Dave Sewell
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Markev Tierson
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Thoughts on how to deal with playerkillers in Open

Postby Dave Sewell » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:49 pm

Nothing needs to be fixed, because nothing is 'broken'

For those of us who prefer RP or friendly encounters there is Mobius. It is not 100% grief free..but as close as you can get oustside of SP.

Open play is a free for all, it was designed to be that way, and I doubt the Dev team care to change it. Why would they?

As far as griefing goes...ED is a kiddies tea party when compared to EVE. I put many hours into EVE trying to find a way around the mindless player killing morons, and eventually gave up when ED outstripped it in every way that matters.

I agree that playing solo is fairly drastic..I still enjoy friendly encounters and tipping my hat to fellow pilots..but we have groups like this that deliver a good mix. If solo was the only option and private groups did not exist THEN we would have a problem, but right now there is no problem.

Trying to force a way of playing and rules about player behaviour in OPEN is not the way to go. It's Anarchic by design. You either take the rough with the smooth or you bail and go SP or here..to the loving embrace of Mobius.

:)

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:36 pm

Totally agree with that one......

In real life terms......

I treat open like the real whole world and all the problems it has.......My delving into that and trying to change things aint gonna go far......

I treat Mobius like the minute section of the world I live in and act like I do in real life.....

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

Mikisew01
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Vandal Stormovik

Postby Mikisew01 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:03 pm

So, been playing with the different aim and what I have found is this. I have only once been jumped by a player in the last 3 months. I have been jumped by NPCs over and over again (especially if I have a bounty or something on my head). I have even gone looking for those places that we associate with griefers in the past. CGs, rare runs, new player spawn worlds, etc. I think as the numbers have dwindled, or players have gotten more and more things to focus their attention on, the griefers have gotten spread out, or just found other more enjoyable games to troll. Back in the day when we did not have the same volume of CGs, and when we did not have Engineer sites, Power locations, rare runs, popular worlds (Lave etc.), and ways to make money, it was easy for the trolls to find their targets. I have run the rare route Lave - Witchhaul - Altair? with all its lovely stops over and over again, and I have yet to see a single troll. Where this used to be the Caribbean of Elite Dangerous, it is now only NPC's that I ever have trouble with. And now with the minor powers able to be associated with player groups (and the natural diffusing of player base throughout the bubble as a result, I think the "happy days" for griefers and pirate factions in Elite have passed. The only place I found my one griefer in the last 3 months was a FDL driver on a community goal. I got pasted by them that time, but I just came back later and it was smooth sailing yet again. Also, the changes in how FSD interdiction works has also made it easier for me to avoid them (at least the smaller ones), and if Frontier keeps this model for it I think it will help. Personally, if they made interdictions of players quite difficult, but interdictions of NPCs more like they were previous to 2.2, I think it would go a long ways towards fixing the ganker problem. I have only had problems with gankers once they successfully interdict me. Any other experiences with them?

duane656
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Jackson Grey

Postby duane656 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:26 pm

How about a nice simple part solution ( I really mean only a part of it).

Don't make player ships identifiable on radar or scanners. Take out the square box (or triangle/whatever) and make them all solid.

That could probably be done in a very simple update and without causing too much fuss.

smartroad
Master
Master
CMDR: Lase Mooray (PC) smartroad78 (XBOX)
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby smartroad » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:58 am

duane656 wrote:How about a nice simple part solution ( I really mean only a part of it).

Don't make player ships identifiable on radar or scanners. Take out the square box (or triangle/whatever) and make them all solid.

That could probably be done in a very simple update and without causing too much fuss.

That's what I have thought about as well. Wasn't there controversy back before release when they decided that, people thinking it could lead to griefing?
Group Policy - The Order of Mobius General Orders

Return to “General Discussion”