Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Relix Typhon
Master
Master
CMDR: Relix Typhon
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

So I tried Mining tonight...

Postby Relix Typhon » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:39 pm

...and the mechanics of flying round, prospecting rocks, managing the bins etc is ok; I could see myself doing that now and again for a change of pace.
I was using a Keelback as I had one lying around but I discovered it's really not the best ship for it. After trying it and actually understanding the limitations etc, I thing you need at least an AspX or above.
Also there doesn't seem to be much money to be made. I don't fancy flying round with a full hold looking for missions to use the ore for.

So until I get a spare 20 mil or so for another AspX, I'll probably leave mining. OR, thinking about it, I could trade in the Keelback (7.2mil) as it literally has no purpose now I have the Gunship for fighter fun :D

Primeh
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Primeh

Re: So I tried Mining tonight...

Postby Primeh » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:05 am

My python as much as it pains me, has been relegated to a... "Miney Python" !!!! xD
I find mining a nice change of pace and with the python you get a decent sized hold while also being able to arm yourself and stand a good chance against npc pirates.

The money is far from worth it, but for a change of pace... and scenery, its definitely worth it from a gameplay side of things. Some of the rings are gorgeous and if you mine in the "hot zones" (cant remember their titles) it can be quite fun.

larrystorch
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: larrystorch

Postby larrystorch » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:55 am

Delurk mode enabled..... :)

I just got finished grind-mining in my AspX to buy and 80% outfit a Clipper and I discovered a few things to help keep your sanity and make some decent credits.

1. Mine in only Pristine Metallic rings. You can find them here: http://edtools.ddns.net/
2. Priorities: Painite, Palladium, Platinum, Gold (for credits); Osmium and (if running low on limpets) top off with Samarium for missions. If no missions available, sell everything and head back out.
3. Controlling faction(s) are in a boom state. I was getting higher than average payouts when selling (74k/ton for painite) and getting nice mining missions (lots of osmium and samarium)
4. Most importantly: Second monitor to read news, or even better, casually watch youtube videos.

You should be able to get by with a Keelback until you get an AspX: http://eddp.co/u/mbtSbHQm. 64t cargo, but then my AspX mines with only 72t since I run 2 collectors.

de Carabas
Master
Master
CMDR: de Carabas
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby de Carabas » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:11 am

I keep thinking about trying mining. Still never fitted a mining laser after all this time in game.
Rename your screen shots automatically! - Screen Shot Changer Visit MartianFire for more info.

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby JohnLuke » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:40 am

I still enjoy mining from time to time. It's a relaxing activity in the game and is a nice change of pace from the things I normally do in-game. The Python is my favorite ship to use for it. As Primeh said, large enough cargo bays to give you a good run in the rocks, lots of internal slots, and .... well..... PYTHON! :D
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

evovi
Master
Master
CMDR: Auloria

Postby evovi » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:41 am

Sorry to hijack - just got myself a python and one of my to do lists especially now I've finally jumped on to the engineer side of things is mining - can anyone link their Python mining builds so I can get an idea what's going on :)

Cometborne
Master
Master
CMDR: Cometborne

Postby Cometborne » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:09 pm

RD-83 wrote:I don't fancy flying round with a full hold looking for missions to use the ore for.

That is actually a waste of time, since the following change is documented in the release notes for 2.2:

- Set Mining missions so that they cannot offer the cargo that the player has mined as a reward

Either pick up the mission(s) before you start mining, or just sell.
Dirty deeds done dirt cheap for reasonable prices

Relix Typhon
Master
Master
CMDR: Relix Typhon

Postby Relix Typhon » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:00 pm

Cometborne wrote:
RD-83 wrote:I don't fancy flying round with a full hold looking for missions to use the ore for.

That is actually a waste of time, since the following change is documented in the release notes for 2.2:

- Set Mining missions so that they cannot offer the cargo that the player has mined as a reward

Ah, I didn't know that. It must be older guides that tell you to do that.

evovi wrote:Sorry to hijack - just got myself a python and one of my to do lists especially now I've finally jumped on to the engineer side of things is mining - can anyone link their Python mining builds so I can get an idea what's going on

Use this guide; you can outfit the core and hard points as you wish (apart from mining lasers).
https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous ... _guide_20/

hawkpilot
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Hawkpilot

Postby hawkpilot » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:13 pm

When I mine, I use a Python. I've used a Cutter in the past but I ditched it quickly because of the meh maneuverability. Mining is the worst activity in E:D and FDev should definitely make it at least more profitable/rewarding.

larrystorch
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: larrystorch

Postby larrystorch » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:37 pm

Cometborne wrote:

Then I hit a bug with that. I've had a few mining missions pop-up asking for osmium that I already had in my hold.

Return to “General Discussion”