Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Starman Jones
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Starman Jones
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

After the Type 6?

Postby Starman Jones » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:36 am

Almost git enough for a ASP, I think. Is it a decent ship for trading?
[url="http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=38362"]Image[/url]

Caliclo
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Caliclo

Re: After the Type 6?

Postby Caliclo » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:50 am

I don't have one yet myself, but I can tell you if you ONLY have enough to buy the ship then triple what you have before you buy it. It will take quite a bit to outfit that ship. At least double what it costs after you buy it. From what everyone says. Yes its a good ship, but only after upgrades.

de Carabas
Master
Master
CMDR: de Carabas
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby de Carabas » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:48 am

Exactly as Caliclo says, it needs a good wedge more to outfit it. I found that when I moved from the Type 6 to the Asp it wasn't what I wanted so I stripped it down to pure trader (no shields or discovery stuff, no weapons and all cargo slots) in order to start making enough money to get the upgrades I wanted.

It then occured to me that I could continue doing the same in a Type 6 for longer with a much lower buy back cost in case of issues.

Last night I went back to the Asp and have 88 load capacity and most of the kit I wanted on there. I'm taking a break from pure trade runs with some combat and missions before I go back to making cash to get the Type 7 and from there to the Python which is my current target ship.

EDIT: Might be useful if I gave a number! I decided to get an extra 3.5 million. This allowed me to get the very expensive beam lasers I like, upgrades to FSD and Power plant etc and some spending cash if needed. Reasonable upgrades are .5 million a pop on the Asp, the best ones are triple that.
Rename your screen shots automatically! - Screen Shot Changer Visit MartianFire for more info.

DustKart
Competent
Competent
CMDR: DustKart

Postby DustKart » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:57 am

I got one. Parked it up and continued trading in my T6 until I have enough for upgrades. Then i'll go back and fit it out.

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Flip Martin

Postby Flip » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:04 am

I have an Asp and I love it, but I'd say that if your thing is trading, you should probably stick to the T6 until you get enough for a T7.
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty! ―Douglas Adams

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:13 pm

DustKart wrote:I got one. Parked it up and continued trading in my T6 until I have enough for upgrades. Then i'll go back and fit it out.

Yep thats what i'm doing with my cobra at the moment.....I need an A4 power plant next and thats about 1.6 mill i think.......so i'm trading at the mo......if i get fed up i just take the cobra on a few missions.......

:D

*Edit*

That reminds me must sell the sidewinder for some extra dosh.....

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

Jed Caliber
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Jed Caliber

Postby Jed Caliber » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:32 pm

I'm currently at the Adder, grinding to upgrade the FSD so I only do 16.4 jump distance, but I only run the lightest equipement with no weapons or shields.

I'm working towards the Type 6, then Type 7 and then I don't know...but I had a question.

I see people "parking" their other ships...can you pull that ship out of parking anywhere or just at the station where you parked it?

If only at the station where you parked it...what is a good choice of station for parking in Empire space? and the same for Federation space?

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Flip Martin

Postby Flip » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:52 pm

Jed Caliber wrote:I see people "parking" their other ships...can you pull that ship out of parking anywhere or just at the station where you parked it?

At the station where you parked it. FD planned to implement an option to get your ship delivered to you in another station for a fee, but it's not there yet.

If only at the station where you parked it...what is a good choice of station for parking in Empire space? and the same for Federation space?

Usually, you end up leaving it where you bought the next one (unless you buy a Sidey just to travel back to where you left it, and sell the Sidey before coming back with your good ship). So it will often be a high teck system. Then, it depends on what your thing is. If you like mining, you'd rather choose a system where there are pristine or rich clusters to mine nearby. If you like bounty hunting or pirating, you'd prefer to be close to an anarchy system. And so on.
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty! ―Douglas Adams

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:09 am

I'd recommend an Asp. If your T6 is tricked out, you should get a lot for the trade in (make sure to sell all the upgrades first). You don't have to fully trick out an Asp if you are just trading, which will save quite a bit. The Asp will give you the most cargo capacity and still allow you to trade with outposts, which will allow you to build credits faster. Because of the heavy duty hull it can take a lot of damage, but it is expensive to repair, so it would be best to avoid fighting w/o shields. It's pretty fast, so it is easy to run from pirates.

Btw, I took out an Imperial Clipper in my Asp today. It was a stupid thing to do w/o shields. At first I thought it was an Eagle and was wondering why its hull wasn't going down very fast. Anyway, for the 10,000 bounty, it cost me 95,000 in repairs. :roll:
It's time to give this another go.

Starman Jones
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Starman Jones

Postby Starman Jones » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:00 pm

Thank you all for your suggestions. I haven't done much improvement to the 6, got rid of shields added more cargo space. Have been spending most of my time trading between to systems on 4 LY's apart making an average of 90k profit round trip.

I do have a tricked out cobra that I use for exploring and hunting.

It would be nice to be able to hire passage on a ship from one system to another instead of having all your ships parked at the same location.
[url="http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=38362"]Image[/url]

Return to “General Discussion”