Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
lilmisschloe
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Chloe Bateman
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Tagging Targets Help!

Postby lilmisschloe » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:58 pm

So I have a question - when tagging targets by shooting them a few times......do I need to be hitting it near the ships final destruction or can I just shoot it and wait and have it blow up say like 30 seconds later and still get the bounty? (This assumes other CMDR's or NPC's are shooting it too ofc. :ugeek: :geek: :mrgreen: :roll:

CMDR Chloe Bateman

xx

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Re: Tagging Targets Help!

Postby TorTorden » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:10 pm

From my experience I think you would have to do the lion share of damage, or at least a few of the last shots, and stay fairly near before it blows up.

Just putting a few shots in and moving on to the next target has never worked for me.
Unless of course I have wingmates doing the killing.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Relix Typhon
Master
Master
CMDR: Relix Typhon

Postby Relix Typhon » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:12 pm

In my experience, as Tor says, distance is a factor, I've had it where I've boosted away to avoid destruction towards the end and not got the bounty. My estimate is about 5km
I've never tried putting just a few first shots in and waiting but, again in my experience, you have to get some damage in before they get down to 5-10% or you don't get paid.

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby JohnLuke » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:32 pm

This is an example of one of the reasons I like having a SLF pilot on board. Sometimes i will work the target down to 10% hull or so, and then head off to the next target while my SLF finishes it off. Occasionally the slf will get destroyed in the battle. That's ok because the NPC will come find me since I've shot at them already. It always works out just fine. :)
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:25 pm

If I'm alone I usually wait if something is getting battered.....

Then when the shields go down I wade in....Normally they are busy attacking the original attackers so you don't get much grief.....

In wing I just try to get there before the other basts blow them up.....

And YES Tor I'm talking about YOU.....

:D

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

DarkMere
Master
Master
CMDR: DarkMere

Postby DarkMere » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:39 pm

From what I remember from a video I watched, as long as you hit the ship within 20 second of it being destroyed you get the bounty, as long as you are also within a certain range. I am not sure what that range is. It does not matter if you only hit the ship a couple of times.

The video was on how a noob could earn 1,000,000 an hour in a basic sidewinder just by tagging Make a million in your first hour

I found this video long after I had gone past that stage, but to be honest I am not sure I would have used it had I found it, to me it's reducing the game to pure credit hunting and nothing else. However I do not see anything wrong in anyone else playing the game that way. One of his video's is how to make 15 mill an hour in a Python, I have never even watched that one, my Python makes much less and I am quite happy doing what I am doing.

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:00 pm

Playing with NPCs, I think you just need a shot within about 20 sec of the ship blowing up.

Playing in a wing, I think just one shot anytime will suffice.

Playing with other commanders, I think you just need the last shot, but sniping kills from commanders is bad form (the may have fixed this so you need the majority of hits).

And I suppose you need to stay in the area. As normally you'd be finishing off a kill that the NPC cops started, you will normally be there (or hanging with your wingmates).
It's time to give this another go.

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:59 pm

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:Playing with other commanders, I think you just need the last shot, but sniping kills from commanders is bad form (the may have fixed this so you need the majority of hits).

If two (ore more) commander that are NOT winged are firing at an NPC, whoever gets the kill shot gets the bounty. The other guy(s) gets zilch.

Since the bounties are duplicated in wings now instead of split, there is really no reason not to wing with other players when in a RES or CZ. I was pretty surprised this weekend when working a Haz-RES for the CG with one wingman and we ran across another commander (elite combat ranked mind you) in the RES and he ignored my invitations. I sent him two chat messages and two wing invites and got no response from him at all. Why????? Why????

Just wing up with people and share the wealth and fun!
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:45 am

JohnLuke wrote:
Roger Wilco Jr wrote:Playing with other commanders, I think you just need the last shot, but sniping kills from commanders is bad form (the may have fixed this so you need the majority of hits).

If two (ore more) commander that are NOT winged are firing at an NPC, whoever gets the kill shot gets the bounty. The other guy(s) gets zilch.

Since the bounties are duplicated in wings now instead of split, there is really no reason not to wing with other players when in a RES or CZ. I was pretty surprised this weekend when working a Haz-RES for the CG with one wingman and we ran across another commander (elite combat ranked mind you) in the RES and he ignored my invitations. I sent him two chat messages and two wing invites and got no response from him at all. Why????? Why????

Just wing up with people and share the wealth and fun!

Cause some people are idiots.

It's my revised occams razor.
Never bother to look further for a reason when stupidity fits the bill.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

*Al*
Master
Master
CMDR: *Al*

Postby *Al* » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:16 pm

Best way to make sure you max cash return on targets. Lean into that Occam Tor and ......Kill them, kill them all.

Return to “General Discussion”