Community Support for the game and it's features
TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Stupid Questions from a Tired Dope

Postby TorTorden » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:32 pm

Think the previous/next hostile was added in the horizons release.

As for target ahead acting as a toggle. In my experience sometimes it does and most times it does not.
So it's nothing I can rely on.
And in combat particularly if there is anything else in your view then it will definitely select that instead.

So using it in res's to deselect a target can more times than not mean I target a clean npc, the gimbals then hit that and we all know how that goes..

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

CMDR Abil Midena
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Abil Midena

Postby CMDR Abil Midena » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:07 pm

It took me a second to figure out why I never had this come up. I am also out about 5000 LY, so I was trying to remember. It's because I use Track IR and target ahead. When I want to deselect a target, I just look off and hit target ahead, and it deselects.

I know that doesn't really help you, but maybe a head tracking device is a solution...also great for immersion.
My Youtube Channel
Elite - Elite - Elite

clivewil
Master
Master
CMDR: clivewil + clivus

Postby clivewil » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:11 pm

Loriath wrote:If I have a target selected (Say cycling through ships in SC to check for Police Ships), Not hostile, Next/Previous Hostile will unlock current target to nothing.

i have all of those binds, i guess it's mainly just an unusual situation in a RES where i'd want to use Select None - having no target selected shows me the RES info with my distance from it, without me having to turn and look at it (the RES hud marker) and i am constantly checking that as i fight

so if i've just begun a fight with a wing of Eagles and then notice a juicy Fer de Lance or Anaconda entering the scene, i'll want to stay near the RES centre so i have a better chance of picking up the FdL after finishing with the Eagles.

i can deselect my hostile target by toggling it off just like Black Rose said, but if there's the inevitable Asp spewing rock chunks in my view then it'll select that instead, usually a mineral. Next Ship would just select the Asp. Next Hostile would give me an Eagle, etc. - in that situation, the only function that gives me a guaranteed nothing is Target Ahead toggled off in clear space

anyhow, lack of that particular function hasn't killed me yet, i'd just like the convenience of having it. many times i have selected a mineral chunk instead of seeing my RES distance
-- Fly safely, shoot straight, kill quickly, land softly --

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:04 pm

CMDR Abil Midena wrote:It took me a second to figure out why I never had this come up. I am also out about 5000 LY, so I was trying to remember. It's because I use Track IR and target ahead. When I want to deselect a target, I just look off and hit target ahead, and it deselects.

I know that doesn't really help you, but maybe a head tracking device is a solution...also great for immersion.

I have TrackIR and that's how it works in space - point/look away and select nothing. But parked on a planet, in a ship, it isn't working.

And btw, they have had since release:
select target ahead
cycle next ship
cycle previous ship
select nearest hostile
cycle next hostile
cycle previous hostile
It's time to give this another go.

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:14 pm

OK, after a quick test, the target ahead (T) key and button do act as a toggle when in your ship (not parked on a planet). I don't know why I couldn't remember that. But once on the ground, none of the targeting commands, either keys or buttons, work at all, and I don't see any additional key bindings.

But the tab key does work well to cycle to local in comms, and that really solves the problem I was having.

***Edit***
Actually the tab key works, but each time you open comms it defaults to your target, so you have to remember to keep hitting tab for the local chat. I've found selecting a fragment in the contacts panels works - I guess you can't communicate with them. :D

Nethaufer
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Nethaufer

Postby Nethaufer » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:04 pm

Usually what I do to deselect a target is go into my nav panel, lock onto a planet or star or whatever and then immediately unlock from it. This will always clear your target, in my experience. As for the icing up, that's just a neat little graphical feature to add a little something extra in the game. Although it's a bit strange that your ship can get cold enough for the condensation to freeze, while the heat sinks on the outside of your ship are still glowing hot.

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:58 pm

I tested about the icing. Each time you turn off a module your ship temp drops 1 or 2%. What I did was turn them all off so the AFMU didn't kill my PP (I probably didn't have to since thrusters were already off on the ground) so the temp just dropped enough to start icing up. I'd just never turned off all my modules before.

I'll try the nav panel star/planet selection trick.

***edit***
Posted this in the suggestions forum.

Nethaufer
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Nethaufer

Postby Nethaufer » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:35 am

The icing also happens when you use a heat sink, mainly because you drop past the threshold.

Black Rose

Postby Black Rose » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:54 pm

The top of the joystick has the HAT in the middle for selecting pips to the various ship capacitors.

Top left of that is Shield Cell Bank
Bottom Left is target ahead
Top Right changes weapons group
Bottom right drops chaff

Base of the joystick there are six buttons
Nearest to me top moves up the target sub system list
Bottom moves back through the list.

I moved it from the KB so I didn't have to take my eyes off the combat to hit the right keys

Next row bottom deploys or retracts weapons

Arrow keys control throttle presets:
Up arrow = 100% power
Left Arrow = 75%
Down arrow = 50%
Right arrow = 25%

Makes it allot easier to control speed in combat as well as docking and station approaches.

Z key controls reverse thrust, hold it to back up and release it to auto engage forward thrust again.

Return to “Gameplay and Features”