Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Hawk862
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Hawk862
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Python vs FDL

Postby Hawk862 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:08 pm

So here's a question for you. Which do you reckon would be better for bounty hunting, a Python or a Fer De Lance.

I'm honestly not sure since they both have their pros and cons. Before the fer de lance got a bigger powercore i woulda gone python but again im less sure which to go for now, since im beginning to look at ships to work on grinding for next. Thanks in advance

hawkpilot
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Hawkpilot

Re: Python vs FDL

Postby hawkpilot » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:58 pm

Python is an all around vessel, FDL is a pure combat one so the choice is obvious. The latter has better shield cap, superb maneuverability and lower cost of ownership & maintenance. Its only "drawback" is the placement of the huge hard point which requires a bit of experience to use it effectively.

Quartz
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Quartz Christie
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Quartz » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:03 pm

As a combat pilot I prefer my multicannon FDL. I used to fly around in a python with two M beam turrets and three overcharged multicannons (two incendiary and one corrosive shell). It shredded everything but agility and speed is meh. I think purely combat-wise FDL is better.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:54 pm

That's the thing, the fdl is better at combat, but it's close enough.

But ABSOLUTELY useless at anything else.
The python is a great all rounder, and in some respects better than the conda.
Yes the yaw is quite dreadful, but I'd you know this and plan your engagements accordingly it's a beast.

It does missions of any kind, and trading at outposts (easily a 120+ ton cargo while maintaining full battle setup. 200+ max) and still jumps further than an fdl, them being modded or not.

If you are in the one ship category I go with python. The fdl is a second ship affair, you would likely fly your python to system x, then transfer the fdl to you rather than bothering to fly it there yourself.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Quartz
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Quartz Christie

Postby Quartz » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:22 pm

I have Asp Explorer for w/e requiring small (sub 200) haulage with an obscene jump range. I just pay to get my FDL delivered to me ;D

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:36 pm

In that case, have at it.

In the worst case you only loose 10% of the ships cost if you end up selling it.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Falcon_D
Master
Master
CMDR: Falcon Darkstar

Postby Falcon_D » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:40 am

For pure combat. Hands down FDL. Bought and flew it once. Got bored. It's extremely good at doing what it does. However, as Tor said, not good at doing much else. I went back to flying my Python (the FDL was a try-for-fun buy.)

I'm not the kind of person who likes doing just one thing for long. And the Python fits me perfectly. Also now I have a Corvette which I take into CZs and bounty hunting.

Have fun, fly safe. o7

Imo
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Imo

Postby Imo » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:26 am

I love my Python. :)

smartroad
Master
Master
CMDR: Lase Mooray (PC) smartroad78 (XBOX)

Postby smartroad » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:20 am

In the current Beta I have RNGineered my Python to be brilliant. Once it is over I plan to spend the time getting the resources to level 5 the FSD and thrusters. It makes it a much more capable fighter. I have managed as well to get an explorer version with a 30LY jump range with some judicious use of lightweight upgrades - something I have wanted to do for ages since I got my Python ages ago but its pants jumprange stopped me from doing it.
Group Policy - The Order of Mobius General Orders

Pumabear
Harmless
Harmless

Postby Pumabear » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:41 am

I purchased an FDL, sold it about 15 minutes later, while it's stats make it a good fighter, I found it way too limiting in all other departments, especially in optional compartments and jump range, I guess I just prefer multi-role ships, FDL is good if the only thing you want to do is combat/assassination missions, not much good for anything else in my opinion.

Return to “General Discussion”