Michael Brookes' annoucement about upcoming updates...

Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Neillm
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Zachus
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Michael Brookes' annoucement about upcoming updates...

Postby Neillm » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:22 pm

Sorry if this was posted elsewhere, but I just noticed this on the main forum.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=94899

Pretty much an announcement to say there will be announcements but still...better than nothing... :)

de Carabas
Master
Master
CMDR: de Carabas
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Michael Brookes' annoucement about upcoming updates...

Postby de Carabas » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:56 pm

and it's pretty much word for word what's in the Newsletter. A shame really as it would be nice to hear some news rather than news of news.
Rename your screen shots automatically! - Screen Shot Changer Visit MartianFire for more info.

BarkingMad
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Barking Mad

Postby BarkingMad » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:24 am

The news is ... there is no news.

Combiseries

Postby Combiseries » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:42 am

No news is good news.

Vandemar
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Vandemar

Postby Vandemar » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:44 am

He also made a post in on of the threads complaining and showing evidence that the ability to change who controls systems/stations is bugged such that currently it is not possible for player to change who controls a system/station.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthrea ... ost1517237

de Carabas
Master
Master

Postby de Carabas » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:33 am

Anyone come across any more info on these updates? Two questions going through my mind

1) The wording could imply that the Wings functionality is the first of the "expansion packs" that might mean additional cost (unless you have the pass). My logic here is that it says that it will need beta testing and previously that's only been linked to the major upgrades and not adding features that are missing from the base product.

2) How would the beta process work? Beta adds risks to your commander profile. It might need to be wiped, it could get corrupted, stuck whatever. I don't want that to happen with the profile I've been working on since release but I do want to help in beta testing (as a PB backer).

So, any thoughts? Seen any posts along those lines?
Rename your screen shots automatically! - Screen Shot Changer Visit MartianFire for more info.

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Flip Martin

Postby Flip » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:07 am

1. I don't see why only DLC features would need beta testing.
2. Hopefully, they'll also introduce at the same time the possibility to have several commanders.
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty! ―Douglas Adams

de Carabas
Master
Master

Postby de Carabas » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:21 am

Flip wrote:1. I don't see why only DLC features would need beta testing.

I see what you mean. Will need some good communication from FD to stop talk of 'unfinished product' :-) Personally I would be glad to see more coming that doesn't require purchasing of the DLC for some time to come.

Flip wrote:2. Hopefully, they'll also introduce at the same time the possibility to have several commanders.

Yes, that would be nice and in fact that's a feature in itself that would need beta testing!

Combiseries

Postby Combiseries » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:37 am

I don't see how we can beta test new features without those who were not part of the kickstarter. Wouldn't we all have to be on a separate 'beta test' server, which would mean either, a risk to our profiles or given another profile or a 'copy' of original profile on the 'beta' server. Unless of course the features planned will be tested as modules like the training modules in the main menu.

My first impressions of this are 'unfinished product' which to be honest is what it is. It'll never be finished until planetary landings and roaming work seamlessly, wings, mining on planets, walking around ships/stations/planets amongst other things.

I think we may be looking at around another three years before planetary landings are the norm.

Belgarath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Sperber

Postby Belgarath » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:17 am

I don't see beta colliding with the current game, because beta would be an additional software with a slightly different name / install path and running on separate servers with a limited universe (perhaps even only one system, depending on the features they want to test).

Return to “General Discussion”