Who should be able to see 'General News and Orders' ?

Discussion about the Order of Mobius faction in Elite: Dangerous

Who should be able to see 'General News and Orders'?

Poll ended at Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:55 pm

Everyone (i.e. those not logged in)
14%
Only those logged in to the main forum
52%
Only those logged in to the main forum and have 'joined' the Order (i.e have clicked the extra button and can see Internal Affairs)
33%

Total votes: 21

TomoRosso

Re: Who should be able to see 'General News and Orders' ?

Postby TomoRosso » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:03 am

Other - Pfffffffft bothered.

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Xebeth » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:51 pm

Walter wrote:
Walter wrote:. . . what's this: "Only those logged in to the main forum and have 'joined' the Order (i.e have clicked the extra button and can see Internal Affairs"'?

I'm still not sure what this means, but perhaps I've not been paying enough attention. Let me try and explain it as I see it (for my benefit as much as any newcomer who may find it confusing).

There are three levels of information:

1 The open forum that anyone can read and that can be searched for in any well-known browser.

2 There is the private forum that only commanders who have signed up to become members of Mobius Group play and this forum can see by logging in. Here they get access to Secret Discussions on how to react to the situation in Azrael and environs.

3 There is the even more private forum for those who have reached Level 2 and who have pressed a certain Extra Button and additionally become members of the Order of Mobius. These commanders get access to Even More Secret Discussions on how to react to the situation in Azrael and environs.

Not to forget the fourth level of this trilogy:
4 Information on the Inara website.

I can't help feeling that either Level 2 or Level 3 is redundant. If you're not an Order of Mobius joiner - like Kharma and me and probably Loriath and others - Level 2 is the only source of information, advice and a place to share experiences. But again, I've probably not been paying enough attention.

I also can't help the uncanny feeling of déjà vu.

So this has been discussed before at some length here, and the decision was that the Internal Affairs sub-forum would be left behind ad extra click, there is no restriction on who can do that, so I don't see any point going over that again.

Putting level 3 to one side for the moment, the question is really just should people need to be logged into the forum to see orders? So in scenario 2 yourself, Kharma and the like would be able to see what you can see today, but anyone not logged into the main forum wouldn't.

So this poll is in response to concerns raised
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Walter
Master
Master
CMDR: Walter Wall

Postby Walter » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:58 pm

With all due respect, you can't put Level 3 on one side: it's part of the poll that I find a little unclear.

And I don't think I'm alone in finding the explanations a little opaque.

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth

Postby Xebeth » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:13 pm

Walter wrote:With all due respect, you can't put Level 3 on one side: it's part of the poll that I find a little unclear.

And I don't think I'm alone in finding the explanations a little opaque.

It was only for the sake of the explanation.

Level 3 refers to the Internal Affairs sub-sub-forum. In the Order of Mobius sub-forum there are three areas - Internal Affairs, General Assembly, and Diplomatic Affairs.

General Assembly and Diplomatic Affairs can be read my anybody regardless of whether they have logged into the main (Elite Dangerous: PVE) forum or not.

Internal Affairs can only be read by people who are logged into the main forum and have added The Order of Mobius to their user groups via the User Control Panel. Anyone can add The Order of Mobius to their user groups, there are no restriction or checks on doing this. This is what is generally referred to as 'joining' the Order, but in reality just means another click.

As it is today there is no part of the Order of Mobius forum that falls into level 2, this would be my preference, you need to log into the main forum to see it, but it is hidden from non-logged in people, bots and the like. There whole Order section would not be hidden, just the bit with the orders.

So to clarify the poll

Option 1 - General News and Orders can be seen by people not logged into the Elite Dangerous: PVE forum, they can also be seen by Bots, Spiders and other internet search thingies.

Option 2 - General News and Orders can only be seen by people who have logged into the Elite Dangerous: PVE forum. You do not need to have added the Order to your user groups.

Option 3 - General News and Orders can only be seen by people who have logged into the Elite Dangerous: PVE forum and have added The Order of Mobius to their user groups via the User Control Panel.

Sorry it wasn't clear to start with.

If Option 2 turns out to be the preference then I will ask for a forth section to be added to the sub-forum that will only be visible to people logged into the main Elite Dangerous: PVE forum
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Feldspar
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Feldspar
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby Feldspar » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:21 pm

Where's the everyone but Kharma option? :P

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:38 pm

Having this behind a login wall is utterly moronic and invalidates the entire thread's purpose in the first place.

This isn't eve why be paranoid about it ?

Consider them marching orders, not the executive discussion.
In fact the thread should have been locked the second it was created and updated by a mod on a weekly basis as power/bgs ticks over on Thursday morning. That's it no back and forth or nothing just the updated first post.
I thought this would be glaringly obvious but then again I guess this is noob hour.

"The greatest argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Walter
Master
Master

Postby Walter » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:46 pm

TorTorden wrote:"The greatest argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

But democracy is the least worst of the options available.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:01 pm

Walter wrote:
TorTorden wrote:"The greatest argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

But democracy is the least worst of the options available.

Well I haven't made overlord of all humanity yet ;)

Anyhoo I just had a beer on no breakfast or lunch.
I tend to get honest when that happens.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Walter
Master
Master

Postby Walter » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:06 pm

Xebeth wrote:
Walter wrote:Option 1 - General News and Orders can be seen by people not logged into the Elite Dangerous: PVE forum, they can also be seen by Bots, Spiders and other internet search thingies.

Option 2 - General News and Orders can only be seen by people who have logged into the Elite Dangerous: PVE forum. You do not need to have added the Order to your user groups.

Option 3 - General News and Orders can only be seen by people who have logged into the Elite Dangerous: PVE forum and have added The Order of Mobius to their user groups via the User Control Panel.

Sorry it wasn't clear to start with.

If Option 2 turns out to be the preference then I will ask for a forth section to be added to the sub-forum that will only be visible to people logged into the main Elite Dangerous: PVE forum

Thanks, Xebeth, that's the best explanation of the Mobius structure that there's been to date. It just needs rewriting slightly to make it into a sticky where even GlobusDiablo can find it (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3506).

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:23 pm

Feldspar wrote:Where's the everyone but Kharma option? :P

catignore.jpg
catignore.jpg (15.06 KiB) Viewed 2202 times

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

Return to “General Assembly”