Big row on steam at the moment..can't see it here..

Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
evovi
Master
Master
CMDR: Auloria
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Big row on steam at the moment..can't see it here..

Postby evovi » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:30 pm

I'm someone who came to this to avoid grinds, my game time is precious so I welcome ship transfer, I welcome the thought of being able to look for a group, teleport and then return to what I was doing, they did this in wow, and it had the same welcome as you - it spoils it, it breaks it, but it doesn't - it makes things more efficient imo... People very quickly took to it, farming things in remote place queued up for a instance or raid - it pops up when it's ready, you click and off you go...

In the background something has to be done with shards and instancing as its prone for bugging right now... I'm looking forward to it... Stepping into the ship with someone else - a little more involvement with the möbius group than is currently possible - even tho this is a massive group - it still feels empty because the Galaxy is far far bigger !

MrSandman
Competent
Competent
CMDR: MrSandman

Postby MrSandman » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:34 pm

Not really sure it bothers me tbh. If I didn't want to use the feature I wouldn't, therefore it would not effect my game one bit. Similarly if anyone else used it not really sure how it would effect me.
Its an ok addition that will be great for people that might want to use it. Friends that play separately but like to join up for a quick blast without half hour travelling to one another.
Just failing to see how this could cause much of an argument really *shrugs mutters about drama queens on the internet and goes back under rock

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Loriath » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:39 am

Um, how about we wait and see exactly how it works before we all poo-poo it? We have seen that they listen to our feedback so lets see what they offer, then give them our feedback.

Right now, people are screaming that they hate the food they are being offered without ever trying it before in their lives. How about trying it before spitting it out?
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

Daniel Dakota
Expert
Expert
CMDR: DanDak

Postby Daniel Dakota » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:27 am

I'm not going to Poo-Poo anything yet, poo-poo ing someone elses poo-poo is.... :) ah Blackadder :)

Telepresence is a thing now, so it's not too much of a stretch. Just the distance involved with SLF is small, how are they going to explain it when ppl are going to beagle point in an instant, and you can't take a SLF down to a planet from orbit.

Early Bird
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Earl B.

Postby Early Bird » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:12 pm

It is not poo-poo ing... It's just sharing opinions and giving feedback. When it arrives as it is intended now I will not use it this way. It is my way I play the game.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:58 pm

Loriath wrote:Um, how about we wait and see exactly how it works before we all poo-poo it? We have seen that they listen to our feedback so lets see what they offer, then give them our feedback.

Right now, people are screaming that they hate the food they are being offered without ever trying it before in their lives. How about trying it before spitting it out?

It's a row moved from the steam forums.

The steam forums are filled with juvenile idiots, to lazy, stupid or ignorant to even Google for a proper forum, they just click the link right next to their game title.

It's like the text version of xbx live voice chat...

As Lori says there isn't anything rally against, let's at least wait for the beta to release first.

As for networking, I would guess the code and connection needed for crew to be much simpler and robust than regular wing or instancing.

With as it is now, it needs to merge several instances, with constant updates to where the players are and where they are going, and of course npc generation, npc handover etc.
This handover of npc's was bugged giving us fun things like plasma cannons behaving as beam weapons etc etc.

With crew I expect this to be simplified greatly, there will be only one 'instance island' attached to the ship owner, the other crew men just hop on for the ride, locked in the ship, they don't need to report position, can't wander, can't form their in islands, don't need to take over npc ownership etc etc.
And since fighters have limited range, when they deploy won't need more networking than positional data.
I would guesstimate that a three man crew would use less than half the server/bandwidth resources than a similarly populated wing.

In short I'm not worried about the networking aspects.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Dave Sewell
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Markev Tierson

Postby Dave Sewell » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:37 am

The reason I started this topic here was because the STEAM forums were so full of idiots flaming eachother (as is usually the case) that I thought the discussion would bear more fruit here, besides..it's something that may or may not have a huge impact on certain aspects of the game.

The Teleprescence argument does my head in, it's a non starter really. Im out in the middle of nowhere just now and my comms system tells me that there is no one in range. For simple voice comms. So imagine the range required to establish an effective teleprescense link?? just for one minute. We can just throw TP out there, and be done with it, but that's TP for my bunghole quite frankly.

If we allow unrestricted jumping about the universe in order to please the next generation of gamers who want Elite to be something it is not, and never was, then it will soon NOT be Elite. We DO however need to move with the times..so 'jumping about at the blink of an eye..TP..whatever HAS to happen.

But it should be restricted at the very least to 'within the bubble'. Very Least.

How would it feel to the guy that just spent months going out into the black, discovering new systems and planets..to watch just a few months later, people jump instantly to the same point and take in the views on the back of one of their more patient pals? It would completely devalue the Exploration in the game.

I am not against the jumping, or the Multicrew. I just hope that they will ensure that the rest of the gaming experience is not undermined with its implementation.

The original Elite is often waved as a banner, it has been here, "I want people to enjoy Elite like I did back in the 80's" I spent most of my time on Elite back in the bl00dy eighties and it was excellent. If you want people to enjoy that experience, refine it by all means, add some things that were missing, but do it with respect. :)

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:51 am

There really is only one thing to do right now.

Wait for the beta.

We can blow up their forum when we have actually tested it.

As for anyone crooning about the 1984 elite, well, here they go.
https://www.frontierstore.net/eur/games/elite1984.html

Although I do think Braben might want to re-evaluate his chief designers cause quite frankly they seem to be unable to pile MMO features on a solo\small group co-op game...

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Dave Sewell
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Markev Tierson

Postby Dave Sewell » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:08 pm

TorTorden wrote:There really is only one thing to do right now.

Wait for the beta.

We can blow up their forum when we have actually tested it.

As for anyone crooning about the 1984 elite, well, here they go.
https://www.frontierstore.net/eur/games/elite1984.html

Although I do think Braben might want to re-evaluate his chief designers cause quite frankly they seem to be unable to pile MMO features on a solo\small group co-op game...

I couldnt even find where to post in order for the Dev team to see it. I just worry that having found this great reinvention of a game I truly loved as a kid, it will go and be ruined in order to secure the cash. I doubt it will turn out as bad as I imagine. :(

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:18 pm

I don't really think the development team reads the forums.
That's relegated to mods and community managers.
Outside of running beta's and bug threads.

The dev team is, well busy developing.
I hope.

It's a sad fact, but seems you might get more response via Twitter or lifeinvader.
Than their actual forums...

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Return to “General Discussion”