Community Support for the game and it's features
Philip Coutts
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Coutts
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Getting a new ship

Postby Philip Coutts » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:33 am

HAMM3R wrote:So I went ahead and bought the Hauler. And now I'm completely paranoid getting out of the stations, jumping even at my own shadow, lol!

And of course, now I can't seem to find anything even remotely profitable to haul :(

Where about are you trading at present? If you let us know maybe someone knows a nice trade route close by. Also there are plenty of tools out there to find good trade routes. The Hauler is a brilliant introduction to trading, good luck

M. Kowalsky
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Matt Kowalsky

Postby M. Kowalsky » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:36 am

HAMM3R wrote:So I went ahead and bought the Hauler. And now I'm completely paranoid getting out of the stations, jumping even at my own shadow, lol!

And of course, now I can't seem to find anything even remotely profitable to haul :(

Out of interest since I'm probably not too far behind you, how much funds did you have when you decided to trade-in your sidewinder?

HAMM3R
Expert
Expert
CMDR: HAMM3R

Postby HAMM3R » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:58 am

Philip Coutts wrote:Where about are you trading at present? If you let us know maybe someone knows a nice trade route close by. Also there are plenty of tools out there to find good trade routes. The Hauler is a brilliant introduction to trading, good luck

I've been shuttling back and forth these systems (Alrai Sector) recently:
They have pretty decent trade routes between them. Too bad it's all more or less the cheap stuff. Well, Eleu has rares, but I'm not sure how far I should go with them to make any notable profit. 15ly was a bust, lol! And so far all the bulletin boards' cargo missions have been small time gigs.

Yeah, I'm actually using Artie's Inara with the help of Overwolf. Quite handy to say the least.

M. Kowalsky wrote:Out of interest since I'm probably not too far behind you, how much funds did you have when you decided to trade-in your sidewinder?

I had 120K. But I kept the little bastard. I tricked the Hauler a little for better jump range and ditched the discovery scanner for extra cargo space. So after the purchase and outfitting I was left about 50K credits.
Scooping fuel is very much like making love to a beautiful woman. First check the target is hot enough,
then approach slowly. Once close enough, pull out your scoop and fill her up. After you're done just
gently pull away, turn around and leave.

Philip Coutts
Expert
Expert

Postby Philip Coutts » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:02 pm

Hmm, don't recognise the area but someone else might. For rares you really need to travel a long way for them to make money, somewhere around 150 light years in fact! There are a few threads about on rares that can lead you where to go as there are basically 2 clusters of rare producing systems about 150 light years apart. Other than that you could try some of the trading tools, hold on I'll get a link, be right back...

Okay on this board there is Inara : viewtopic.php?f=20&t=491

From the Frontier main forum there is Slopeys: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthrea ... ht=Thrudds

And there is the prosaically titled Thrudds: http://www.elitetradingtool.co.uk/

There are a lot more out there as well but have a look and see if any of those help you out!

HAMM3R
Expert
Expert

Postby HAMM3R » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:08 pm

Philip Coutts wrote:Hmm, don't recognise the area but someone else might.

It's about 79ly from Eravate (where I started) towards and up the galactic core.
Scooping fuel is very much like making love to a beautiful woman. First check the target is hot enough,
then approach slowly. Once close enough, pull out your scoop and fill her up. After you're done just

HAMM3R
Expert
Expert

Postby HAMM3R » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:13 pm

Guess you missed it in my initial reply:

HAMM3R wrote:Yeah, I'm actually using Artie's Inara with the help of Overwolf. Quite handy to say the least.

:mrgreen:

I've also tried Slopeys. But I'll take a look at the others as well. Cheers for the links!

Philip Coutts
Expert
Expert

Postby Philip Coutts » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:28 pm

He he, I really should learn to read properly :oops: ! Ultimately if you aren't making as much money as you would like move to a different area or have a go at rare trading.

Malphator
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Malphator

Postby Malphator » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:07 pm

The B.Board missions are hit & miss a lot of the time. One moment there's so many delivery missions it's silly, the next moment, all combat missions. And so few of them really pay out in a way that's worth your time. The delivery and pick-up missions, that is. Not necessarily the combat ones. haha. Mostly, they're better for building your rep than your wallet. That was my impression, anyway.

As of others have already said, and you yourself already mentioned using... Yeah. Trade tools. I found my current high-profit route just by clicking through nearby stars in Inara at the bottom of the market page. High tech systems are usually good for high-profit round trip routes. Tech commodities out to industrial systems, metals and minerals back in, based on local supply and demand. That's what has been working for me so far, at least.

HAMM3R
Expert
Expert

Postby HAMM3R » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:25 pm

There are indeed Hi-techs, Indus, Agris and Refineries available for round trips but seems the routes have been milked pretty dry. Not much demand one way or the other. I should definitely change the scene but I'm not sure which way to go. This place seems a bit of a dead end-ish. Lot of unpopulated systems around me if going forward towards the core. Then again, might as well back track to see what I possibly missed while cruising by systems.

As I mentioned in the in the 'what are you doing now in game' topic, there's some cheap-a** slaves where I'm docked atm but no place to sell anywhere near. Couple of black markets are close by but I don't know about their demand and if I can get my boat through the mail slot fast enough (only to find out they don't need 'em :D)

Malphator
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Malphator

Postby Malphator » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:38 pm

HAMM3R wrote:There are indeed Hi-techs, Indus, Agris and Refineries available for round trips but seems the routes have been milked pretty dry. Not much demand one way or the other. I should definitely change the scene but I'm not sure which way to go. This place seems a bit of a dead end-ish. Lot of unpopulated systems around me if going forward towards the core. Then again, might as well back track to see what I possibly missed while cruising by systems.

As I mentioned in the in the 'what are you doing now in game' topic, there's some cheap-a** slaves where I'm docked atm but no place to sell anywhere near. Couple of black markets are close by but I don't know about their demand and if I can get my boat through the mail slot fast enough (only to find out they don't need 'em :D)

I know that the 'starting system' when you first start playing is variable, but they all seem to be in the same general area of Federation space. Some people might start off in the Empire, I can't know. No one I know that has started playing recently has mentioned it! - Either way. Yeah. I can only imagine that that area is pretty dry these days, thanks to all the trading in Open, Groups, and Solo contributing. - Or I could be completely wrong. That's also possible. lol. But it makes some semblance of sense, to me, at least.

One thing to consider is that the in game factions exist in a spacial column around the Sol area. In the middle, actually near and around Sol, is Federation space. Up above that you have the Alliance, and down below the Feds is Empire space. Instead of seeking to go 'out' into space to look for better routes, try going UP or DOWN instead!

Return to “Gameplay and Features”