Community Support for the game and it's features
TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: HOTAS set up & SRV

Postby TorTorden » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:52 pm

Hehe I actually twitched my very first landing in horizons beta.

Basically it was me crashing a vulture into a moon. Followed by me fiddling with srv control settings and crashing into my own ship for 40 minutes..

Luckily nobody follow me on twitch ;)

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:14 pm

KRRONOSS wrote:Thanks Roger Wilco Jr - good advice. Still playing around with it now.

Which leads me to my next issue...when in the air and I use the joystick to roll, I seem to be out of control (i.e. it's like i have drive assist off but i don't - i just keep spinning). Anyway, can I reduce the sensitivity of this? I have done some damage to the SRV by landing on the roof from quite a height already. :/

This was intended. When the buggy goes airborne it has no flight assist so the trick is to just manage.

Don't sweat hull damage, just driving across somewhat hilly terrain will do this. No crashing or tumbling needed. Hull can be repaired instantly using synthesis or by entering exiting your ship, but it doesn't really matter. The buggy is replaced in any station with munitions restock and cost just about 1000cr.

Shooting a plasma gun or missiles costs more.
Dying in a buggy has no real consequence either. You don't loose exploration data, bounties or anything. You just pop back into your ship in orbit around the same planet.

Also.
The drive assist is just useless it's more like cruise control and if you have a HOTAS you do not need it, it might be usefull for keyboard players but that's really it.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

KRRONOSS
Competent
Competent
CMDR: KRRONOSS

Postby KRRONOSS » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:29 pm

Thx TorTorden - that gave me quite a laugh (and made me feel better!) :D

I was wondering about those very points you raise though so thank you for clearing that up. Got me to thinkin...I have a bay with two buggy's, shouldn't it just put me in the second one if the first's integrity gets reduced to zero??

All in all, I am liking the whole land on the planet, cruise around in the buggy and then recall the ship (especially with ASTRA it seems so much cooler). :)

Now to start the inevitable grind for Engineers upgrades!
Astronomy compels the soul to look upward, and leads us from this world to another.

Plato, The Republic, 342 BCE.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:54 pm

No. You still end up in ship but you can just swoop back down to planet and redeploy without having to replace the buggy.

Driving is still finicky and often you will spin out (well I do) for what feels like no real reason.
Given a bit of practice you can often keep speeds of 35-40 on fairly even terrain.
Just as a frame of reference 100kph ( 62mph) is just under 28m/s. so top speed of the buggy is approximately 145kph (89mph)

In short the buggy is actually quite fast. And since taking risks in one is practically none my favourite activity I Elite these days is the equivalent of going "hey hold my beer, I think I can jump that."

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:14 pm

Here are a couple tips for the SRV:

If you find yourself kind of out-of-control, use your parking brake. It generally glues you to the ground, even if you are tumbling down a hill.

If you over boosted and see you are going to have a hard landing, try to land, just slightly, on your front tires. If you pancake, you will often take a bit of hull damage. But I've found that if I land on my front tires, the suspension slows you down and you often avoid damage.

YMMV. ;)

Also, you will probably find this tool, created by jgm, very handy.
It's time to give this another go.

KRRONOSS
Competent
Competent

Postby KRRONOSS » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:35 pm

TorTorden wrote:No. You still end up in ship but you can just swoop back down to planet and redeploy without having to replace the buggy.

Driving is still finicky and often you will spin out (well I do) for what feels like no real reason.
Given a bit of practice you can often keep speeds of 35-40 on fairly even terrain.
Just as a frame of reference 100kph ( 62mph) is just under 28m/s. so top speed of the buggy is approximately 145kph (89mph)

In short the buggy is actually quite fast. And since taking risks in one is practically none my favourite activity I Elite these days is the equivalent of going "hey hold my beer, I think I can jump that."

Bahahaha! Maybe the wife can hold the beer for me...

Thanks for converting to km's/hr :)

EDIT - so it's pointless buying more than one buggy? Does this mean it's also pointless have a bay that holds more than one (for now)??
Last edited by KRRONOSS on Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Astronomy compels the soul to look upward, and leads us from this world to another.

KRRONOSS
Competent
Competent

Postby KRRONOSS » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:37 pm

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:Here are a couple tips for the SRV:

If you find yourself kind of out-of-control, use your parking brake. It generally glues you to the ground, even if you are tumbling down a hill.

If you over boosted and see you are going to have a hard landing, try to land, just slightly, on your front tires. If you pancake, you will often take a bit of hull damage. But I've found that if I land on my front tires, the suspension slows you down and you often avoid damage.

YMMV. ;)

Also, you will probably find this tool, created by jgm, very handy.

Nice! Thx!

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:07 am

KRRONOSS wrote:EDIT - so it's pointless buying more than one buggy? Does this mean it's also pointless have a bay that holds more than one (for now)??

Depends how far you are going and how careful you want to be.

Personally if I go exploring (by which I mean I probably wouldn't see a station for the next 10 000++ ly's, I bring at least 4, maybe 6 if I can (depending on ship to of course) but if you are puttering around in the bubble then no, anything more than a single buggy is probably superflous.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

smartroad
Master
Master
CMDR: Lase Mooray (PC) smartroad78 (XBOX)
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby smartroad » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:18 am

Just as a thought does anyone remember the site that someone setup where you can upload your controller file and it shows you a picture of you joystick and how the controls are bound? Could be useful here to visually share :)
Group Policy - The Order of Mobius General Orders

de Carabas
Master
Master
CMDR: de Carabas
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby de Carabas » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:39 am

smartroad wrote:Just as a thought does anyone remember the site that someone setup where you can upload your controller file and it shows you a picture of you joystick and how the controls are bound? Could be useful here to visually share :)

Isn't that the link above from Roger Wilco Jr? https://www.mcdee.net/elite/
Rename your screen shots automatically! - Screen Shot Changer Visit MartianFire for more info.

Return to “Gameplay and Features”