Big row on steam at the moment..can't see it here..

Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Dave Sewell
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Markev Tierson
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Big row on steam at the moment..can't see it here..

Postby Dave Sewell » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:30 pm

Well..if they do bring in instant Teleprescence...I want to be able to send back all my exploration data instantly...happy enough to collect the pay when I get back, but if we can now set up telep over vast distances there's no reason why we cant transmit exploration data!

Zeek
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Zeeks

Postby Zeek » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:40 pm

I'm down with this. It doesn't transfer my ship, but allows me to port for some quick civil war or res site with fellows gamers. With kids and the family my game time is not what it used to be. My two ships are a clipper for combat and T6 for trading, I've just started to touch the engineers and I think my max jump on my T6 is 21ish LY? Maybe? I can't even do the Wu Gungi (sp) imperial grind in my clipper. It can't make the jump between the two systems.

It would take a while to meet up for multi crewing probably the majority of my evening game time. I've always hated way points or instance jumping in MMOs so this goes against what I believe, but the inability to teleport my ship sold me on it.

Falcon_D
Master
Master
CMDR: Falcon Darkstar

Postby Falcon_D » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:30 pm

evovi wrote:I'm someone who came to this to avoid grinds, my game time is precious so I welcome ship transfer, I welcome the thought of being able to look for a group, teleport and then return to what I was doing, they did this in wow, and it had the same welcome as you - it spoils it, it breaks it, but it doesn't - it makes things more efficient imo... People very quickly took to it, farming things in remote place queued up for a instance or raid - it pops up when it's ready, you click and off you go...

In the background something has to be done with shards and instancing as its prone for bugging right now... I'm looking forward to it... Stepping into the ship with someone else - a little more involvement with the möbius group than is currently possible - even tho this is a massive group - it still feels empty because the Galaxy is far far bigger !

Wish I had a hearthstone like I did in my WoW days. Sag A* to home in one click. ;)

P.S.: To me it's more about consistency. :)
P.P.S: This just struck me on the way home from the bar *hick*.... If I can telepresence into someone else's ship why can't I telepresence into my own? If I can control an SLF through telepresence, surely I can control one of my own ships throug telepresence. If I'm at Begal Point then I will be able to run CGs/missions etc. with my other ships to break the monotony of exploration. :)

Dave Sewell
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Markev Tierson

Postby Dave Sewell » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:30 am

Saw this on steam, and although steam forums are usually full of rubbish I tend to agree with it.

"A Plea from the Veterans
(yes, I know, the devs won't see this. This is more of an open letter because posting this to the official forums is preaching to the choir)

I see, both on here, reddit, the official forums, and even the discord server, a lot of people who make statements along the lines of "A Plea from the Casuals" in which they basically ask Frontier to cut a lot more corners and make Elite as open to as wide an audience as possible and provide a huge amount of convenience to make the game more accessible to people who don't want to be invested in Elite.

I'm here to provide the reverse, because I rarely ever see the following statements be made unless it's buried beneath the aforementioned threads:

Elite: Dangerous is a niche title that fits a niche that has been left unfilled for a very long time, and turns away major publishers due to the fact that it is so niche and simultaneously requires a lot of effort and risk-taking to produce a proper game. Frontier thus far have done an AMAZING job at keeping this niche filled perfectly: Elite is a hardcore space sim that focuses on a personal experience in the middle of a realistic galaxy that doesn't care about the player. It makes you feel small and insignificant, and by extension forces meritocracy. Only the people who are willing to put the time and effort in to mastering the game, learning how to use the best ships, and participating in the ever-unfolding story will succeed. The learning curve for Elite filters out players who don't want to invest their time in to the game for the most part, which has resulted in the Elite community becoming very close-knit and interactive with the game in ways that I haven't seen in a long, long time. Elite is just as much a community as it is a game, and this is preserved by the continued complexity and difficulty of Elite. No other game like Elite exists, not the X series, not Star Citizen, not No Man's Sky, not EVE, they all come kinda close but they just don't have the same charm as Elite does.

Corners DO have to be cut for the sake of gameplay, but as can be seen by the polls in which players have repeatedly voted overwhelmingly to have less convenience and more realism, the community by and large does not want corners to be cut for anything other than necessity gameplay-wise.

Elite, as we already established, is Niche. And as with all niche titles, we have the players who come in, don't like that it's niche, and would rather the game be changed and molded to be more like their favorite games, be less niche and more broad-appeal, and it reminds me of what happened to Dead Space: it went from being a survival/psychological horror gorefest to a cover-baed action shooter over the span of 3 games, and then was declared dead because "people don't like survival horror" despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary. I don't want to see that happen with Elite, I don't want to see it go the way of a majority of niche titles that got a little too big for their own good and scrap what made them great and ♥♥♥♥ on the people who were drawn in to the games early on based on the niche appeal they originally had.

So, as a veteran player who has invested 1300 hours in to this masterpiece of a space sim: please, remember what Elite represents as a game, remember the community that calls the 34th century home, and remember all of us who allowed this game to become amazing. Don't go the way of Dead Space. Find ways to use existing game mechanics that can make the game more appealing without sacrificing the niche appeal, find ways to keep the games complexity and filtering learning-curve in tact no matter what happens. The people who want space calladoody can always find another game to play since those are a dime a dozen, but Elite is ours.

Would I like to see more people playing Elite? Absolutely. But not if the only way is to turn Elite in to something else completely. If that becomes the case, I'll take a bubble-wide chat channel instead thank you very much."

Return to “General Discussion”