Community Support for the game and it's features
Soulmirror
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Soulmirror
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Where to start exploring?

Postby Soulmirror » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:59 pm

I have a Diamondback Explorer and I made a loop from Lembeva (40 jumps ) found forty stars...

I have looked at the guides and they are fuzzy on where to start.

Where is a good place to start exploring in system (colonized space)?

Is there a gateway system that leads to unexplored space or is it pick a direction and go?

Is there any truth to the rumor that some of the better clusters for exploration (neutron stars) are at 1000 / -1000 Z axis?

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Where to start exploring?

Postby Loriath » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:10 am

Pick a direction and go. That is the best way to start.

The best place to start from is where you are. No idea about the rumours of the clusters, but I have run into a few in my travels and one or two have my name on them.

When I went out I picked a direction and went till I found something interesting and then changed directions. I went on for about 15K ly in my trip total, and am heading back out soon in a Diamondback Explorer. Last time was a stripped Hauler and it performed very well. The DBE has a better jump range so it will be a little more capable.

Only suggestions I have: Get the BIGGEST scoop you can afford, Get the ADVANCED Scanner, and ALWAYS Zero throttle on the Jump Countdown.

Enjoy and have fun.
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

Philip Coutts
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Coutts

Postby Philip Coutts » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:12 am

I just picked a heading and went and I'm still going! Some folks set a target such as Sag A but it's been pretty popular. If you are looking for a quieter time head outwards away from the core

Primeh
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Primeh

Postby Primeh » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:56 pm

Pick a direction is go works best, but it depends what you want from exploring.

If you want to see cool stuffs. Head for nebula and such, or the galactic center.

If you are going for First-Explorer grabs then head out in an obscure direction. Don't head directly for the center if you choose to do that, as that would be the path most traveled. Go off course a little first. Also people never tend to think about going up or down on the galactic plane, so do that.

Feldspar
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Feldspar

Postby Feldspar » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:28 pm

Where to start? Wherever you are, there is no one system better than others. Pick something to head for, that way you have a target, nebulae are good for that because you have a landmark (spacemark?) you can see. Do not head straight to it, other people have done that, take a parallel course 50-100 LY off.

Generally, I pick a direction, find something within 1000 LY (usually a lot less) as my next destination, usually a bright star or odd stellar object, make my way there and then pick something else in the same direction. That way I know that even though nine out of ten stars on my route are class M's with only icy balls as friends there's something shiny eventually. Always write down your next destination as the game won't and if you log off you may never find it again.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:06 pm

I just started off from the coalsack nebula, a mere 500 or so ly out from the bubble, then just kept going.

Eventually I started noticing a couple of stars get more and more noticeable as went, didn't give much more thought but after another 1000ly they had separated into 4 or so distinct stars.
I decided to head for them.
Almost with every few hundred light years they would get a bit bigger, and after another thousand light years there was more of them as well.
Still had another two thousand or so light years before I actually got there and it turned out to be a field of white giants.

As for first time out you could try heading for barnard's loop, the flame nebula etc looks really cool, and yes it's a well visited nebula since it's just about one thousand light years away but it's also the most impressive one I have seen (it's actually four (I think) separate nebula's that look like one from our little bubble)

Take your time, never worry to much about destination and take lot's of pictures (cause the money is shit)
Last edited by TorTorden on Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Daniel Dakota
Expert
Expert
CMDR: DanDak

Postby Daniel Dakota » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:07 pm

If you want something not too far away (about 2500 Ly) try NG7822, quite a few O class stars and Black holes, it is a fairly popular location for Explorers though, Have a look on the Gal Map.

If you are thinking of Sag A* I'd suggest you take a dog leg route, up or down off the galactic plane and off to one side of the straight line route.

Above all have fun :)

IronDuke
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Iron Duke

Postby IronDuke » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:37 pm

Just pick a route an go, there is no right or wrong way. Perhaps, if you are starting out try a small training run to get used to the fundamentals and then build on that. I did exactly that, by undertaking a return trip from Azrael to the Witch Head Nebula. After that, I made some adjustments to my ship and headed off to Sag A* (off the beaten path). I'm halfway there now. In any case, good luck!
Distant Worlds Expedition 3302 | 65000 LY From SOL Club

Return to “Gameplay and Features”