Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: [HOW TO] Join the Order of Mobius forum-group

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:29 pm

Phew!

I'm still a little confused. Even when not logged in, I can see the Order of Mobius forum and two sub-boards. I see the same when logged in. What happens when I "join"?

Thanks.
It's time to give this another go.

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Xebeth » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:32 pm

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:Phew!

I'm still a little confused. Even when not logged in, I can see the Order of Mobius forum and two sub-boards. I see the same when logged in. What happens when I "join"?

Thanks.

You'll see another forum section in the Order of Mobius section that not visible to people who haven't 'joined'
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:05 pm

Xebeth wrote:
Roger Wilco Jr wrote:Phew!

Thanks.

You'll see another forum section in the Order of Mobius section that not visible to people who haven't 'joined'

Haa! I clicked on this from 'recent topics' and didn't even realize this thread was from the OoM forum. I was thinking those sub-boards were supposed to be the 'secret' content, but I could already see them. :P

Anyway, thanks for the clarification. Not doing PP just yet, but maybe later.

-Cheers
It's time to give this another go.

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo

Postby GlobusDiablo » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:12 am

Thanks to Loriath and Walter for wanting clarification. I too was/am a bit confused about this.

It seems to be a group within the group, but with the same rules as the group?...:)

Transparency and inclusion are two of the traits that brought me to love (strong word I know, all right - like) The Mobius PvE group.

Great care and thought must be taken, whether to split the group and for what reasons.

I for one will not be joining the order, but I will be spending all my time helping the order. As long as TOoM is an open invitation to all, to help as we see fit, then I'm in. I see myself as a freelancer, dedicating my time to TOoM.

If transparency and inclusion no longer are primary values, then I will be flying off in to the unknown, shrugging at how quickly great ideals were crushed by reality. Just as in real life. Not a big deal per se, but Mobius PvE is an idea for me, and if it breaks, I'm out (too :) ).

I have a strong allegiance to Mobius PvE and the ideals for which it stands. TOoM should not be able to compromise this.

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:28 am

I feel that the OoM forum should be available to all Mobius forum members, without having to join OoM.
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth

Postby Xebeth » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:21 pm

I have no personal preference one way or the other, I just view it as a bit of flavor. The Mobius group is an environment where everyone is free to choose to support TOoM, ignore it, or even oppose it (with in the rules of Mobius), the sign up bit is (to me anyway) just a sort of "hey I'm part of The Order of Mobius" statement. After this bit, everything else is the same, there's no restriction to joining, no interview ;), nothing really.

Like I say, I'm easy either way.
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:41 pm

Xebeth wrote:I have no personal preference one way or the other, I just view it as a bit of flavor. The Mobius group is an environment where everyone is free to choose to support TOoM, ignore it, or even oppose it (with in the rules of Mobius), the sign up bit is (to me anyway) just a sort of "hey I'm part of The Order of Mobius" statement. After this bit, everything else is the same, there's no restriction to joining, no interview ;), nothing really.

Like I say, I'm easy either way.

I agree. But using the Mobius name within the Mobius PvE group should warrant something. And I think that, what ever that is, it should be very clear.

I reread Mobius' intial "what is TOoM" statement, found here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3197#p35801

This part in particular strikes me:
"Join the Order and help unify every pilot into one single cause of protecting each other.
We are all brothers and sisters in one galaxy and only when we are a unified force we are a true human race."

So again, transparency and inclusion are paramount.

The more powerful Mobius PvE/TOoM becomes, the more dangerous (pun intended) the organisation becomes. Power is a dangerous thing. Be wary that it doesn't corrupt you. :)

LionOfNarnia
Master
Master
CMDR: Lion Freeman

Postby LionOfNarnia » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:37 pm

The only 'power' that exists is the power to include or exclude from the Mobius private group in-game, which always has & always will remain in the hands of the single creator of the group.

Everything else is the synergistic power of freely cooperating human beings, whether that comes from the 'hive mind', or from choosing to actively participate in 'guided' actions.

You talk about transparency & inclusiveness so - What are you REALLY so scared of?
"I don't always kill & eat things - but when I do it's because I'm a Lion & they were things"

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby GlobusDiablo » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:58 pm

LionOfNarnia wrote:The only 'power' that exists is the power to include or exclude from the Mobius private group in-game, which always has & always will remain in the hands of the single creator of the group.

Everything else is the synergistic power of freely cooperating human beings, whether that comes from the 'hive mind', or from choosing to actively participate in 'guided' actions.

You talk about transparency & inclusiveness so - What are you REALLY so scared of?

I thought it was obvious. A group within the group, claiming a name and ideals that they may or may not represent? Classic. Mark my words, young padawan. This debate may seem futile to you now, but TOoM can indeed prove to be the true testing ground of Mobius PvE. Egos run amok, especially in a no consequence, anonymous environment.

A healthy portion of scepticism isn't necessarily a bad thing. :)

But let's speak again in the near future, and see where developments takes this. :)

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:43 pm

GlobusDiablo wrote:
LionOfNarnia wrote:The only 'power' that exists is the power to include or exclude from the Mobius private group in-game, which always has & always will remain in the hands of the single creator of the group.

I thought it was obvious. A group within the group, claiming a name and ideals that they may or may not represent? Classic. Mark my words, young padawan. This debate may seem futile to you now, but TOoM can indeed prove to be the true testing ground of Mobius PvE. Egos run amok, especially in a no consequence, anonymous environment.

A healthy portion of scepticism isn't necessarily a bad thing. :)

But let's speak again in the near future, and see where developments takes this. :)

Having played eve online for more than half a decade I definetely see what you are thinking, in my experience in any group with more than say 7-9 members you will start to see cliques form, thats honestly just human nature.
And we have at least a few major cliques already, those of us here on the elitepve forum, those on the TS server (suprisingly little overlap)

Then again Mobius pve isn't much of a community in and of itself, its simply a game mechanic used by the founder to say "hey wanna play nice with people?" and that's it.
Granted simply sending a join request to Mobius acts as a litmus test in dedication to the game, there are many many others who just dont read forums, be them FD's own, reddit this or many many more are usually much more dedicated gamers than those who buy ED, say cool play for 20-30 hours and never logs in again, heck out of the 13000+ Mobius members, barely more than 3000 has signed up for this forum thats about 23% of those who joined mobius.

Anyhoo, I digress and I think I lost my own point along the line.
Oh, yes, since the group play mode really isn't anything defined further than "PVE", the ingame faction "The Order of Mobius" will have to be something quite different than group play mode, for starters we already cross all modes of play since this is running off the same backround sim (broken as it may be)

As for the addition of the TOoM forum group is perhaps more a case of the forum boards own mechanics than anything more planned, having a forum group like this allows to set additional mods and a few other things I'm sure without making them moderators on the entire board (so you can try out people in mod role without risk letting them go totally nuts)

With what this particular group it might be simplest to have all registered members automatically join, but then again why not let them push a few buttons themselves I think I remember such group\user management was a major PITA back on our phpBB boards I used to admin.
Just paste a few howto's and let the interested join in on their own.

What we should is have a single sticky in the public section or something that is updated on a weekly basis with a few bulletins of:

# What's happening

# What we hope to accomplish soon

# How to accomplish said goal, for instance run missions out of both miller in Exioce and raff's in Azreal.

# A heads up note, like "try not to engage wanted npc's flying under the The order since this will hurt us, inow mind your targets in the RES's in exioce

You know something similar as to what is being done for power play on the FD forums and reddit already, like ALD's spreadsheet that is concisely tells you whether to fortify system x, ignore system y, and keep undermining system a.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Return to “General Assembly”