Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Dave Sewell
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Markev Tierson
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

DBX ALL THE WAY

Postby Dave Sewell » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:31 pm

I am in love with the Diamond back explorer..cannot understand why I never tried it before. It is a little limited slots wise so no extra fuel tank or backup repair module, but apart from that...what a ship! and sooo good looking! Anyone else in the DBX fan club?

Taranava
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Taranava

Re: DBX ALL THE WAY

Postby Taranava » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:09 pm

Cmdr Chemtrail
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Brassik

Postby Cmdr Chemtrail » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:46 pm

I recently had one when I needed to get a run out to Maia and general bubble bouncing , before I had the funds for an Asp Ex.
I was amazed how good it was. A decent rng gave it a 35 yr jump. My grade 5 rolls for my asp only got me 45 yrs lol
Once I get playing my 2nd account a bit more I'll spend more time in both the DBX ans DBS

James
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: DAEMONSRUN9393
CMDR_Platform: XBOX

Postby James » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:14 pm

Decent roll on the FSD, and my DBX gets 45-48 depending on what I'm carrying , she's great for jumping far and nimble enough that landing is a cakewalk , Black Friday paint job and figure out what's making my heat sky rocket while on silent running , she's a sneaky stealth ship, really hard to see
Demons run when a good man goes to war

Cometborne
Master
Master
CMDR: Cometborne

Postby Cometborne » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:36 am

The big problem of the DBX is the undersized fuel scoop. It has a class 5 FSD that takes (up to) 5 tons of fuel per jump. However, the best scoop you can fit is a 4A, which delivers a maximum of 342 kg/sec. So after each jump, you need at least 14.6 seconds to re-fuel. A similar problem exists for the DBS (4A FSD @ 3 tons/jump, 3A scoop @ 176 kg/sec => 17 seconds).

This is known as diamondback syndrome, and it is a pain in the ass.

In the favourite explorer ships, the scoop is oversized for the FSD:
Python/AspX: 5A FSD @ 5 tons/jump, 6A scoop @ 878 kg/sec => 5.7 seconds
Conda: 6A FSD @ 8 tons/jump, 7A scoop @ 1245 kg/sec => 6.4 seconds
Cutter: 7A FSD @ 12.8 tons/jump, 8A scoop @ 1680 kg/sec => 7.6 seconds

Over a long journey, that tends to add up.
Dirty deeds done dirt cheap for reasonable prices

Dave Sewell
Novice
Novice

Postby Dave Sewell » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:43 am

Lol, i was getting use to the 'scoop every jump' lark until disaster struck last night 2k out from the bubble. I had set up my blog to catalogue my epic journey, enetered the first 'captains log' and then promptly planted face first into a hi-g planet and wiped out. School boy error. At least she's cheap to replace even with A rated everything...so tonight, after re-writing the blog..I shall begin anew!

Dave Sewell
Novice
Novice

Postby Dave Sewell » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:44 am

Taranava wrote:I might be a fan. ;)

http://inara.cz/gallery/0/21112

Such a good looking ship. :-)

Goobertech
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Shaen

Postby Goobertech » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:32 pm

I've never flown it. I saved up for the Asp but honestly I've been seriously considering it. I love the looks of the ship and the module layout is just fine. I've gone on 20k ly trips and never even powered up my AFMU so I don't think it's that big of a deal for cautious commanders. The 4A fuel scoop isn't a huge deal as I usually get close enough to scoop so I can check out the system while I refuel. May have to give it a go this weekend :)

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:41 pm

Yeah, I've never flown one either. I did the Wolf 406 Trans CG where the reward was access to the new ship, or a discount, but with already having an Asp and Vulture at the time, the DBX looked like a bit of a downgrade. Since then, they've been a bit of a bitch when flown by Elite NPCs, and since I cleared my save, I think I'll definitely give one a go. I just hope we get more ships out in Colonia before I'll have to fly back to the bubble to get a new ship.
It's time to give this another go.

Dave Sewell
Novice
Novice

Postby Dave Sewell » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:18 pm

Iv'e had a good bit of time with the DBX now and definately do not regret my choice. I chose a single AFMU over another fuel tank, and the long range scanner over the surface scanner, as my explore is for fun not max profit. You do have to sacrifice something due to the fewer slots, but nothing that makes the venture impossible. With the A rated fuel scoop fitted I do the same and just scope out my next journey stage while sitting and scooping..but it is almost every other jump in order to keep the tanks full. She's a good little ship and handles well if you have enough cash to A rate her properly and the rebuy when she's at full spec is minimal. What you loose in scoop time you make up for in jump range, as I am sitting with 30ly as standard. I have no hard points and only one heat sink for emergencies, all other slots are empty. The AFMU is powered down and I will only use it when absolutely necessary.

I recommend giving the DBX a chance, and personally prefer it over the Asp explorer and my trusty old converted T6, although the T6 makes a great explorer if fitted out correctly it just isnt that pretty.

And the sounds from the DBX.....oh man..the sounds... lol

Return to “General Discussion”