Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Beta 2 first impressions

Postby GlobusDiablo » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:03 am

Hey Commanders

It seems very unstable, but here are my first comments:

1. Text and voice comms to anyone from anywhere. Nice.
Edit: But they don't work. I see 5 friends online from the main menu, but I can only contact 1.
2. Galactic map seems broke. I can't get it to work anyway.
3. New UI looks good I think.
4. All commodities markets seem down? Nothing worth transporting anywhere so far.

What are your findings?

Avago-Earo
Master
Master
CMDR: AVAGO EARO
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Beta 2 first impressions

Postby Avago-Earo » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:27 am

I'm not sure either. I couldn't get on line just a black screen with music. This was all over the main forum last night so I gave up.

On the training missions, in the first one 'docking', the game kept freezing for a good 5 seconds or so then returning to normal then freezing.

In the 'navigation' session I couldn't work out how to select the space port in the targets UI. It appeared on the next panel but I couldn't use my hat switch to move to it (T-Flight HOTAS), and could only go to the systems map but even there wasn't clear as to whether it had been selected or not. I had to select it as target ahead when I eventually got a reticule to get a lock.

It looks amazing although I'm unsure about the Christmas tree decoration style stars and the fat lasers but that's just my persona.
"Wibble"

Vikinger
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Vulcor

Postby Vikinger » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:15 am

Lots of changes in this release. Feels like a complete different game.

But ive not faced any serious bugs and everything runs smooth for me.

A bit difficult to find good trade routes and some stations that list commodities as major exports are not available.
I simply cant find any fish to buy LoL

Its easier to make credits on missions. I had one missions to deliver 3 cargo and I got 11k as reward :)

Overall I enjoy it but il guess it take some time to get used to this new build :)

Neillm
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Zachus

Postby Neillm » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:20 am

You've got to love lines like this in the patch notes:

- Geological activity is now broken down into several aspects(plate tectonics, volcanism, mountain forming and magnetic field), these values are Earth relative
- Atmospheres now have a composition included and will calculate the surface temperature of planets based on the greenhouse effect of a particular atmosphere

Now that's attention to detail!

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:01 am

Vikinger wrote:Lots of changes in this release. Feels like a complete different game.....

I agree. Is it me, or has the overall combat/handling balancing been tweeked towards something easier. Somehow playing the tutorials gave me a more "arkadey" feel than I'm used to.

And FA-Off dwindles your speed back down again now. Good or bad? Don't know... :)

Neillm
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Zachus

Postby Neillm » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:07 am

This is an interesting read about the changes to the flight model and the reasons behind it...

http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=44057

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:15 am

Neillm wrote:This is an interesting read about the changes to the flight model and the reasons behind it...

http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=44057

Cheers Neill.

Silverwolf
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Silverwolf

Postby Silverwolf » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:42 am

Massively impressed with the scale of changes for Beta 2.

My favourite changes are being able to sell your exploration data and the bigger space to explore.

Really this game is shaping up now.

Vikinger
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Vulcor

Postby Vikinger » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:05 am

And using thrusters slow your ship down a lot. Noticed that when I was about to flee from an interdiction and did evasive manoeuvres.

RogueZephyr
Expert
Expert
CMDR: ValTomiana

Postby RogueZephyr » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:11 am

Avago-Earo wrote:I'm not sure either. I couldn't get on line just a black screen with music. This was all over the main forum last night so I gave up.

On the training missions, in the first one 'docking', the game kept freezing for a good 5 seconds or so then returning to normal then freezing.

In the 'navigation' session I couldn't work out how to select the space port in the targets UI. It appeared on the next panel but I couldn't use my hat switch to move to it (T-Flight HOTAS), and could only go to the systems map but even there wasn't clear as to whether it had been selected or not. I had to select it as target ahead when I eventually got a reticule to get a lock.

It looks amazing although I'm unsure about the Christmas tree decoration style stars and the fat lasers but that's just my persona.

They are bringing out 2.01 at some point today. Hopefully it will fix the black screen problems.
-I fly the ocean black, and my little ship goes warp 10-
-Theres nothing that we lack (unless theres something we've forgotten)-

Return to “Gameplay and Features”