Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Unite
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Unite_81
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Refueling the SRV?

Postby Unite » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:19 am

Warning. The below is something of a nonsensical pre morning coffee rant.....

Having recently found my space wheels I went for a jolly drive last night for 15km away from my random landing spot on random planet. Found some materials, a crashed ship with an escape pod (sorry I didn't pick you up but I had no more cargo room) but then the fuel light comes on the SRV so called the ship down, eventually get onboard (don't get me started) then as I cannot find any refuel options I assume must be automatic. Soooooo 15km of this planet is loads lets go scout a new planet. Off we go and I find some geological features on a neighboring rock, land again, deploy SRV and WTF, WTAF still no fuel........ Head drops as a the picture of a laughing David Braben comes to mind.

Why is it so complicated? Why oh why can I not refuel it from the ships tank? Why do I need to craft fuel or go to a station? No frontier you're not making it more fun you're making an obstruction to the fun. The fun bit is exploring. The not so fun bit is searching for materials to craft fuel to then go back to the fun exploring. IN FACT why for the love of god is this thing using fuel? Surely by 3305 it'll be electric? We have photovoltaics now (solar panels that make electric). Surely by the year 3305 we might of tweaked this a bit and the SRV would be able to run of free electric energy. Or if your on the dark side then why not just batteries that I can recharge from my ship. In fact forget all that and back to the first point, just let me suck fuel from the ships tank using an old garden hose and leave the crafting for the mint afterwards.

To be honest I haven't tried crafting fuel yet because after discovering this I decided last night it was time for bed but if its like everything else in game the resources for it will be few and far between. I suppose I could just head for the nearest station but I want to explore a planet at a rate of more than 15-20km a time.

de Carabas
Master
Master
CMDR: de Carabas

Re: Refueling the SRV?

Postby de Carabas » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:05 am

The SRV certainly used to get refueled by boarding the ship. It might just be a bug.
Rename your screen shots automatically! - Screen Shot Changer Visit MartianFire for more info.

Walter
Master
Master
CMDR: Walter Wall

Postby Walter » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:10 am

de Carabas wrote:The SRV certainly used to get refueled by boarding the ship. It might just be a bug.

I don't believe so. The SRV gets repaired when boarding the ship but can only be refuelled at a station or by crafting.

It's a life management thing.

de Carabas
Master
Master

Postby de Carabas » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:28 am

Ah. Repaired! Yes the memories are coming back. I recall having to collecting material for crafting fuel now you've said it.

ignore me.....
Rename your screen shots automatically! - Screen Shot Changer Visit MartianFire for more info.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby TorTorden » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:39 am

It's sulphur and phosphorus isn't it?

Two of the most common materials to pick up on any rock, ice cube or wherever.
The only problem with this before is you would have to choose what mats to grab, now with the new sectioned pockets you grab everything until your full.

Also every time you land at a station you get a free topping.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Walter
Master
Master
CMDR: Walter Wall

Postby Walter » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:58 pm

Unite wrote: Why oh why can I not refuel it from the ships tank?

Ships and SRVs have different engines and different fuel requirements.

There are three formulae for crafting SRV fuel, each permitting greater range than the one preceding:
- sulphur + phosophorus
- sulphur + phosophorus + arsenic + mercury
- sulphur + arsenic + mercury + technetium

From this we can conclude that the SRV engine is distantly related to a 4-stroke side-valved engine, which can be persuaded to run on any liquid that has any pretence to volatility from margarine to Chanel No. 5. Both engine types pollute any atmosphere in equal measure.

Bear67
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Fortman, Otto Fortman, bEAR67

Postby Bear67 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:34 am

If we can Engineer our ships, why can't we Engineer our SRV's.

de Carabas
Master
Master

Postby de Carabas » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:33 am

Bear67 wrote:If we can Engineer our ships, why can't we Engineer our SRV's.

Who knows what may come? I think next for SRVs will be some types to choose between.
We have a whole new year ahead of us for development and no news yet on what is coming but some more SRV choices has got to be pretty straightforward sompared to other areas.

Return to “General Discussion”