Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Steaksaucer
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Steaksaucer
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Is Wingman Nav Lock Bugged?

Postby Steaksaucer » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:03 am

So, I'm not sure if it's just me, but I've been having a lot of trouble flying in a wing with another person.

It seems that Wingman Nav Lock is bugged because I will lock to the other person and if they are the first to go into supercruise, it will pull me with them, but then immediately drop me out of supercruise and I'll have to charge it up again. Also, coming out of supercruise, sometimes it will drop me so far away from them that I'll have to go to supercruise again just to get to them.

The Wing Beacon also doesn't seem to be working correctly because it's not dropping wing-mates to my location when they jump into the system. Do I have it set up incorrectly or something?

How would you recommend flying in a wing? Should I just not use Wingman Nav Lock at all? Just leave the Wing Beacon on at all times, or only when I get to my destination? Thanks in advance!

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Is Wingman Nav Lock Bugged?

Postby Loriath » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:11 am

Wingman navlock does not work for Supercruise entry. Only for Jumps, or dropping out of supercruise.
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

Imo
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Imo

Postby Imo » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:14 pm

Yes, the drop at the wing beacon is broken for long. Especially when you try to drop at him in a resource extraction site your wing drop may fail several times before you finally arrive. Same when you engage into supercruise, your wing member is already in spercruise but the game thinks he is still in the res site so you fall back into the res where you come from. Quite annoying. :?

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby JohnLuke » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:42 pm

I recommend that wingmen use the wing beacon to see which RES (or other location) the lead wing man is at, then select the RES itself to drop into. Does that make sense?

But on a related note, I haven't seen much issue with dropping into a wing beacon reasonably accurately. I see more difficulty with guys trying to approach a RES when they aren't close to being perpendicular with the rings and dropping too soon.
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Steaksaucer
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Steaksaucer

Postby Steaksaucer » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:33 am

Thanks guys! Glad I'm not the only one. So, in summary:

1. Only turn on Wingman Nav Lock once you are in Supercruise or Jumping
2. Always have the Wing Beacon on so others can see where you're at
3. Enter RES at a high angle and lock on to the RES itself to avoid being dropped out too far away

It seems like Frontier would have fixed this bug already with the game being out for soo long?

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:01 pm

Steaksaucer wrote:It seems like Frontier would have fixed this bug already with the game being out for soo long?

Yeah, but I don't remember having all theses issues or restrictions when Wings dropped. I was winging up all the time, either with strangers, or more often with the ARF (Jaegers), and the only issue I remember was if someone got interdicted - I think we were supposed to drop out in a group for self defense, but I don't think that always/ever happened. And there was no problem with instancing either. It seems that the more they improve the game, the more they break it!
It's time to give this another go.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:38 pm

Steaksaucer wrote:Thanks guys! Glad I'm not the only one. So, in summary:

1. Only turn on Wingman Nav Lock once you are in Supercruise or Jumping
2. Always have the Wing Beacon on so others can see where you're at
3. Enter RES at a high angle and lock on to the RES itself to avoid being dropped out too far away

It seems like Frontier would have fixed this bug already with the game being out for soo long?

I only use navigation locking when a wingman is/has been interdicted.
As for traveling, using wingman target now also select whatever system your wingman has selected.
This is also much quicker than navigation lock cause you can charge and jump immediately, rather than having to wait for the first to leave, approach his marker and then start charging.

Just using Nav Lock for traveling means every jump takes at least a minute longer than it should.

Honestly the entire Nav Lock feature is ill designed from the get go.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

uvelius
Master
Master
CMDR: Uvelius Sång

Postby uvelius » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:05 pm

If you drop at your mate's beacon but only see his wing signal, and our FSD spools up immediately again, you have instancing at your paws indeed.

We, the Fuel Rats, have had issues with Navlock since we came into existence. The technical side seems quite complicated, with server lags, packet drops and stuff. Some of our most active Rats submit bug reports on those on a regular basis and already have helped to pin down (part) of the problem by FD, so there may be hope ...

From my experience as a Rat dispatch as well as our fellow Rats, these tricks of our instancing SOP might help you (not always though, instancing can be really hairy):

1. De- activate your navlock. Ask your navlocked wingmate go into supercruise. Enter supercruise yourself. Activate navlock on mate again. Ask him to drop.

2. If that doesn't work, quit BOTH game AND launcher, as well as your navlocked mate. Log both in to main menu, exchange messages there, log in, and the person who will light up his/her beacon invites to wing, the other navlocks.

Hope that helps ...

Return to “General Discussion”