up & SRV

Postby AJH » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:37 am

I don't know that specific controller's preset. But I know for my G940 a bunch of stuff on the SRV was messed up and it took a bit of re-configuring to get right. Specifically, the scanner was tied to the same thing as target in front and the throttle was backwards. Not sure if you'll have the same issues in your presets though since it's a different stick.

I'd recommend just setting your own bindings based on what you need it to do and what makes sense for you. It isn't too hard to do as long as you use the axis binds for your axis and push bindings for buttons.

KRRONOSS
Competent
Competent

Postby KRRONOSS » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:32 am

Thank you. Yes, I've been playing around with it a bit but still finding it hard to control the throttle (seems to want to go as fast as it can all the time) & steering (it keeps oversteering like crazy). Maybe I just need more practice, I've only been out for a spin once. :-p
Astronomy compels the soul to look upward, and leads us from this world to another.

de Carabas
Master
Master
CMDR: de Carabas

Postby de Carabas » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:50 am

KRRONOSS wrote:Thank you. Yes, I've been playing around with it a bit but still finding it hard to control the throttle (seems to want to go as fast as it can all the time) & steering (it keeps oversteering like crazy). Maybe I just need more practice, I've only been out for a spin once. :-p

Just to ask the potentially stupid question - you have bound your controls to the speed axis and not straight to the acceleration etc? A common problem that gives the on/off control rather than gradual.

Here's a bit of mine - Image
Rename your screen shots automatically! - Screen Shot Changer Visit MartianFire for more info.

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:52 am

Mine is setup very similarly to my ship controls. The joystick is left-right steering, throttle is full range (no throttle at center stick), thrusters operate the same as the do on the ship (up thrusters lifts the SRV just like it does when launching from the surface in the ship). I have the turret controls on the joystick too, with left-right and fore-aft on the stick, and rotate on the y-axis. Firing buttons are all set to the same as the ship.

If you keep everything as similar to your ship controls as possible, you'll have very few 'brain fart' moments. Trust me... I speak from experience. :roll:
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

KRRONOSS
Competent
Competent

Postby KRRONOSS » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:52 pm

de Carabas wrote:
KRRONOSS wrote:Thank you. Yes, I've been playing around with it a bit but still finding it hard to control the throttle (seems to want to go as fast as it can all the time) & steering (it keeps oversteering like crazy). Maybe I just need more practice, I've only been out for a spin once. :-p

Just to ask the potentially stupid question - you have bound your controls to the speed axis and not straight to the acceleration etc? A common problem that gives the on/off control rather than gradual.

Here's a bit of mine - Image

After working in education for a looooong time I've learnt that there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers. :D

SO, I didn't have that set and it makes perfect sense as it was going from zero - holy sh*t that's fast! :) I assume I just select that and set (move) my accelerator on my HOTAS to have it set to gradual?

KRRONOSS
Competent
Competent

Postby KRRONOSS » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:02 pm

JohnLuke wrote:Mine is setup very similarly to my ship controls. The joystick is left-right steering, throttle is full range (no throttle at center stick), thrusters operate the same as the do on the ship (up thrusters lifts the SRV just like it does when launching from the surface in the ship). I have the turret controls on the joystick too, with left-right and fore-aft on the stick, and rotate on the y-axis. Firing buttons are all set to the same as the ship.

If you keep everything as similar to your ship controls as possible, you'll have very few 'brain fart' moments. Trust me... I speak from experience. :roll:

Ha! Yes, my thoughts presactly. I am still finding that it turns too fast but maybe that is because I didn't have the throttle set correctly? I will test out these suggestions. Still a little unsure about the Turret but again, i'll test and see what happens.

I found this binding page for the Thrustmaster so have used this, mostly.

Thanks for the help guys.

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:08 pm

Regarding SRV & turret controls, I originally used my joystick with the same controls I used on my ship, with roll, pitch, and twist for turning. And the throttle set to full range and the booster button used for jump thrust. When it came to the turret, I tried using the secondary joystick on my throttle. In my ship I use that for vertical and lateral thrust, but I was using it to aim the turret. That worked fine for resource gathering and the datalink scanner. But when it came to trying to move and shoot at the same time, I kept getting the controls mess up and would drive around in circles. Partly that was due to the way the SRV hud schematic works backwards from what is natural (for me). So I changed the turret to use the main joystick for aiming, which makes it very easy to line up on flying skimmers and defense turrets. And since I'm usually not moving very fast, I have the SRV steering mapped to two buttons in turret mode and it's pretty easy to make gentle turns w/o spinning out. It's also a lot easier to keep track of where the SRV is pointing and where the turret is pointing.

Anyway, that's my experience and glean from it what you will. Also, I'd suggest a long, hard think about your control bindings. What do you need most? What feels natural? What can you live without? What can't be used with the same hand at the same time? I'm sure you can come up with something that works better for you than the default bindings, which I've found to be terrible.
It's time to give this another go.

KRRONOSS
Competent
Competent

Postby KRRONOSS » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:37 pm

OK, quick test done and....oh yeah, wow! So very cool. Makes a huge difference having the throttle set properly (I don't i feel like an ass at all lol!)

Here's a nice holiday snap of my 'ventures. :D

► Show Spoiler

Thanks guys, you're always a great help. I appreciate the advice as usual.

o7

KRRONOSS
Competent
Competent

Postby KRRONOSS » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:48 pm

Thanks Roger Wilco Jr - good advice. Still playing around with it now.

Which leads me to my next issue...when in the air and I use the joystick to roll, I seem to be out of control (i.e. it's like i have drive assist off but i don't - i just keep spinning). Anyway, can I reduce the sensitivity of this? I have done some damage to the SRV by landing on the roof from quite a height already. :/

Return to “Gameplay and Features”