Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Renown
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Renown
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Quick mining question

Postby Renown » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:27 pm

I have had ED since January 2015 and I have never done any mining. I have to mine 500T to unlock engineer Selene Jean, when you mine does the counter clock the amount your have collected/refined or does it only count when you have sold it? If it's counted when collected then is it possible to mine till the ship is full, then dump it and carry on (saving the painite if there's any there) just to get the mining count up to 500?

If so, tape the mining laser button down go and make a cup of tea and watch a good movie (recommendations welcome) ?

Yes I know "pirates" but I might take the Corvette into the field and keep the SLF on CAP so I can still have a power nap.
Last edited by Renown on Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bl00dh0und9
Competent
Competent
CMDR: bl00dh0und9
CMDR_Platform: XBOX

Re: Quick mining question

Postby bl00dh0und9 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:50 pm

I don't remember whether or not you have to sell the refined products or not. However "taping" the fire down won't work since the rocks you're mining have a set amount that "release" before you have to move on. I would highly recommend collector limpets so you don't have to manually grab the stuff you're mining.

Renown
Novice
Novice

Postby Renown » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:33 pm

I'll think I'll try a bit later this evening, then log out and leave it for a while. Log back in and check the info panel to see if it registers mining under "minerals refined" and tallies with the engineers screen for Selene Jean.

Cometborne
Master
Master
CMDR: Cometborne

Postby Cometborne » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:47 pm

For the 500 tons requirement, it counts as soon as it enters your cargo bay. There is no need to sell it, so just go out with a hold full of limpets and jettison the cheap stuff.
Dirty deeds done dirt cheap for reasonable prices

Renown
Novice
Novice

Postby Renown » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:59 pm

Ok, thanks.

Renown
Novice
Novice

Postby Renown » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:05 pm

I'm actually mining.

"Look at all these little things! So busy now! Notice how each one is useful. A lovely ballet ensues, so full of form and colour."

251 (units) refined. But god it's boring.

Edddelos
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Edddelos
CMDR_Platform: PlayStation

Postby Edddelos » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:19 am

Renown wrote:I have to mine 500T to unlock engineer Selene Jean, when you mine does the counter clock the amount your have collected/refined or does it only count when you have sold it? If it's counted when collected then is it possible to mine till the ship is full, then dump it and carry on (saving the painite if there's any there) just to get the mining count up to 500?

If so, tape the mining laser button down go and make a cup of tea and watch a good movie (recommendations welcome) ?

bl00dh0und9 wrote:I don't remember whether or not you have to sell the refined products or not. However "taping" the fire down won't work since the rocks you're mining have a set amount that "release" before you have to move on. I would highly recommend collector limpets so you don't have to manually grab the stuff you're mining.

Cometborne wrote:For the 500 tons requirement, it counts as soon as it enters your cargo bay. There is no need to sell it, so just go out with a hold full of limpets and jettison the cheap stuff.

Lei Cheung asks for 200T of gold. Thats if you have the invite. I'm currently mining for both Selene Jean and Lei Cheung.
Two birds with one stone or erh lots of astroids, yea thats it, lots and lots of astroids.
Last edited by Edddelos on Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:47 pm

Guess one day I'll have to endure the Pain(ite).......

*Grabs coat and leaves*

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

CMDR_Krusty23
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: krusty23

Postby CMDR_Krusty23 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:06 pm

I have a following on question to to CMDR Renown's.

I''ve just fininshed taking part in the recent CG's in the Wangal system and decided I can use the CG remward's to buy the mining gear to do the Selene Jean quest.
I currently have a Cobra III, AspX and a Python, which would be best (read cost effective) to kit out for mining?
Is this a profession where you can actually make decent money?
And does anyone know of a nice quiet system, not far from Wangal, where I can mine?

Renown
Novice
Novice

Postby Renown » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:49 pm

I think I can help here based on my enormous recent mining experience :)

For the quiet zone, I targeted a Low RES but came in low and early slowing down to drop out speed but didn't drop until I was seeing the rocks below me, then dropped out of SC. I was a long way from the RES but with just 3 or 4 boosts down I was in amongst the rocks. On arrival I was scanned once by a pirate NPC, because I had no cargo he left and once by a system authority vessel. After that I never saw another ship, so I think they are just programmed encounters. So on that I would suggest the one that can take the biggest haul of cargo and the most collector limpet modules. Don't bother with prospector limpets unless you are going to target Painite, which I am doing as the last 10T of my 500.

If you are dumping the rubbish as I am then any of them can do it, with careful managing because limpets take up the cargo space you are also trying to fill, so as soon as they fill you dump. But when it comes to the Painite you want to keep and take to Selene Jean then you'll either need to play the interdiction mini-game, run or fight because no doubt the game mechanics with throw a interdiction your way, so the ship choice is yours.

With: 2x medium mining lasers, 1 refinery, 2 collector limpet controllers, as much cargo as you can make then fill it with limpets. Some things refined were worth 300cr some were worth 2000+ cr. Basically go biggest on all that you can.

I spent about 2.5hr mining to collect 251t in total and watched Thunderball on TV at the same time.

Closest RES for general mining - http://edtools.ddns.net/res.php?s=wanga ... on&f_lo=on

Closest pristine metallic ring for Painite (possibly) - http://edtools.ddns.net/?s=wangal&md=200

Return to “General Discussion”