Zantal
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Zantal
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

OK, so where to now?

Postby Zantal » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:55 pm

Howdy all,

I've been playing now for a little over a week. I'm starting to get comfortable with the UI and controls. I have a Cobra, and I'd guess that I am 1/3 to 1/2 of the way getting it upgraded. Since I like to do a little of everything, I anticipate flying the Cobra for a while.

I've done a little exploring, a little mining (not sure that I'll do any more), some trading (to even include a little smuggling), and a little bit of bounty hunting. Basically, I've done enough of each to "get a taste." I'm thinking about getting involved in a little PP, just for a light RP influence and to give me some general goals.

My question is this ... How do you folks go about picking out your "stomping grounds?" It doesn't appear that things scale as you move away from your starting area. Is there any science to establishing your playing area, or is just where you happen to be? I realize that this is a big sandbox, but is there any sort of progression that I am missing?

I know that when I get ready to go on a nice exploring roam, it'll be "Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning." I'm just not ready to do that yet.

Thanks for your time,

Z

Ps. Moderators - this looked like the logical sub forum for this question. Please feel free to move it if it belongs somewhere else.

Skipp
Master
Master
CMDR: Skipp Doe

Re: OK, so where to now?

Postby Skipp » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:05 pm

Apart from the type of instance you're dropping in - there is no "special" area to stomp around.

Most of the RES spawns are completely random and while someone might get millions in a single run, another player might just get bits and pieces from sidewinders and wanted eagles.

What I usually do is try to find a system that has a RES site and a good outfitting station so i can easily switch stuff around when needed.
ImageImage

clivewil
Master
Master
CMDR: clivewil + clivus

Postby clivewil » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:37 pm

for me, it was a matter of convenience - finding a system that had a station close to the jumping-in point, and a RES close to the station, and also having a black market and a decent outfitters at the station. it also helped if the chosen system wasn't too far away from the more populated areas

i really liked LHS 317 and LTT 3572, but i wore out my welcome with the local pirate clans in both systems and had to leave. i still go back there occasionally
-- Fly safely, shoot straight, kill quickly, land softly --

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby JohnLuke » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:07 pm

I faced the same dilemma when I was new at the game. I 'moved' a couple of times to be closer to the home base of an in-game friend that I frequently did wing hunting with. My most recent move was after pledging to Arissa L-D in power play. I just picked out a control system that had large population high tech or industrial stations (usually good for outfitting and shipyards), and some RES fairly close by. Oh yea... and not on the fringe of her controlled space, just in case another power takes it over. ;)

The cobra will serve you well for quite a while. I thoroughly enjoyed mine for trading, smuggling, bounty hunting, and generally causing trouble. It's a solid multi-roll ship. :twisted:

I started in E-D in Federation space, and spent several months there. When I pledged to Arissa and moved to Imperial space recently, I couldn't not believe how much more profitable the trade routes were. I am using the same resources to find routes that I used in Fed space and am... on average.... making 50-75% more profit per ton. Money buys upgrades and bigger ships, so that may be something to keep in mind.
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Xebeth » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:35 pm

It worth just bumbling around until you find a system that you like, be it because there is a good trade route, or decent bounty hunting, and staying there until you get bored with it, then moving on again.

It very much depends on what you like doing, but even then there is nothing to say you can't keep switching careers as the mood takes you.

There is no progression to speak of, so you are not missing out on anything in particular. If you happen to like a particular faction you can always work on your rank with them, as this will unlock some more ships for you later on.
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Zantal
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Zantal

Postby Zantal » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:42 am

Thanks all. I appreciate the info.

For what it's worth, I've settled down in Kremmain (sp?).

Fly safe.

Z

Return to “Gameplay and Features”