Community Support for the game and it's features
Silverwolf
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Silverwolf
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Beta 2 first impressions

Postby Silverwolf » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:37 am

It must be hard when certain effects are not tolerable so i understand. At the very least they could offer options to turn certain problem effects off.

I wonder when they get there server connections working better as I think I shall wait untill then before trying again.

DeckardRunner
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Liet Kynes

Postby DeckardRunner » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:41 am

I was on Beta 2.02 last night for about an hour.

Took about 3 or 4 attempts to get passed the "cannot connect to server" issue even after it said I was online.

My gfx card is only a 580m so had to detune from max settings as you would expect.
The outpost looked a little washed out as if flat shaded, but away from that, watching the sun rise over the planet was ferkin awesome, it created the classic horizon glow just as it crested.

Combat over the planet a short distance below was incredible, even though I did get my ass shot off. The station in the starting system looked crisper, more detailed. I had to turn the brightness and gamma down a bit for the hud, but it looked better. Gravity wells around bodies are now shown which adds an extra touch of 'realism'.

Overall - Impressed by the updated graphics, transitions are more fluid and the feel is better. Aside from the connection issues and the fact I have to end task the darn client when I quit (a common problem in this beta) it's looking better and is only going to get better.
[url="http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=38362"]Image[/url]

Avago-Earo
Master
Master
CMDR: AVAGO EARO

Postby Avago-Earo » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:15 am

Silverwolf wrote:It must be hard when certain effects are not tolerable so i understand. At the very least they could offer options to turn certain problem effects off.

I wonder when they get there server connections working better as I think I shall wait untill then before trying again.

As far as I can make out quite a number of people are experiencing the same (from reading the other forum). On the basis of the dev's attention to detail so far I can't imagine they'd ignore this and leave those people unable to play so I think they will come up with some sort of solution. It just wouldn't be fair otherwise.
"Wibble"

Silverwolf
Competent
Competent

Postby Silverwolf » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:53 pm

Tried 2.02 and Stuck in main menu.
Cannot select any of the options, not even the tutorials.

Turjan
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Turjan

Postby Turjan » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:48 pm

Avago-Earo wrote:As far as I can make out quite a number of people are experiencing the same (from reading the other forum). On the basis of the dev's attention to detail so far I can't imagine they'd ignore this and leave those people unable to play so I think they will come up with some sort of solution. It just wouldn't be fair otherwise.

Indeed they haven't been ignoring it, and have in fact hopped on the case quicker than devs in any other game I've played! After a bit of messaging back and forth, the man himself, Michael Brookes, sent me this assurance :-

"We'll add an option to disable the transition in a future update and tone down the effect itself."

So that makes me happier :)

Neillm
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Zachus

Postby Neillm » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:54 pm

Turjan wrote:
Avago-Earo wrote:As far as I can make out quite a number of people are experiencing the same (from reading the other forum). On the basis of the dev's attention to detail so far I can't imagine they'd ignore this and leave those people unable to play so I think they will come up with some sort of solution. It just wouldn't be fair otherwise.

Indeed they haven't been ignoring it, and have in fact hopped on the case quicker than devs in any other game I've played! After a bit of messaging back and forth, the man himself, Michael Brookes, sent me this assurance :-

"We'll add an option to disable the transition in a future update and tone down the effect itself."

So that makes me happier :)

This is good news. While not having the negative issues with migraines, it's very unpleasant to look at. I also noticed that if I have the washed out cockpit and go into the Galaxy map, it goes really dark when I come out of the map screen. Need to ticket that, just in case.

Silverwolf
Competent
Competent

Postby Silverwolf » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:35 pm

Got to play a bit again, a little text COMS with flip and it is better to connect.
But quite a lot of disconnect, at least i can play a bit so it is an improvement since yesterday.

And I will say again it looks fab.

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby GlobusDiablo » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:22 pm

Had a good hours play in 2.03

Beautiful. And practically glitch free. I even managed to quit game without the task manager.

Got myself a little Hauler now. Just flying around, where the missions take me.

Turned the dashboard brightness down quite a bit.

Still can't text all the friends that I can see are online from the main menu. Only a 2 or 3.

Overall, I'm very pleased. It's all coming together very nicely.

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Flip Martin

Postby Flip » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:52 pm

Silverwolf wrote:Got to play a bit again, a little text COMS with flip and it is better to connect.
But quite a lot of disconnect, at least i can play a bit so it is an improvement since yesterday.

And I will say again it looks fab.

Yeah, quite a lot of disconnects. I don't know what they've done to the netcode, but it was perfect in b1 and now it seems completely fucked up.

BTW, sorry if I appeared to leave the chat session abruptly or if I failed to answer, but I tried to load the game again and it crashed on me and wouldn't restart until I downloaded the launcher again. :x
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty! ―Douglas Adams

christoff
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Christoff

Postby christoff » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:30 pm

Well Ive had a most enjoyable couple of hours in the game tonight. Everything running really well, and even managed to make 20k in my trusty ol sidy :)

Game looks really gorgeous, even members of my family have commented on how good it looks :shock:

Felt a bit fed up with it all last night, and thought i would be back on the racing sims for a while, but what a difference 24 hours make.

A happy Commander tonight! :D
[url="http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=38362"]Image[/url]

Return to “Gameplay and Features”